IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

RSR Springs Installed, week later a weird metal noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 09:42 PM
kusiodamo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RSR Springs Installed, week later a weird metal noise?

Hello again all, Just finished installing my RSR awd down springs last week. Rides fantastic, and at first there were a few noises that got me worried but almost all of them have gone away after a week of driving. I should probably show some pics of the car but I haven't taken any since I'm still waiting to get an alignment but I will soooon. Anyways, so as of right now practically no noise except for the expected spring noises but there is one noise that pops up almost randomly that I'm having a hard time replicating. Basically it almost sounds like metal is sliding along another piece of metal in the rear passenger side wheel well. Not really sure what to think of it since I've only heard the noise 3 times and again cant seem to replicate it. tends to happen when I'm going a bit slower, somewhere below 60 mph, but that might just be cause I cant hear it b/c of wind noise. Today It happened when I was pulling out of a friends shop and slowing to a stop at a stop sign going like 5 mph. It happens quite fast too, a quick 1 second slide and then quiet. doesn't happen over small bumps or even decently big ones either everything just sounds normal then. The car definitely drives much better, but is a bit squirrely on turns and lane changes. After doing some research from other forum members here on CL I've found that the rear can toe in as much as 0.45 degrees and the front out by almost 0.30 after spring install!! (those are almost my drift specs on GT which is wild!) as well as camber out a bunch so I'm attributing that to the awkward turning but an alignment should help with that hopefully. SO my question is what do you guys think that sliding metal noise could be? I did end up being a bit rough on that specific caliper when I was working on that rear side too trying to work around it so I have a feeling it could be my brakes maybe a pad sliding on a rotor but I sorta doubt it. braking feels just fine to me doesn't pull to one side or anything like that. Thanks in advance, any ideas are much appreciated and as always...

cheers boys :-)
Old 09-02-20, 10:32 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Not sure about the noise but mine makes plasticy popping noises once a while. I was going to comment on the "squirrely on turns and lane changes", I actually felt the same thing. After I drove the car a few hundred miles as it's recommended to break the springs in, I got an alignment done and the car feels significantly better
Old 09-02-20, 12:07 PM
kusiodamo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ayee good to hear! mine also tends to make plasticy and springy noises every once in a while but those are standard noises and to be expected, its very good to hear the alignment fixed most of the awkward turns for you though that really comforting. Thanks man!
Old 09-02-20, 02:22 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by kusiodamo
Ayee good to hear! mine also tends to make plasticy and springy noises every once in a while but those are standard noises and to be expected, its very good to hear the alignment fixed most of the awkward turns for you though that really comforting. Thanks man!
Yup for sure, to be specific, I remember hitting a bump in the road and I felt like the back end of the car would be shifting in a different position than the front. I remember seeing my alignment sheet, all the measurements were all over the place. Hopefully someone can help you with the other noise.