Nitrogen Tires inflation

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 08:37 AM
Nguyenerr
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Nitrogen Tires inflation

Hey everyone,

Now that we are getting into the colder season, my tires are starting to lose PSI. Normally on my other cars I would use my air pump to fix that. But my IS tires uses nitrogen... I hate having to go to the dealership every time to get it filled up. Not sure how much that would be. But what do you guys use at home?
Old 10-25-20, 09:06 PM
JSunDerulo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nitrogen is only marginally better than regular air. I would suggest just filling it up yourself with a pump. Keep an eye on the TPMS and save the money and time from having to go to dealership every time for nitrogen fill.
Old 10-26-20, 01:55 AM
ChineseKFC
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

bought a tire pump that uses the cigarettes lighter, remember air is about 80% nitrogen so you'll be fine
Old 10-26-20, 05:44 AM
Sid03SVT
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

What the above have mentioned, just fill with compressed air; the benefits of Nitrogen filling are marginal at best, especially when you consider the environmental impacts associated with it.
Old 10-26-20, 08:47 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 202 Posts

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/top-...elp-your-tyres
Old 10-26-20, 09:06 AM
TLeexus
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

https://www.dewalt.com/products/stor...lator/dcc020ib

this compressor is amazing and actually pretty fast .... 5psi takes about 1 minutes. it can auto shutoff at a configured PSI as well.

quick question ... does your dealership charge you? or is it courtesy when you're getting other service done?

Last edited by TLeexus; 10-26-20 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-28-20, 05:54 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

^ Agree with above. I have this from Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-DC-1...ric/1000092575

Have it in the garage for my cars and bikes for pumping air in tires. Allows you to preset PSI you want and has an auto shut off once PSI is reached. Well worth the money; got tired of dropping quarters in those gas station air pumps.
Old 10-28-20, 06:01 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Nitrogen gas is a scam, not the gas itself lasting long but dealerships charging $200-250 for it. You literally can't fill this type air anywhere at a gas station. When you go get new tires, wherever you get it from, they will put regular air in it. Long story short, you will be driving on Nitrogen for the life of the tires you currently have (which on OEM will be 15K-20K miles), then go back to normal air.

Old 10-28-20, 06:32 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 158 Posts

I bought a Slime air compressor for putting air in our tires, for about $30, years ago.
Old 10-28-20, 11:38 PM
athanato
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Wheels shops admit nitrogen is pointless and a waste of time as such a lot of them have stopped using it. It's only marginal use is on the track and even then it doesn't help much.
Just get a digital air pump that monitors the pressure to stop filling air at the target psi. I got mine for $50 CDN
The following 2 users liked this post by athanato:
arentz07 (10-30-20), Jazzrock (10-28-20)
Old 10-30-20, 08:06 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Yeah, can confirm I've noticed no difference as, over time, I switched my IS from using nitrogen to just air. Seemed to fluctuate no more with air than with nitrogen. I know the science contradicts this observation, but I guess the benefits are so small that you couldn't really tell. Plus, nitrogen is not free, but if you have even a cheap bike tire pump, you have all the free air you could want.
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (10-30-20)
Old 10-30-20, 10:29 PM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

I have this one I bought from Amazon. Very happy with it.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-05-21, 05:26 PM
DrQuality
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

For those contemplating and/or maintaining nitrogen in tires, you may wish to consider the following information found within Lexus Tech Tip L-TT-0068-11 [2013-07-02]: "Best Practice For Tire Rotation & Nitrogen Filling Procedures."

Regarding nitrogen filling, it states "Some customers may complain about vehicle vibration due to incorrect tire balance following a nitrogen refill. It has been found that nitrogen replacement may cause tire out-of-balance conditions if the tire is deflated and refilled with weight on the tire. When the original air in a tire is evacuated during the replacement procedure, the internal pressure against the tire carcass is reduced. If the vehicle is on-the-ground during this procedure, the low tire inflation pressures may cause the tire sidewall to compress. When performing nitrogen replacement procedure with the tire/wheel on the vehicle, ensure the vehicle is lifted on a rack or jack stands. This prevents the weight of the vehicle from compressing the tire sidewall when tire pressure is reduced. Alternatively, the nitrogen replacement procedure may also be performed with the wheel/tire removed from the vehicle and suspended off-the-ground; for example, on a wheel/tire balancer machine."
Old 07-05-21, 06:02 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by DrQuality
For those contemplating and/or maintaining nitrogen in tires, you may wish to consider the following information found within Lexus Tech Tip L-TT-0068-11 [2013-07-02]: "Best Practice For Tire Rotation & Nitrogen Filling Procedures."

Regarding nitrogen filling, it states "Some customers may complain about vehicle vibration due to incorrect tire balance following a nitrogen refill. It has been found that nitrogen replacement may cause tire out-of-balance conditions if the tire is deflated and refilled with weight on the tire. When the original air in a tire is evacuated during the replacement procedure, the internal pressure against the tire carcass is reduced. If the vehicle is on-the-ground during this procedure, the low tire inflation pressures may cause the tire sidewall to compress. When performing nitrogen replacement procedure with the tire/wheel on the vehicle, ensure the vehicle is lifted on a rack or jack stands. This prevents the weight of the vehicle from compressing the tire sidewall when tire pressure is reduced. Alternatively, the nitrogen replacement procedure may also be performed with the wheel/tire removed from the vehicle and suspended off-the-ground; for example, on a wheel/tire balancer machine."
Let this topic die. Nitrogen air in tires is a scam. Bought the car almost 4-5 years ago and I've yet to find a place to re-fill "nitrogen" with. Dealers don't do it, don't see it at my local Wawa. Never pay for that ******
Jazzrock (07-05-21)
Old 07-05-21, 06:35 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
Let this topic die. Nitrogen air in tires is a scam. Bought the car almost 4-5 years ago and I've yet to find a place to re-fill "nitrogen" with. Dealers don't do it, don't see it at my local Wawa. Never pay for that ******
Totally agree. Just put air in your tires and worry about something else.
swaangin (07-05-21)