IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Looking to buy an IS350. Anything in particular to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-20, 01:27 PM
SPRINKLES
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Looking to buy an IS350. Anything in particular to look for?

Hello. We are looking at getting my wife a '17-current IS350. Test drove a 2020 white IS350 A8 RWD FSport and loved it. The variable cruise control seemed to work incredibly well. My wife loved the red bolstered seats. I'm iffy on the dash layout and I've heard the stereo system linking w/ a phone can be quirky, but I don't know much else about that. So far, we're leaning towards the A8 RWD simply b/c of how smooth it shifts. Plus, I tend to gravitate more towards RWDs.

Are there any trim/packages/years to avoid?
Are there any "must haves" in terms of features that we should look for?

Anything else you want to mention will be great. Thanks.

Old 10-09-20, 02:48 PM
ihateu3
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

These cars do not have many issues that you need to be aware of, or look out for. There are several variations to be aware of, you already know you want the 350, so that helps narrow it down to 4 variations, which is the RWD, AWD, Fsport RWD or Fsport AWD. The RWD models get the better 8 speed transmission with manual paddle shifting, while the AWD keep the 6 speed from the previous 2nd generation models, the 6 speed has a sort of faux paddle shifting, that sets the highest gear it will shift into, instead of true shifts from the paddles.

The infotainment is pretty dated at this point, and was never really that great to begin with, but is ok enough to not be of too much issues.

The only thing I would like to mention, is that if I was looking to purchase currently, I probably would go with a Kia Stinger GT. The Lexus build is nicer and of course one of the most reliable cars available, but the Stinger is a true GT, and extremely cheap to make fast. If you are looking to upgrade HP, the IS350 is going to cost $10k+ to make decently quick with 420 or so WHP, where the Stinger GT can put down 450WHP for around $500. Also, the Stinger has much better infotainment and tech features. If HP and infotainment is not an issue, than none of that matters, but I wanted you to be aware of that. Both cars are good looking, but IMO, the 3rd gen Lexus IS, is the best looking car available in its segment, as well as others, but that is personal taste.

If you do decide to go with a Stinger, be sure to buy new, since there is a lease trick that will put the cost of a brand new one down to that of a 2-3 year old used one. You can look up the stinger lease hack, but essentially all it is, is first talking the dealership down 10% off the car total, and once you do that, tell them you would like to lease the car, which nets you another $4500-$6300 off (depending on the model you choose GT,GT1,GT2) your negotiated total. After a few days, you can buy the lease out online on Kias website with no penalty. This buyout can be financed.

Anyways, I know you came to a Lexus forum, looking for Lexus advice, but as a car enthusiast, I just wanted to throw that in there to make sure you are aware of another option that is a pretty good competitor, especially after the lease hack.
The following users liked this post:
SPRINKLES (10-10-20)
Old 10-10-20, 07:20 AM
SPRINKLES
Driver

Thanks for the detailed reply & I appreciate you addressing it from different angles. We would be getting an A8 RWD FSport. We have looked at and considered a Stinger GT. They've caught our eye on several occasions... especially when they're lowered a little. My issue w/ the Kia is the build quality won't be what the Lexus is... in terms of both materials used and reliability. As a car enthusiast, as well ('02 Trans Am making close to 500 HP to the wheels), power was a consideration... but this one isn't for me. My wife currently drives an '08 Acura TL and she has been pleased w/ its performance. While the IS 350 isn't anything to write home about in terms of straight line performance, it does have more power and is faster than her current car. However, the inner performance part of me would love to drop one of the LS motors I have lying around into an IS 350. Also, while the Kia isn't a "big" car, it is bigger than the IS... and she loves the size of the IS.

The informant system was a concern to me, but not so much to her. The Acura we currently own is so basic that it doesn't even have BT. Heck, it's probably one of the last cars on the road w/ a tape deck (Also has a CD player). I'm guessing/assuming there is an aftermarket informant system available for the Lexus... and if not, that's not a big deal. Both in my T/A and my Jeep, I'm running a cheap media player w/ BT & hands-free calling and it does the job just fine and it was a bottom of the line. Surely something of higher quality is available for the Lexus if the stock system is too clunky.

Thanks again for the reply. :hifive:
Old 10-15-20, 09:16 PM
Blaque Diamond Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Just get it and enjoy it

Our customer got the ’17 IS350 F Sport and so far had nothing but so much love for it

Old 10-16-20, 05:13 AM
Sid03SVT
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Worth noting - 2018 and newer RWD F-sport models will have a factory LSD, in my mind a requirement for a RWD car (I have a 2015 and am trying to source one currently).

Connecting my phone was easy and it connects automatically every time I get in the car, although the infotainment is dated, it functions well enough.
Cupholders are not passenger friendly.
I would take (and did take) a Lexus over an Acura any day. It's not brand loyalty, it's drivetrain related; longitudinal engine orientation is just better than transverse.
Stinger GT is a nice car, but also a heavier car; worth noting, as the IS is about as heavy as I want to go which is why I wouldn't go Stinger GT or Charger w/Scat Pack, I also test drove a Chevy SS while shopping, I liked it, but it wasn't worth the money or weight penalty compared to the IS350, felt very heavy, as did the 340i I test drove.
But get out there and test drive stuff - I DO NOT suggest a 340i btw, unless it's a lease, I'm mechanically inclined and would have been willing to work on it myself if the drive had been worth it, but it wasn't.
Old 10-17-20, 12:01 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by ihateu3
These cars do not have many issues that you need to be aware of, or look out for. There are several variations to be aware of, you already know you want the 350, so that helps narrow it down to 4 variations, which is the RWD, AWD, Fsport RWD or Fsport AWD. The RWD models get the better 8 speed transmission with manual paddle shifting, while the AWD keep the 6 speed from the previous 2nd generation models, the 6 speed has a sort of faux paddle shifting, that sets the highest gear it will shift into, instead of true shifts from the paddles.

The infotainment is pretty dated at this point, and was never really that great to begin with, but is ok enough to not be of too much issues.

The only thing I would like to mention, is that if I was looking to purchase currently, I probably would go with a Kia Stinger GT. The Lexus build is nicer and of course one of the most reliable cars available, but the Stinger is a true GT, and extremely cheap to make fast. If you are looking to upgrade HP, the IS350 is going to cost $10k+ to make decently quick with 420 or so WHP, where the Stinger GT can put down 450WHP for around $500. Also, the Stinger has much better infotainment and tech features. If HP and infotainment is not an issue, than none of that matters, but I wanted you to be aware of that. Both cars are good looking, but IMO, the 3rd gen Lexus IS, is the best looking car available in its segment, as well as others, but that is personal taste.

If you do decide to go with a Stinger, be sure to buy new, since there is a lease trick that will put the cost of a brand new one down to that of a 2-3 year old used one. You can look up the stinger lease hack, but essentially all it is, is first talking the dealership down 10% off the car total, and once you do that, tell them you would like to lease the car, which nets you another $4500-$6300 off (depending on the model you choose GT,GT1,GT2) your negotiated total. After a few days, you can buy the lease out online on Kias website with no penalty. This buyout can be financed.

Anyways, I know you came to a Lexus forum, looking for Lexus advice, but as a car enthusiast, I just wanted to throw that in there to make sure you are aware of another option that is a pretty good competitor, especially after the lease hack.
About the Stinger GT, don't have have a recent recall about the fuel pump nozzle?
Old 10-17-20, 10:11 PM
ihateu3
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by s3v3n
About the Stinger GT, don't have have a recent recall about the fuel pump nozzle?
I don't own a stinger, so I wasn't initially sure off the bat, but a quick Google search looks like you are correct. Should all be covered under warranty just like the IS recalls, so I wouldn't imagine that would change any considerations for the Stinger.
Old 10-18-20, 06:08 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by ihateu3
I don't own a stinger, so I wasn't initially sure off the bat, but a quick Google search looks like you are correct. Should all be covered under warranty just like the IS recalls, so I wouldn't imagine that would change any considerations for the Stinger.
Not on all years though, on applies on 2021 models. Manufacturing forgot to remove a plastic burr that will cause a blocked nozzle. Just thinking what else they forgot to remove.

Maybe not a biggie to change someone's consideration, but surely will affect their sales.
Old 10-18-20, 06:51 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

To the OP, I have an 18 IS350 F-Sport but in AWD. I'd say really the only things to look out for is I believe for the year of car you're looking at getting there's the low pressure fuel pump recall that has started early this year - it applies to 2017s and 2018s (not sure about 2019s). Also there's a sticky above about the inner tire wear, which is known "issue" due to soft bushings that the IS's have but there are remedies available to offset it and make your tires last longer.

Besides those things, I think you're good. I love my IS and its handling.
Old 10-19-20, 03:39 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The 2018 and newer have the 4G cellular connected telematics. The 2017 and earlier have 3G which will be discontinued in early 2022.
Old 10-19-20, 05:45 AM
SPRINKLES
Driver

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-19-20, 05:47 AM
SPRINKLES
Driver

Originally Posted by Gekko
The 2018 and newer have the 4G cellular connected telematics. The 2017 and earlier have 3G which will be discontinued in early 2022.
I will keep that in mind, but just out of curiosity, is that something that can be swapped/upgraded on a 2017? Like an antenna swap or something?
Old 10-21-20, 05:15 AM
SPRINKLES
Driver

Originally Posted by Sid03SVT
Worth noting - 2018 and newer RWD F-sport models will have a factory LSD, in my mind a requirement for a RWD car (I have a 2015 and am trying to source one currently).

Connecting my phone was easy and it connects automatically every time I get in the car, although the infotainment is dated, it functions well enough.
I would take (and did take) a Lexus over an Acura any day. It's not brand loyalty, it's drivetrain related; longitudinal engine orientation is just better than transverse.
Stinger GT is a nice car, but also a heavier car; worth noting, as the IS is about as heavy as I want to go which is why I wouldn't go Stinger GT or Charger w/Scat Pack, I also test drove a Chevy SS while shopping, I liked it, but it wasn't worth the money or weight penalty compared to the IS350, felt very heavy, as did the 340i I test drove.
But get out there and test drive stuff - I DO NOT suggest a 340i btw, unless it's a lease, I'm mechanically inclined and would have been willing to work on it myself if the drive had been worth it, but it wasn't.
Thanks for this about the LSD in the '18+. That'll certainly eliminate the '17 from consideration. She currently has an '08 Acura TL and while it's been a great car w/ no issues (192k miles thus far), I've never been a fan of FWD or the transverse engine. We looked at the new Acuras, but not a fan... even though it did have more power and is probably better equipped, it's a larger car and very bland compared to the IS350.
Old 10-21-20, 06:04 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SPRINKLES
I will keep that in mind, but just out of curiosity, is that something that can be swapped/upgraded on a 2017? Like an antenna swap or something?
no it can't.

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...ervices-update
Old 10-21-20, 06:07 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sid03SVT

why is the "factory LSD" important?

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an IS350. Anything in particular to look for?