IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Does the Lexus IS cigarette port draw power when the car is off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-20, 01:24 PM
yayeeeet
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Does the Lexus IS cigarette port draw power when the car is off?

Title ^ thanks!!
Old 12-03-20, 01:43 PM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

My dashcam is plugged into mine and turns off when car is off.
The following users liked this post:
yayeeeet (12-04-20)
Old 12-04-20, 05:30 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Confirming also that the Power Outlet in the center console under the armrest is not powered when the vehicle is off.
yayeeeet (12-04-20)
Old 12-04-20, 09:08 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by yayeeeet
Title ^ thanks!!

Negative. But inside of the interior fuse panel which is located drivers side, near the OBD2 port has Always On fuses you could tap into depending on what you are trying to do.
yayeeeet (12-04-20)
Old 12-04-20, 08:50 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

no. But it does in Accessory “key position” or second first Start button press.

Last edited by sunamer; 12-08-20 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-04-20, 08:53 PM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm trying to figure out a battery drain issue... I have a V1 radar, dash cam both plugged into the console and a Helix amp in the trunk. all should be off when the car is off but no idea why my batteries keep dying???? it's a 2016 so I know the 2014's had an issue like this but the 2016's dont?
Old 12-05-20, 11:00 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enkrypt3d
I'm trying to figure out a battery drain issue... I have a V1 radar, dash cam both plugged into the console and a Helix amp in the trunk. all should be off when the car is off but no idea why my batteries keep dying???? it's a 2016 so I know the 2014's had an issue like this but the 2016's dont?
The battery on a 2016 is likely 5 years old at this point, so it could just be the battery.
I would start with disconnecting both devices completely and charging the battery properly with a charger and then monitor.
If the battery stops dying then reintroduce one of the devices...if the battery is still fine after 4 days, then reintroduce the other. If the battery dies now, then you know it was the second device you reconnected.

Other than that, you could try measuring the draw at the battery, but that can be a little tricky and you need to have a multi meter to do it.
Old 12-05-20, 11:01 AM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The battery on a 2016 is likely 5 years old at this point, so it could just be the battery.
I would start with disconnecting both devices completely and charging the battery properly with a charger and then monitor.
If the battery stops dying then reintroduce one of the devices...if the battery is still fine after 4 days, then reintroduce the other. If the battery dies now, then you know it was the second device you reconnected.

Other than that, you could try measuring the draw at the battery, but that can be a little tricky and you need to have a multi meter to do it.
I've been thru 2 batteries and on my 3rd one... and keep the car on a tender since I don't drive daily anymore... sux
Old 12-05-20, 11:02 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I've been thru 2 batteries and on my 3rd one... and keep the car on a tender since I don't drive daily anymore... sux
If you're killing that many batteries then you need to find the draw.
Old 12-08-20, 12:25 PM
sunamer
Advanced

So, what would happen if you disconnect a battery terminal on the car and leave it for the same time you would normally leave your car? I am wondering if it is a ****ty battery, or whether it is really something that is eating up the juice when it simply sits parked...
Old 12-08-20, 12:28 PM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sunamer
So, what would happen if you disconnect a battery terminal on the car and leave it for the same time you would normally leave your car?
I haven't tried that but not sure what that would achieve? I have a battery tender on it now..
Old 12-08-20, 07:40 PM
sunamer
Advanced

I haven't tried that but not sure what that would achieve? I have a battery tender on it now..
To confirm that it is indeed some parasitic draw that is causing it. If the battery manages to lose charge even when being absolutely disconnected, obviously parasitic currents would not be to blame.
Old 12-09-20, 06:13 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 202 Posts

You may have a bad ground somewhere.. the wire diagnosing begins..

Smart move on the tender, it won't charge the battery but it'll maintain it somewhat. I do that with all of our vehicles at home, including the two motorcycles in the dining room (lol)
Old 12-09-20, 10:08 AM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tofuprod
You may have a bad ground somewhere.. the wire diagnosing begins..

Smart move on the tender, it won't charge the battery but it'll maintain it somewhat. I do that with all of our vehicles at home, including the two motorcycles in the dining room (lol)
This one charges the battery and shows the % of discharge... if i leave the car sitting for a few days, the battery gets to around 40-50% charge left... So now it just stays connected when it's sitting just to be safe...

It's a Schumaker SP1286 3 amp charger so it does a pretty good job

Last edited by enkrypt3d; 12-09-20 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-17-20, 08:10 AM
sunamer
Advanced

I came across almost the same problem recently. Battery would die very quickly after the car was left with just radio and AC, to the point of almost not starting. The car could barely start after sitting for 1-2 days in a garage, or even when left in the parking lot for 20 minutes.
No new devices were added, so I assumed it is the battery that was on its way out, and the cold simply made it more obvious.
But then I decided to clean the battery terminals and the connectors. And after that I drove it for 1-1.5 hrs, and left it in a garage for 3 nights. Tried to start it yesterday and it looks like the problem went away. It started right up without any hesitation or prolonged cranking...
My guess is - bad connection caused the battery to be constantly under-charged.

Quick Reply: Does the Lexus IS cigarette port draw power when the car is off?