IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Are motor mounts under lexus warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-20, 03:56 PM
aris350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are motor mounts under lexus warranty?

I took my car to my mechanic before taking it to the lexus dealership because dealers are always on some bs and well my motor mounts need to be replaced but the dealer said that its just wheelbearing and i need a alignment and balance just want to know if they are under warranty so i can go in more confident and demand my **** to be fixed thanks
Old 11-17-20, 06:36 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

What year is your car and how many miles? If it's in the bumper to bumper or extended, then yeah

Edit to my earlier comment: This would actually be covered under the drivetrain warranty (which is longer) because it's an engine component.. btw how did you know your engine mounts weren't good?

Last edited by swaangin; 11-18-20 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-18-20, 05:23 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

If you're having an issue that requires the motor mounts to be replaced on a 2017 IS350, then you're likely the first one on here to mention it.
Based on the fact your mechanic says you need motor mounts, and the dealer is saying you need a wheel bearing, balance, and alignment, I can only assume you are having some vibration issue.
While the motor mounts might be covered under warranty, the dealer won't replace them unless they can provide warranty with some indication of which ones have failed and how they are defective.

Not to second guess your mechanic, but the likelihood of you having failed motor mounts on a 2017 Lexus is pretty much non-existent...unless maybe the vehicle was in an accident or you have ridiculously high mileage on it.
Since you're asking about warranty I would assume the vehicle has not been in an accident, as the warranty would be void, and the mileage is nothing unreasonable.

Maybe if you can describe the issue you're having we can offer some suggestions.
The following users liked this post:
ihateu3 (11-18-20)
Old 11-18-20, 07:29 AM
aris350
Driver School Candidate

Default No accident

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Welcome to the forum!

If you're having an issue that requires the motor mounts to be replaced on a 2017 IS350, then you're likely the first one on here to mention it.
Based on the fact your mechanic says you need motor mounts, and the dealer is saying you need a wheel bearing, balance, and alignment, I can only assume you are having some vibration issue.
While the motor mounts might be covered under warranty, the dealer won't replace them unless they can provide warranty with some indication of which ones have failed and how they are defective.

Not to second guess your mechanic, but the likelihood of you having failed motor mounts on a 2017 Lexus is pretty much non-existent...unless maybe the vehicle was in an accident or you have ridiculously high mileage on it.
Since you're asking about warranty I would assume the vehicle has not been in an accident, as the warranty would be void, and the mileage is nothing unreasonable.

Maybe if you can describe the issue you're having we can offer some suggestions.
For the 8 months of owning my car i havent been in any accidents maybe the previous owner did have a unreported one idk tbh but the car has 38k miles on it and my mechanic showed me how much the engine was moving in there
Old 11-18-20, 07:57 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Ok...so the engine is moving...what kind of issue does that translate into for you as the driver? i.e. Vibration, noise, etc.
When the engine is running and under load, like revving the engine, some movement is expected and normal...I'm guessing this is some type of excessive movement?
Idling the engine should be relatively still, but obviously if you touch the engine you will feel some vibration.
Old 11-18-20, 09:06 AM
aris350
Driver School Candidate

Ok...so the engine is moving...what kind of issue does that translate into for you as the driver? i.e. Vibration, noise, etc.
When the engine is running and under load, like revving the engine, some movement is expected and normal...I'm guessing this is some type of excessive movement?
Idling the engine should be relatively still, but obviously if you touch the engine you will feel some vibration.
So for example i got home the other day and put in park and the car started vibrating
and my engine doesmt sound the same anymore on the highway( im on my way to the dealer now to point this out to them hopefully they see the problem and agree to fix it)
Old 11-18-20, 10:15 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

It doesn't sound like the issue is motor mounts at all.
Since there is no load on the engine in Park, even bad motor mounts should be at their smoothest in Park, not cause more vibration.
Also motor mounts won't cause the engine to sound different.
It almost sounds like the intake tube, or air filter box, or something in that area is not assembled correctly. Like a breather hose is off, or the air box isn't closed properly.
Assuming you don't have a check engine light on, it would suggest it's something mechanical/physical.
The following users liked this post:
Rhydg1 (11-21-20)
Old 11-18-20, 06:10 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Could possibly be a faulty plug/coil/misfire.
Old 11-18-20, 06:54 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

My previous IS engine mount was replaced (for free) by Lexus. I originally went to have my wheel bearing checked due to a whining noise(turned out to be my tires!). They noticed that the passenger side engine mount is moving out of specs and they just replaced it - no charge.

Anyways, if it's 2017, it should still be covered under bumper to bumper warranty (depending on the manufactured date).
Old 11-19-20, 05:09 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by s3v3n
My previous IS engine mount was replaced (for free) by Lexus. I originally went to have my wheel bearing checked due to a whining noise(turned out to be my tires!). They noticed that the passenger side engine mount is moving out of specs and they just replaced it - no charge.

Anyways, if it's 2017, it should still be covered under bumper to bumper warranty (depending on the manufactured date).
@s3v3n Did you notice anything wrong with the vehicle that would have related to a faulty engine mount?
I ask only because it seems very odd for a mount to go...and it's not uncommon that when the shop is slow there are some questionable warranty claims...it's just a reality.
Old 11-19-20, 05:32 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

@s3v3n Did you notice anything wrong with the vehicle that would have related to a faulty engine mount?
I ask only because it seems very odd for a mount to go...and it's not uncommon that when the shop is slow there are some questionable warranty claims...it's just a reality.
I did not noticed anything faulty at all. Brief history on the vehicle - had PPE headers and Ark full exhaust system upgrade on that one, then the USRS LCA bushings - so really the NVH that is being produced from this upgrade is really way up there - I guess that's the reason why I didn't notice anything faulty at all coz the car really vibrates all the time .

In addition, Lexus wrote down "due to after market exhaust system, tech noticed slight play from passenger side engine mount" - that's why they went ahead and replaced it.
Old 11-19-20, 05:53 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by s3v3n
I did not noticed anything faulty at all. Brief history on the vehicle - had PPE headers and Ark full exhaust system upgrade on that one, then the USRS LCA bushings - so really the NVH that is being produced from this upgrade is really way up there - I guess that's the reason why I didn't notice anything faulty at all coz the car really vibrates all the time .

In addition, Lexus wrote down "due to after market exhaust system, tech noticed slight play from passenger side engine mount" - that's why they went ahead and replaced it.
I think we can file that one safety under suspect warranty claim.
If that's what they actually wrote on the work order then they are indicating that due to an aftermarket part they are claiming warranty for a factory defect....which is the complete opposite as to what usually occurs.
If they left the work order like that before submitting to corporate I doubt Lexus paid the dealer for that claim. However they could be a really large dealer, in which case they likely have high warranty claims due to volume, and corporate probably won't look at or question every claim.
Either way you got a free motor mount out of it. And i would have picked the passenger side too since it's easier to get to than the drivers side.