IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

"Floaty" steering response intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-20, 12:40 PM
syed4gr
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default "Floaty" steering response intermittently

Has anyone experienced issues in their IS with the steering being "floaty" or a little "sticky" at highway speeds? I had RC-F/GS-F bushing put into my 2016 IS-350 F-Sport over the summer because I felt like the steering was a little weird, it seems like the issue is still there.

It's really hard to describe, like I'll be doing 65 mph, the highway lane slightly curves and I'll feel like I'm having to push the steering wheel more than normal to get it to turn, then it feels like I'll have to pull it back with more effort to. Maybe it's just the road, I don't think so though.

I had an alignment done last month too but everything came back fine :/
Old 11-17-20, 12:44 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,874 Likes on 1,956 Posts

On my IS I had a "sticky" feeling from time to time. The pattern I noticed was that it seemed to start happening if I was driving mostly straight at high speed for a while. Over on the GS forums, this has been discussed and is believed to be a tuning/software issue.
The following users liked this post:
syed4gr (11-17-20)
Old 11-17-20, 12:47 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by syed4gr
Has anyone experienced issues in their IS with the steering being "floaty" or a little "sticky" at highway speeds? I had RC-F/GS-F bushing put into my 2016 IS-350 F-Sport over the summer because I felt like the steering was a little weird, it seems like the issue is still there.

It's really hard to describe, like I'll be doing 65 mph, the highway lane slightly curves and I'll feel like I'm having to push the steering wheel more than normal to get it to turn, then it feels like I'll have to pull it back with more effort to. Maybe it's just the road, I don't think so though.

I had an alignment done last month too but everything came back fine :/
I have a 2015 350 AWD FS, I installed RCF bushings first week I had car. Car does not wander or follow every bend or uneven road like it use to, also doesn’t pull or wobble under hard accelerating or braking anymore like I did before the RCF bushings were put in.
That being said I find steering very heavy at all speeds. Just enough to notice. Steering is super sensitive, no dead zone on Center, smallest movement of wheel and car moves.
So I’d say heavy steering sensation is normal but I personally wouldn’t describe it as taking effort to turn.
syed4gr (11-17-20)
Old 11-17-20, 12:47 PM
syed4gr
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
On my IS I had a "sticky" feeling from time to time. The pattern I noticed was that it seemed to start happening if I was driving mostly straight at high speed for a while. Over on the GS forums, this has been discussed and is believed to be a tuning/software issue.
Appreciate the quick response! I live in Houston and that's mostly the kind of driving I do so that totally makes sense!
arentz07 (11-17-20)
Old 11-17-20, 02:16 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by syed4gr
Appreciate the quick response! I live in Houston and that's mostly the kind of driving I do so that totally makes sense!
Ah, yeah makes sense. It was definitely evident when my wife and I went down to Galveston last year - went right through Houston. Lots of 85+ MPH in a straight line seems to bring the issue out.

Note, I did not have the RCF bushings.
Old 11-17-20, 02:23 PM
m0chafrap
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I get that feeling sometimes too, and it's even more noticeable after I switched to PS A/S3+ tires since they tramline like crazy.
Old 11-17-20, 07:47 PM
rp2000r
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

15 IS350 F Sport RWD with Pilot A/S and its a floating car on freeway. New Civic Si drives a lot straighter and requires no feedback where the IS constantly adjusting. Feel like a drunk at times. Car bone stock original owner no accidents. 37k miles and lady driven 95% of time.
Old 11-17-20, 09:19 PM
ScytheDC
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

I recently moved from Houston to Dallas and the drive up the 45 was a nightmare. This car at 80 mph needed a lot of adjustments to stay straight and I got the sense the car might veer off into the next lane. It made the long distance uncomfortable at times. It got worse when the pavement had those groves running the length of the lane where it looks like ridges in a fan belt. It made the car feel like it was following the groove like it was on tracks. Everything was stock then. The drive felt the same when I rented an infinity Q50 for a previous drive from Houston to Dallas. I didn’t notice any of these feelings when I drove my old E92 M3 up the same highway a year prior to this. The M3 has hydraulic steering so maybe that played a role.
Old 11-18-20, 05:59 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

I too have the sticking if been driving straight for awhile. Think there was another thread that discussed this, and it was a steering rack issue.
Old 11-18-20, 09:16 AM
V00D001
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

2018 AWD F-Sport

Yeah - stock car had a vague, wandering feeling that needed constant driver adjustments until I put Figs LCA Bushings on. It's a heavy car, floats a little bit on stock suspension and requires a little more driver effort. The aftermarket LCA bushings replacement is how the car should feel from the factory - Lexus dropped the ball on this IMO. I drove Honda/Acuras for about 18 years prior to the IS, including a 330hp turbo Integra that I built - I could easily use two fingers at 80mph on the interstate to drive it - not so with the IS. I'm not comfortable with less than a palm and a couple of fingers on the wheel at 80mph with the IS.
Old 11-18-20, 10:33 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Reference item #3 in this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10827644
While it's not the exact same issue you are having, you did mention an alignment was done.
At this point this would indicate that the vehicles understanding of the center or straight ahead position of the steering wheel is different than the actual physical center position of the steering wheel.
I would suggest having the calibrations done to see if this improves or corrects the issue you are having.
Old 11-19-20, 12:22 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

Tired of that floaty feeling and always have to steer-correct the car to drive straight on highways. Getting the USRS Street version and will just deal with minor vibration.
Old 03-23-22, 06:20 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 322 Likes on 201 Posts

Appreciate the honesty of the OP in the “Consequences of Modding”. I come from BMW world and my cars were MSport models. Rather than degrade a 5 series by modding the suspension I instead got a 3 series coupe which was lower, and tighter. Car felt great!
I’d think an IS would feel right with the right set up rather than fight the heft of the GS. With a rough riding two seat convertable as a third car, with MT I have little desire to mod my GS Fsport . Press the button and it tightens up and is quicker. Its a personal choice and its good enough. I paid for that goodness.
I know mod’s like to get others to join in and it validates their choices. Its hard to quantify ones happiness in words to what a car would feel like..
My AWD does great even with its skinny tires. Im glad to not have to replace staggered ones every 25k as I used to. sometimes I like the light steering and fuel economy. Mine is a 2020 I got new. Its a sleeper, mica gray.
I love reading about some of the mods done and the intensity of choice.
My car bone stock is dead center easy to drive and feels well balanced.
Sorry the OP got one that was previously modded and converted which might be problematic.
Old 03-23-22, 09:28 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Nalod
Appreciate the honesty of the OP in the “Consequences of Modding”. I come from BMW world and my cars were MSport models. Rather than degrade a 5 series by modding the suspension I instead got a 3 series coupe which was lower, and tighter. Car felt great!
I’d think an IS would feel right with the right set up rather than fight the heft of the GS. With a rough riding two seat convertable as a third car, with MT I have little desire to mod my GS Fsport . Press the button and it tightens up and is quicker. Its a personal choice and its good enough. I paid for that goodness.
I know mod’s like to get others to join in and it validates their choices. Its hard to quantify ones happiness in words to what a car would feel like..
My AWD does great even with its skinny tires. Im glad to not have to replace staggered ones every 25k as I used to. sometimes I like the light steering and fuel economy. Mine is a 2020 I got new. Its a sleeper, mica gray.
I love reading about some of the mods done and the intensity of choice.
My car bone stock is dead center easy to drive and feels well balanced.
Sorry the OP got one that was previously modded and converted which might be problematic.
Not sure what the "modding" is in reference to... could you have mistakenly posted in this thread?

FWIW, having a 2021 now versus a 2016 I had before, the car has gained a little weight to where the weight issue of GS versus IS is negligible. I don't think it's a problem. This car wants to attack some corners.
Old 03-24-22, 02:35 PM
kaleo211
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the exact issue as yours. It's very annoy! Did you do anything to get rid of this?