IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Wrong Location on NAVI/GPS

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 07:11 PM
Mushi31
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrong Location on NAVI/GPS

2014 Lexus IS owner here. Original owner and nothing done to the unit. For years, the car has been throwing me out into the Pacific Ocean or even somewhere in the forest. I'd figure there was a recall for this and saw the TSB has something similar however after receiving my car back for this, I was hoping to see my Navi showing me the right location and it didn't. The Service Advisor indicated that the TSB Recall is only for the Safety Connect Location update which i find it ironic because our Navi is still throwing a wrong location. I am in LA but my navi currently is showing me near Vegas. Long story short. What has some of you done to get this fix? or Did you give up? Share your solutions as i'd like to know. I dont use the Navi however it bugs the living hell when im driving. Thank you.

*I did do a search and made my responses to those specific threads as there was no solution.
Old 09-10-20, 04:35 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 313 Likes on 240 Posts

Maybe 15 years ago or so, when developing a phone app that used gps and mapping data, we would get locations that showed us in the ocean, or someplace way east of our real location. I don’t recall the solution, but I’m sure it was some parameter error.
I’ve had no issue with my 2014, but sounds like yours picked up some bad data. You may want to do some trial and error stuff - reinitialize systems, i.e. disconnect the battery, touch the cables together to discharge components, take out and reinstall the nav chip, try a new nav chip, check gps antenna connections, etc.
Old 09-10-20, 06:40 AM
MadmanJay
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mushi31
2014 Lexus IS owner here. Original owner and nothing done to the unit. For years, the car has been throwing me out into the Pacific Ocean or even somewhere in the forest. I'd figure there was a recall for this and saw the TSB has something similar however after receiving my car back for this, I was hoping to see my Navi showing me the right location and it didn't. The Service Advisor indicated that the TSB Recall is only for the Safety Connect Location update which i find it ironic because our Navi is still throwing a wrong location. I am in LA but my navi currently is showing me near Vegas. Long story short. What has some of you done to get this fix? or Did you give up? Share your solutions as i'd like to know. I dont use the Navi however it bugs the living hell when im driving. Thank you.

*I did do a search and made my responses to those specific threads as there was no solution.

I had a similar issue after Lexus replaced my head unit in my 2017 IS 300 as it was constantly rebooting in cold weather. After they replaced the unit my GPS was also showing the wrong location. It turned out that they forgot to reconnect the GPS attenna to the unit.

Does your GPS show that it has locked onto a signal? I believe it should show a “GPS” on the left side of the screen if it has. Mine was not until they hooked the antenna back up.

There is also a spot where you can calibrate the GPS in the settings. I just don’t recall what menu it is.
Old 09-10-20, 07:23 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

In addition to MadmanJay's suggestions above, you can access the Navi service menu to see if the unit is actually connected to any satellites.
If it's not, this explains the issue you're having 100%. Then you just need to figure out why it's not connecting to any satellites. Most obvious thing, as mentioned above, is the GPS antenna.
I believe the recall is only a software update, which means that now the unit has the correct parameters to locate you, but if the GPS antenna has an issue, Safety Connect still won't be able to find you.
Old 09-10-20, 08:03 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
In addition to MadmanJay's suggestions above, you can access the Navi service menu to see if the unit is actually connected to any satellites.
If it's not, this explains the issue you're having 100%. Then you just need to figure out why it's not connecting to any satellites. Most obvious thing, as mentioned above, is the GPS antenna.
I believe the recall is only a software update, which means that now the unit has the correct parameters to locate you, but if the GPS antenna has an issue, Safety Connect still won't be able to find you.
Any tips on how to get the dealer to update your gps maps for free? How much time/effort does it actually take them to do it?
Old 09-10-20, 08:35 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
Any tips on how to get the dealer to update your gps maps for free? How much time/effort does it actually take them to do it?
The map is on the micro SD card, so it's more of a replacement situation than upgrade. There would have to be something wrong with the card for the dealer to warranty a replacement.
The card in your car can only be used with your car...so if you install a brand new card, the old one is garbage. You can't use it in another Lexus and you can't even format it to use as a storage device either.
You can purchase the card at the Parts department an put it in yourself...takes seconds.