IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Clicking noise when opening the driver's door

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-20, 10:29 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Clicking noise when opening the driver's door

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anybody has had an issue with the door position holder on the driver's door? This is the black arm which connects from the door to the body, and it has 3 different detents that allow you to open the door and leave it in one of three positions (partly open, halfway open, fully open).

When I open the driver's door, I'm hearing a clicking noise from that part, and I can see the metal hinge flexing slightly as I open the door. I don't use a lot of force to open the door either. I put a 10mm socket on the nut but it appears to be pretty tight already (I didn't try to crank on the ratchet, just used a bit of hand pressure to see if it was loose).

Has anybody had an issue with this? The passenger door doesn't seem to have the same problem.
Old 11-27-20, 04:40 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

It's not uncommon for the check strap to wear over time, especially the driver's door as it's the one most used.
Not too long ago I replaced the one of my 2014 Highlander driver's door because of clicking noises.
Just get a new one and call it a day.
Old 11-27-20, 10:52 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

My Tundra was making a clicking or popping noise there too. The nut that connects on the inside of the door had worked it's way loose. Tightening it eliminated the noise. But on the Tundra, you can easily access that from the door jamb by simply opening the door all of the way and using a ratchet with extension. Not sure if it is that easy on the IS, I have never really looked at it. But you may check the door side of the assembly.
Old 11-27-20, 11:29 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
My Tundra was making a clicking or popping noise there too. The nut that connects on the inside of the door had worked it's way loose. Tightening it eliminated the noise. But on the Tundra, you can easily access that from the door jamb by simply opening the door all of the way and using a ratchet with extension. Not sure if it is that easy on the IS, I have never really looked at it. But you may check the door side of the assembly.
He covered off nut tightness in his OP...it was good to go.
Once the nuts are tight, if it's still making the noise, then it's the assembly.
Old 11-27-20, 02:47 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
He covered off nut tightness in his OP...it was good to go.
Once the nuts are tight, if it's still making the noise, then it's the assembly.
I understand that, I just read it as he stated it. He "checked the 10mm nut", singular. Simply stating check both sides because there are 3.
Old 11-27-20, 04:43 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I understand that, I just read it as he stated it. He "checked the 10mm nut", singular. Simply stating check both sides because there are 3.
Fair enough, he didn't mention if he checked the 2 nuts on the door side and the 1 bolt on the A-pillar side.
Old 11-27-20, 07:49 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, I used a 10mm socket and ratchet on the A pillar side to check if it was still tight, but I didn't try to crank on the ratchet at all. It was just to see if it was loose, and it definitely wasn't. When I open and close the door on the first detent, I see the assembly flex and make the popping noise (the hinged portion), so it must be that.

Fortunately, the service advisor at a Lexus dealership said it will be covered under warranty. I have no idea how it happened on a 1 year old car, but hopefully the new check strap resolves it.

Last edited by GNS; 11-28-20 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-28-20, 09:32 AM
GNS
Intermediate

I only checked the A pillar side, so thanks for the suggestion to look at the door side, I'll do it right now.
Old 11-29-20, 09:01 AM
GNS
Intermediate

All of the nuts are tight on the door and a pillar, as always I didn't crank on the ratchet. All I did was use some hand pressure to see if any were loose, and they weren't.

Oh well, it's going in sometime next week for a new part, I hope it fixes it for good.
Old 06-13-23, 06:04 PM
davidsp101
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the new door check resolve it? My 23 is clicking even after a replacement door check.
Old 06-16-24, 05:08 AM
MarkH513
7th Gear

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door check noise

My 2023 IS500 makes a popping noise at the door check area. My car has done it since it was brand new and I only have about 3,000 mi on it now. A friend of mine has an IS 500 that's also a 2023 and none of her doors make the noise. Mine only does it on the driver's side front door. I ordered a new door check from Lexus and replaced it myself as I didn't want the dealership messing with it. The new door check did not fix the noise. Upon further review, the noise that is being made is from the outer door sill shell flexing and making contact with another piece of structure behind the door frame stamping. You can apply pressure with your hand on the door jam area where the door check mounts to the frame and it stops that noise from occurring. I'm not sure if from the production process there's something left in that door jamb that shouldn't be there or if maybe a weld was missed, but the flexing of that area is definitely what's causing the noise, and unfortunately I'm very particular and it annoys me, but I don't want to take it to the dealer to have them look into it any further because I don't want them messing with any of the structure of the car over a noise that no one else hears except for me. If anyone else has any thoughts on this or has a similar problem I would certainly be interested in hearing about it. Thanks!

Last edited by MarkH513; 06-16-24 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Typo