IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Getting the is350 under 5 seconds 0-60

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-20, 04:55 PM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I've owned a STI, S2000, GTI and now the IS350 AWD. The IS is not for anyone wanting pure speed, it's simply not set up for that. It's setup for reliability and long lasting fun, its for someone who wants to go fast only some of the time with some comfort. You get the IS because you do not want to deal with installing an oil catch can or worrying about your rings cracking... That sort of stuff.
The following 4 users liked this post by manchild:
GNS (10-12-20), Ismelllike (10-11-20), llO0DQLE (09-29-23), m0chafrap (10-13-20)
Old 10-11-20, 09:13 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by manchild
I've owned a STI, S2000, GTI and now the IS350 AWD. The IS is not for anyone wanting pure speed, it's simply not set up for that. It's setup for reliability and long lasting fun, its for someone who wants to go fast only some of the time with some comfort. You get the IS because you do not want to deal with installing an oil catch can or worrying about your rings cracking... That sort of stuff.
i have a 2015 350 AWD FSport, I wish they did some more things to make it FEEL more like a performance car.
Paddles should be mounted on the steering column not the wheel itself.
Stiffer rear sway bar/less understeer.
better transmission tuning the paddles are so bloody slow it’s a good 1 full second before car switches gears after using a paddle.
Better throttle mapping, even in sport+.
Louder exhaust note, stock is silent.
I think little things like that would make it FEEL better despite lacking on paper. And those things don’t really cost anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by NickCaesar:
m0chafrap (10-13-20), manchild (07-09-21)
Old 10-12-20, 05:19 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
i have a 2015 350 AWD FSport, I wish they did some more things to make it FEEL more like a performance car.
better transmission tuning the paddles are so bloody slow it’s a good 1 full second before car switches gears after using a paddle.
I think little things like that would make it FEEL better despite lacking on paper. And those things don’t really cost anything.
I don't know if the later models had a change in paddle shifter logic, but my 2019 will shift a lot faster if I'm giving it more throttle input.

If ​​​I'm flooring the gas pedal, 1st to 2nd is nearly instant, 2nd to 3rd and so on are about fairly quick, 0.5s or less.
Old 10-13-20, 12:43 PM
m0chafrap
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Agreed, I've always felt that the car looked way faster than it actually performed. Little things in the driving experience like you mentioned above (especially throttle and transmission response) really leave a lot to be desired in the performance department.
Old 10-13-20, 02:22 PM
Rhydg1
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by m0chafrap
Agreed, I've always felt that the car looked way faster than it actually performed. Little things in the driving experience like you mentioned above (especially throttle and transmission response) really leave a lot to be desired in the performance department.
IMO the full 7200RPM RR racing tune did a lot to improve the sporting feel of the car, at the cost of the transmission shifts feeling a little snappier/less smooth.
Old 10-14-20, 08:41 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by m0chafrap
Imagine if they dropped a ZF 8 speed into the car...fast shifts and shorter ratios would wake the car up without touching the engine or anything else. The ancient 6 speed holds back so many of Lexus's products far more than the 2GR engine.
The following users liked this post:
m0chafrap (10-14-20)
Old 10-14-20, 09:11 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
Imagine if they dropped a ZF 8 speed into the car...fast shifts and shorter ratios would wake the car up without touching the engine or anything else. The ancient 6 speed holds back so many of Lexus's products far more than the 2GR engine.
6 speed is old and by no means a performance transmission but it does shift pretty quick. Also has good gearing for 0-60 hence why it’s quicker to that speed vs the RWD models. They couldn’t link the 8 speed to AWD so no choice but to use the 6 speed. But it’s definitely old and needs to be replaced.
Old 10-14-20, 09:31 AM
Sid03SVT
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Having owned some quick cars in my day, I'll speak to this. I currently own a RWD 3IS Fsport so I can speak to that specifically, I did not buy the car for all out speed, she's too heavy with too few cylinders for that, I bought it as a comfortable family hauler/trip car with a little spank that I can trust mechanically until I EV's take over.

Firstly, a diff; if you don't have a 2018+ Fsport which comes with one, an LSD is required, otherwise it's just one tire fire instead of acceleration.
370+/- at the flywheel, and a redline bump (60 achieved in 2nd gear)
390+/- at the flywheel without a redline bump (60 achieved in 3rd gear)

To the transmission logic issues people are having with stock cars, although a ZF8 shifts quicker, the Aisin units shift nearly as quickly, but only if you're really going for it - if you're hanging out in S+ but shifting south of 6krpms and/or at moderate throttle inputs, the shifts are lazy/luxury. When I'm going for it, I initiate my paddle shift about 100-200rpm before redline to accommodate for the time it takes for my fingers to actuate the paddle and the paddle lag; the actual rpm buffer varies based on whether I'm on a flat, going uphill or going downhill as that affects how quickly rpm increase.
Paddles should be mounted to the column OR long enough that they can be actuated by the proper hand (right = +, left = -) during a turn.
If there is someone that lives in Connecticut with the RR racing tune on a 3is I'd like to check your car out, I've been contemplating it. I use different modes daily so if the tune can't handle it then it's no good to me; Frankly I'd be fine with the OEM tune & throttle mapping, I just want a slightly higher redline so I can hit 60 in second.
Old 10-14-20, 10:48 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sid03SVT
Having owned some quick cars in my day, I'll speak to this. I currently own a RWD 3IS Fsport so I can speak to that specifically, I did not buy the car for all out speed, she's too heavy with too few cylinders for that, I bought it as a comfortable family hauler/trip car with a little spank that I can trust mechanically until I EV's take over.

Firstly, a diff; if you don't have a 2018+ Fsport which comes with one, an LSD is required, otherwise it's just one tire fire instead of acceleration.
370+/- at the flywheel, and a redline bump (60 achieved in 2nd gear)
390+/- at the flywheel without a redline bump (60 achieved in 3rd gear)

To the transmission logic issues people are having with stock cars, although a ZF8 shifts quicker, the Aisin units shift nearly as quickly, but only if you're really going for it - if you're hanging out in S+ but shifting south of 6krpms and/or at moderate throttle inputs, the shifts are lazy/luxury. When I'm going for it, I initiate my paddle shift about 100-200rpm before redline to accommodate for the time it takes for my fingers to actuate the paddle and the paddle lag; the actual rpm buffer varies based on whether I'm on a flat, going uphill or going downhill as that affects how quickly rpm increase.
Paddles should be mounted to the column OR long enough that they can be actuated by the proper hand (right = +, left = -) during a turn.
If there is someone that lives in Connecticut with the RR racing tune on a 3is I'd like to check your car out, I've been contemplating it. I use different modes daily so if the tune can't handle it then it's no good to me; Frankly I'd be fine with the OEM tune & throttle mapping, I just want a slightly higher redline so I can hit 60 in second.
ive been debating the RR Tune for a year. I’m in Canada so after conversion, shipping, import fees etc it’s a bit high for 10whp BUT I’ve seen ppl with 3rd gen IS with the 6 speed hitting 67mph at the top of 2nd gear which is cool and must help the 0-60 a touch. I know it’s not a true performance car by any stretch but i think the tune would definitely wake it up a bit which is all I want.
Old 10-14-20, 11:35 AM
nallis
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transmission

I loved the previous generation RWD GS 350 or IS 350 transmission and dif ratios. Previous IS was great through 1/4 but dead after. The RWD GS 6 speed in the 07+ was sweet low, mid and high. Not fast cars by any means but in the real world they spank the crap out of my current 14 IS 350. I know because I had all three. Before selling the previous gen IS, when I got the GS, I raced then against each other. IS kills the GS down low but rolling runs and the GS embarrassed the IS. IS is dead after 1/4 mile or anything rolling from 60 up. I raced the GS 350 against my current 14 IS 350 and the GS walked my IS. They were pretty close on top and mid and it's really just who gets the jump. But lo range the big *** GS walked the 3IS 350.

Last edited by nallis; 10-14-20 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-14-20, 12:19 PM
syed4gr
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The 8 Speed honestly shifts fairly quick at WOT in S+.

Last edited by syed4gr; 10-14-20 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-14-20, 12:28 PM
syed4gr
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

ive been debating the RR Tune for a year. I’m in Canada so after conversion, shipping, import fees etc it’s a bit high for 10whp BUT I’ve seen ppl with 3rd gen IS with the 6 speed hitting 67mph at the top of 2nd gear which is cool and must help the 0-60 a touch. I know it’s not a true performance car by any stretch but i think the tune would definitely wake it up a bit which is all I want.

RR Tune lets me hit 60 right at the top of 2nd gear (can maybe hit 62 mph in 2nd) so there's that. Transmission shifts do get a little weird under normal driving but the tune overall is great. I'd say 99.9% of the time, I don't even remember the tune being there until I go WOT.
The following users liked this post:
Rhydg1 (10-14-20)
Old 10-14-20, 03:38 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by nallis
I loved the previous generation RWD GS 350 or IS 350 transmission and dif ratios. Previous IS was great through 1/4 but dead after. The RWD GS 6 speed in the 07+ was sweet low, mid and high. Not fast cars by any means but in the real world they spank the crap out of my current 14 IS 350. I know because I had all three. Before selling the previous gen IS, when I got the GS, I raced then against each other. IS kills the GS down low but rolling runs and the GS embarrassed the IS. IS is dead after 1/4 mile or anything rolling from 60 up. I raced the GS 350 against my current 14 IS 350 and the GS walked my IS. They were pretty close on top and mid and it's really just who gets the jump. But lo range the big *** GS walked the 3IS 350.
Which year and model GS walks a 3is?
These are stock numbers from various sources.

2010 Lexus GS 350 RWD
0-60 in 5.7 and a14.3 quarter mile

2015 GS 350 RWD
0-60 in 5.8 and a 14.3 quarter mile

2010 Lexus IS 350 RWD
0-60 in Sub-5 seconds recorded and a low to mid 13 quarter mile

2015 Lexus IS 350 RWD
0-60 in 5.6 and a 14.0 quarter mile

3is 6 speed has exact same gear ratios for every gear as a 2is except the 3is 6 speed has a 3.73 final drive so not as aggressive as the 4.11 final drive in 2is.

From every source I can find online every generation GS is slower than 2nd and 3rd gen IS’s, that’s because they share the same power trains but the GS is several hundred pounds heavier.

Last edited by NickCaesar; 10-14-20 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-14-20, 04:11 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Which year and model GS walks a 3is?
These are stock numbers from various sources.

2010 Lexus GS 350 RWD
0-60 in 5.7 and a14.3 quarter mile

2015 GS 350 RWD
0-60 in 5.8 and a 14.3 quarter mile

2010 Lexus IS 350 RWD
0-60 in Sub-5 seconds recorded and a low to mid 13 quarter mile

2015 Lexus IS 350 RWD
0-60 in 5.6 and a 14.0 quarter mile

3is 6 speed has exact same gear ratios for every gear as a 2is except the 3is 6 speed has a 3.73 final drive so not as aggressive as the 4.11 final drive in 2is.

From every source I can find online every generation GS is slower than 2nd and 3rd gen IS’s, that’s because they share the same power trains but the GS is several hundred pounds heavier.
At those speeds, its whoever gets the jump. To be frank, anything over 14s in the quarter mile is really slow these days. 13s is adequate and 12s is where you get pretty decent speeds. I was hoping the new IS with the V6TT would get low 13s but I guess we have to wait.
Old 11-19-20, 05:15 AM
Sethman919
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems i might be the first to swap a 3.77 AWD rear diff in my 3is350 RWD. This IMHO is the gear ratio this car should have come with. No more sluggish acceleration from normal mode due to the overly economical gear choices. Just based on a video pull I am around 5seconds 0-60 with a horrible launch and traction control and wheel slip in the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I'm running a RR intake tube with K and N filter, RR tune, and an Ark grip full cat back.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sethman919:
redspencer (11-19-20), syed4gr (11-19-20)

Quick Reply: Getting the is350 under 5 seconds 0-60