IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New phone mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-20, 11:31 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts
Default New phone mount

I haven't seen these for the IS and I think this is the best option. I am not sure why people mount their phones to vents because that would reduce air flow into cabin, if it's winter time, I doubt that the heat is good for the health of your phone. I don't like the ones that are on the dash. I had a CD player mount for a while which I thought was nice but it did block some of the A/C buttons and it would constantly fall out. I like very minimalistic products, I know you have to throw a magnet onto your phone case but it's very slim and doesn't bother me at all when I use the phone. It also doesn't block any HVAC controls except the passenger heated / cool seats which is still accessible. Phone does not fall off, good magnet. Tell me what you guys think!

New phone mount-6igo4tc.jpg
New phone mount-qyk0jli.jpg

New phone mount-ljfpky7.jpg

Last edited by swaangin; 12-03-20 at 11:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PJSnow (12-04-20)
Old 12-04-20, 04:22 AM
Sid03SVT
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I like it, sadly it blocks the passenger heated seat controls so my wife won't be fond of that particular placement.
Do you have a link so I can check it out myself? I've been trying to figure out a cell mount for mine.
Old 12-04-20, 05:45 AM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by Sid03SVT
I like it, sadly it blocks the passenger heated seat controls so my wife won't be fond of that particular placement.
Do you have a link so I can check it out myself? I've been trying to figure out a cell mount for mine.
I can adjust my phone a bit more up but they're reachable and easy to turn on IMO! Only buttons kind of blocked besides the eject CD button. My phone is also the Pro Max so it's a lot bigger than if you have a smaller phone.. if so, then those buttons shouldn't be blocked. Forgot to post:
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-04-20, 08:31 PM
ALLBLCK604
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I literally have the same set up but with different magnets. I find that’s the least intrusive spot. I never wanted to stick anything but is better than vent mounts IMO. Sure it blocks the play/pause button and eject, but I never ever use those. And it’s barely in the way of the seat heat button. And totally out of sight from any one looking in.
swaangin (12-04-20)
Old 12-04-20, 08:47 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by ALLBLCK604
I literally have the same set up but with different magnets. I find that’s the least intrusive spot. I never wanted to stick anything but is better than vent mounts IMO. Sure it blocks the play/pause button and eject, but I never ever use those. And it’s barely in the way of the seat heat button. And totally out of sight from any one looking in.
Which brand do you use? Wish I did this years back, favorite mod.. I had my phone on top of my seat temperature controls, if I had to do a K-turn, I would have to move my phone cus I couldn't shift to reverse.. huge nuisance.. I feel like getting the Apple CarPlay unit is useless now too since I have this at hands reach and it facing towards me
Old 12-04-20, 10:05 PM
ALLBLCK604
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
Which brand do you use? Wish I did this years back, favorite mod.. I had my phone on top of my seat temperature controls, if I had to do a K-turn, I would have to move my phone cus I couldn't shift to reverse.. huge nuisance.. I feel like getting the Apple CarPlay unit is useless now too since I have this at hands reach and it facing towards me
its just a “baseus” amazon brand. It looks similar to yours, it’s round. But the base is rectanglish. Then a have a big rectangle magnet sitting between my case and phone. I’m very happy with the set up too. I’ll try to get some pics tmrw.
Old 12-05-20, 02:23 AM
ChineseKFC
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I personally never had any good experiences with vent mounted ones w/ magnets except for one, from proclip, although it does block one of the vents, it has never slipped off after a harsh turn or heavy braking.
Old 12-05-20, 04:37 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by ChineseKFC
I personally never had any good experiences with vent mounted ones w/ magnets except for one, from proclip, although it does block one of the vents, it has never slipped off after a harsh turn or heavy braking.
I never wanted to use a magnet mount because I didn't want anything on my phone case.. but I drive my IS decently hard and it hasn't fallen off, doesn't even move even if half the magnet is off the mount
Old 12-05-20, 04:51 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 198 Likes on 155 Posts

This is what I'm using currently. So stylish. Works fine. I'm hardly driving anywhere. Teaching from home. Once I get the Lexion unit next year, the phone
may go back to the cup holder. https://www.target.com/p/buggygear-g...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 12-05-20, 09:05 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by Jazzrock
This is what I'm using currently. So stylish. Works fine. I'm hardly driving anywhere. Teaching from home. Once I get the Lexion unit next year, the phone
may go back to the cup holder. https://www.target.com/p/buggygear-g...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Can you post a pic? This is hilarious. Aftere getting this mount, I don't see the point in getting the head unit anymore tbh. I would be paying $600 to look a few degrees up. I also feel like I might get rid of this car so having to swap head units back will be a huge hassle as I'm sure next buyer would prefer stock (even if it has Apple CarPlay)
Jazzrock (12-05-20)
Old 12-05-20, 09:43 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Grippy works fine in my IS.I throw him a banana on occasion and he's good to go. I had him in my MB CLA 250 and it didn't work in that car. I'll post a picture tomorrow.
He's be perfect for a Swaangin car!
swaangin (12-07-20)
Old 12-06-20, 04:18 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Originally Posted by swaangin
Can you post a pic? This is hilarious. Aftere getting this mount, I don't see the point in getting the head unit anymore tbh. I would be paying $600 to look a few degrees up. I also feel like I might get rid of this car so having to swap head units back will be a huge hassle as I'm sure next buyer would prefer stock (even if it has Apple CarPlay)

By special request, here is Grippy (tail removed, sorry Grippy). Who that guy in the mirror is, I have no clue.
swaangin (12-07-20)
Old 12-06-20, 04:34 PM
ihateu3
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I will add my mount to the thread as well, it is an expensive mount, but very much worth it. I have run the iOttie wireless mount for 5-6 years now through different revisions, and I truly believe this mount to be the best on the market. The mount is a wireless charger, so as soon as you snap the phone in, it starts charging automagically. The spot that I chose to mount it in, seems to not block any vision and is out of the way of everything, and also in the line of sight, but mounting locations are a personal choice.

swaangin (12-07-20)
Old 12-06-20, 06:49 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazzrock

By special request, here is Grippy (tail removed, sorry Grippy). Who that guy in the mirror is, I have no clue.
This is hilarious phone mount but wouldn’t phone fall off when you hit a bump how does it hold it down?
swaangin (12-07-20)
Old 12-06-20, 07:05 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Originally Posted by dojoman
This is hilarious phone mount but wouldn’t phone fall off when you hit a bump how does it hold it down?
The weight of the phone keeps it in place, plus Grippy's arms and legs wrap around the phone. No problem.
Cheap enough to try it out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jazzrock:
dojoman (12-06-20), swaangin (12-07-20)

Quick Reply: New phone mount