IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Screen Mirroring iPhone to older 3IS

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-20, 08:42 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Screen Mirroring iPhone to older 3IS

Hey guys, it’s been killing me slowly since I got my car that there is no CarPlay... I’ve seen a few dif threads about different units you can install to add the functionality but they have mixed reviews and are quite expensive...

Found this old thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tructions.html

Basically with a few different wires & a beat sonic bypass module you could mirror your iPhone? It uses the a\v function..
I’m aware bestsonic sells a huge kit for around $399 to mirror...this way is about half the price but obviously not as neat as a lot of wires are involved.
Anybody done this? I figure it will cost around 200$ CAD to potentially have iPhone mirroring in my 2015 350.
Old 11-11-20, 01:41 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

If you can find all the parts separately it’s probably half the price of Beatsonic bundle. I have video in motion box from Prestigious Society that I’m not using anymore if you’re interested let me know.

Amazon sells all the parts needed - HDMI to RCA converter and Lightning to HDMI adapter

Beatsonic override box also does navigation input in motion maybe that’s why it’s more expensive but if you don’t need nav override standalone video in motion works just fine. But you do need to take out the radio to access wire harness.
Old 11-11-20, 02:10 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by dojoman
If you can find all the parts separately it’s probably half the price of Beatsonic bundle. I have video in motion box from Prestigious Society that I’m not using anymore if you’re interested let me know.

Amazon sells all the parts needed - HDMI to RCA converter and Lightning to HDMI adapter

Beatsonic override box also does navigation input in motion maybe that’s why it’s more expensive but if you don’t need nav override standalone video in motion works just fine. But you do need to take out the radio to access wire harness.
do u have a link for the bypass u have? Also did u have to use the actual apple OEM lightning HDMI or will a generic work?
Old 11-12-20, 08:42 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
do u have a link for the bypass u have? Also did u have to use the actual apple OEM lightning HDMI or will a generic work?
I don’t have the link since this company went out of business. It’s made in Japan by Prestigious Society. I’m not sure whether generic lightning to HDMI adapter would work but doesn’t hurt to try it.

Last edited by dojoman; 12-04-20 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-17-20, 08:50 PM
BronsDaGr8
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I highly encourage using apple products for the connections going in to your phone. I am running this in my IS, and from my experience, any generic apple product accessories + legit apple devices = ****ing issues bro. Just shoot the couple bucks and get the apple hdmi adapter. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-18-20, 06:37 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by BronsDaGr8
I highly encourage using apple products for the connections going in to your phone. I am running this in my IS, and from my experience, any generic apple product accessories + legit apple devices = ****ing issues bro. Just shoot the couple bucks and get the apple hdmi adapter. Just my 2 cents.
You are personally doing the lightning to HDMI to av/aux mirroring method? I couldn’t get mine to display video..I think the a/v to aux cable I got is garbage so I ordered the Zune one ppl say works well. If it still doesn’t work I’ll buy the legit apple hdmi adapter even though it’s steep at $69.99+Tax. I wish I knew screen mirroring was a thing when I bought the car 2 years ago.
Old 12-03-20, 08:47 PM
mazdamx594
Driver School Candidate

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you have nav or no nav?
Old 12-03-20, 09:04 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by mazdamx594
Do you have nav or no nav?
Nav. I’m in Canada, hard to get parts...I bought the Zune A/v to 3.5mm, apple lightning to HDMI, I just got the HDMI to composite today...waiting for a coupler then I can try it...first attempt did not work, the HDMI to composite converter I’m using is causing interference all I have is black wavey lines...I bought a HDMI to composite that’s basically the RadioShack one, does not need power...as soon as I get my coupler I can try it. If it works well I plan to buy the beat sonic over ride to allow video while moving.
Old 12-04-20, 04:17 AM
mazdamx594
Driver School Candidate

Nav. I’m in Canada, hard to get parts...I bought the Zune A/v to 3.5mm, apple lightning to HDMI, I just got the HDMI to composite today...waiting for a coupler then I can try it...first attempt did not work, the HDMI to composite converter I’m using is causing interference all I have is black wavey lines...I bought a HDMI to composite that’s basically the RadioShack one, does not need power...as soon as I get my coupler I can try it. If it works well I plan to buy the beat sonic over ride to allow video while moving.
Gotcha. Unfortunately the suggestion I was going to make works best with non-nav cars. If you end up going the CarPlay box route, I can offer my experience, I installed one on my 2015 non-nav car.
Old 12-04-20, 09:12 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by mazdamx594
Gotcha. Unfortunately the suggestion I was going to make works best with non-nav cars. If you end up going the CarPlay box route, I can offer my experience, I installed one on my 2015 non-nav car.
thx I saw that thread, I was seeing so many different reviews on it I wasn’t sure what to do.
I thought screen mirroring sounded like the cheaper, faster, simpler option although obviously it’s not even close to real CarPlay.
I believe I’ve finally figured it out, just waiting for something I ordered to arrive. The stock system is so bad screen mirroring would be a huge upgrade.
Old 12-04-20, 09:52 AM
mazdamx594
Driver School Candidate

thx I saw that thread, I was seeing so many different reviews on it I wasn’t sure what to do.
I thought screen mirroring sounded like the cheaper, faster, simpler option although obviously it’s not even close to real CarPlay.
I believe I’ve finally figured it out, just waiting for something I ordered to arrive. The stock system is so bad screen mirroring would be a huge upgrade.
That’s why I was asking nav/no-nav. Most of the problems come from the CarPlay units handling the split screen aspect of the nav based infotainment. I have the non-nav version, and while there is an occasional connection glitch, it is stable and usable 95% of the time.

Mirroring sounds like a decent option for you. Good luck!
Old 12-04-20, 05:40 PM
ownnij
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have the Carlinkit module i purchased off aliexpress.com for 250.00 shipped DHL. it allows me to airplay and carplay. works really well other than the 2 cons below.

Cons
1. Just like many other aftermarket carplay devices.. it uses AUX for sound and the sound isn't that loud and when your turn up the sound you hear a hot mic.
2. joystick controls are sensitive. like when i move my joystick/mouse to whatever direction.. sometimes it'll move too far

i think it's still worth it though. i dont want to buy anything too expensive and don't want a newer car either. i think this is the best it'll get for the price.
Old 12-05-20, 06:54 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

I figured out how to mirror screen...
a few problems...
quality is pretty crap like 480p resolution...
interference lines through screen when charging...
image is stretched/cut off depending on what you are doing...

if I buy the beat sonic bypass to have mirroring while moving I’m looking at about $300 CAD all in to mirror...

if it was 100-200 I’d maybe consider, but $300 for what is mediocre mirroring at best seems like a bad investment
Old 12-05-20, 07:00 PM
ownnij
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hmmm i didnt need any type of bypass with my unit. must be a beat sonic thing to capitalize more on their consumers lol

hows your sound though?
Old 12-05-20, 09:53 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by ownnij
hmmm i didnt need any type of bypass with my unit. must be a beat sonic thing to capitalize more on their consumers lol

hows your sound though?
sounds is ok, although I can’t listen to music and have the maps app open at same time so tbh it didn’t work out nearly as well as I was hoping. Sucks because I spent 3 weeks ordering parts.

Quick Reply: Screen Mirroring iPhone to older 3IS