IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Grom Vline 2 short review, 14-16 IS

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-20, 07:15 PM
ihateu3
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Grom Vline 2 short review, 14-16 IS

I was unable to find hardly any information on the Grom Vline2 when I purchased it, so I figured that I would leave a quick review here to help others in their decision making when comparing other options (4x4, Lexion, beat sonic, etc).

Let me preface this short review, with the fact that I have had the unit installed for only 1 day, and have around 2 hours of usage with the device. So far the device seems very quick and responsive but does seem to have a few screen glitches at times. For example, an option box that popped up on the screen turned into a highlighted red rectangle outline after moving to another screen, and it would not refresh and go away. Things like this are minor and can be fixed in a firmware update if it ever even happens again.

Other things that I noticed, I was unable to sign in to Spotify. I ended up searching through the play store, and Spotify was available to download. I downloaded it and had no issues signing in. Later that night, I saw in the Grom user manual, that only Spotify premium accounts would work for their plugin. So I am not really sure what they needed a special plugin for Spotify when I was easily able to download it and run it without issues, but it is something to be mentioned.

As noted in the video, as far as my experience has gone so far, I am unable to make the phone auto-connect Bluetooth to the Grom. This is annoying because I am not always going to plug in my phone for android auto. I imagine that there is a way to do this, so I am not going to fault the unit at this time, but out of the box it does not appear to do this automatically, but then again, this device is meant to be used without needing your phone for anything more than an internet connection.

One other thing I forgot to mention in the video (which you can see in the video), is that Google maps does not appear to go into dark mode at night as it does on my phone. I was driving last night with Google maps up, and the white background was pretty disturbing at night. Again, this may be a setting I am missing, but out of the box, it will not auto change to dark mode, and that is annoying.

Also, I am willing to bet that if someone wanted to switch to the newer and larger 17+ IS screen, if you could get Grom to make a cable like their current one, with the 14-16 blue input, but only with a 17+ blue video output end on the cable (instead of the current 14-16 output end), it would most likely work. It is just passing the original Lexus video signal through to the Grom via the original Lexus video cable to a DisplayPort connection that plugs into the Grom unit, and then back out to the Lexus screen, since Grom uses this same unit in other cars, I would assume that the unit is capable of adjusting scaling unless it just mirrors the resolution that's passed thorugh.

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/le...n-upgrade.html

Here is my short video overview.

Last edited by ihateu3; 12-05-20 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Added manufacturer link
Old 12-05-20, 09:10 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Way too many issues and steps to get it working properly. Thanks for your review
The following users liked this post:
nallis (12-09-20)
Old 12-05-20, 09:14 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 162 Posts

Thanks for doing this. I've never heard of this unit. If you could do a follow up when you figure more things out, that would be
greatly appreciated. I'm still planning on getting the Lexion next year when I'm driving more again. It seems to work flawlessly.
ihateu3 (12-05-20)
Old 12-06-20, 09:54 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

$600 for non screen upgrade is very expensive just like Beatsonic. Lexion is much better alternative just my 2 cent.
Jazzrock (12-06-20)
Old 12-06-20, 10:47 AM
ihateu3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dojoman
$600 for non screen upgrade is very expensive just like Beatsonic. Lexion is much better alternative just my 2 cent.
I agree, however I bought mine in a group by for $469.
Old 12-06-20, 02:09 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ihateu3
I agree, however I bought mine in a group by for $469.
Is CarPlay wireless with dongle or build in the box?
Old 12-06-20, 03:00 PM
ihateu3
Pit Crew

I only have an Android device, so I cannot speak for Carplay. As for Android Auto, it is currently not wireless and requires a wire, but their support page said Android Auto wireless will be supported in a future update. Looking at their page it states "Now with Wireless Apple® CarPlay®!" so It appears that it does have wireless carplay according to them.

Off topic, but another day of use on this product, and I can update everyone with the news that I actually use my in-car infotainment now with this unit, it was useless aside from a backup cam. Before I never ever used the factory infotainment, and just streamed music from my phone over Bluetooth, and used my phone for maps. This has at least given me use for that screen in the middle of my dash, so that is a positive thing. Also, I do like that there is zero lag on this unit, that is important.
Old 12-07-20, 12:21 PM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It looks like corrosion due to salty environment.Will you have a chance to remove some of the plastics around the engine and check further?
Old 12-07-20, 01:49 PM
ihateu3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by heshamos
It looks like corrosion due to salty environment.Will you have a chance to remove some of the plastics around the engine and check further?
I think you accidentally responded to the wrong thread?
Old 12-07-20, 02:15 PM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ihateu3
I think you accidentally responded to the wrong thread?
Thank you and my apologies!
Is there anyway I could delete it?
Old 04-30-21, 09:01 PM
LexISAWD
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I’m looking to get this for my Lexus IS 2020. Grom has come out with the VL2 for the 2017-2020 models. How has yours been holding up? Would you recommend this? I’ve heard many people having issues with it not booting up and you have to plug it out then plug it back in for it to start. Have you had this issue?
sirdizzle (04-30-21)
Old 12-03-21, 11:20 PM
Ruzifan
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexISAWD
I’m looking to get this for my Lexus IS 2020. Grom has come out with the VL2 for the 2017-2020 models. How has yours been holding up? Would you recommend this? I’ve heard many people having issues with it not booting up and you have to plug it out then plug it back in for it to start. Have you had this issue?
injust got that version and installed it.

i am so amazed with this product.. HOLY. firstly it’s really fast and responsive. I like the fact u change climate, it’ll bring u to stock for few seconds then back to GROM. HOWEVER, when u change the volume, there is no way to tell what volume level U’re at because it doesn’t change the UI to show I.
Car play works flawlessly and it’s wireless. Never had a single issue.

I got YouTube Vance (ad free), Netflix, prime video, all of them work fine no with issues. I just figured out that the videos will have black border because the screen is 10”25 and the videos r not supported by the screen resolution. The UI fits fine, but whenever u watch a video, it’s gonna play 16x9. On the YouTube app tho, u can choose to zoom in to fit the entire screen.

this is how I have mine setup, discount from factory Bluetooth and forget ur phone. Go back to factoru UI and go to aux. click sound and adjust ur audio eq for aux. this will be used to output all the sounds from grom. I play all my music from carplay, and answer calls there too. All the steering buttons works. If a call comes thru car play, u can press the steering pick up button to answer the call and hang up. however, if u’re listening to music and u press that button, it’ll take u to the factory Bluetooth UI.

oh ya, the red box OP was talking about. If that happens, u just have to go to the settings on the three lines (too left of screen) not the grom device setting. So go to the setting and click highlight menu and lock mouse cursor. Then click it again to deselect and it’ll go away.

umm if I’m playing music on carplay, I can get out of car play and go to grom UI and open other apps, music will keep playing. If I open YouTube and play something, carplay music will stop and YouTube will play.

it’s really a near perfect box. It’s amazing and I love it.
Old 12-04-21, 08:13 PM
LexISAWD
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruzifan
injust got that version and installed it.

i am so amazed with this product.. HOLY. firstly it’s really fast and responsive. I like the fact u change climate, it’ll bring u to stock for few seconds then back to GROM. HOWEVER, when u change the volume, there is no way to tell what volume level U’re at because it doesn’t change the UI to show I.
Car play works flawlessly and it’s wireless. Never had a single issue.

I got YouTube Vance (ad free), Netflix, prime video, all of them work fine no with issues. I just figured out that the videos will have black border because the screen is 10”25 and the videos r not supported by the screen resolution. The UI fits fine, but whenever u watch a video, it’s gonna play 16x9. On the YouTube app tho, u can choose to zoom in to fit the entire screen.

this is how I have mine setup, discount from factory Bluetooth and forget ur phone. Go back to factoru UI and go to aux. click sound and adjust ur audio eq for aux. this will be used to output all the sounds from grom. I play all my music from carplay, and answer calls there too. All the steering buttons works. If a call comes thru car play, u can press the steering pick up button to answer the call and hang up. however, if u’re listening to music and u press that button, it’ll take u to the factory Bluetooth UI.

oh ya, the red box OP was talking about. If that happens, u just have to go to the settings on the three lines (too left of screen) not the grom device setting. So go to the setting and click highlight menu and lock mouse cursor. Then click it again to deselect and it’ll go away.

umm if I’m playing music on carplay, I can get out of car play and go to grom UI and open other apps, music will keep playing. If I open YouTube and play something, carplay music will stop and YouTube will play.

it’s really a near perfect box. It’s amazing and I love it.
Wow thats great. What year is your IS, and does it have the remote touch or **** control? Have you had any issues with it randomly turning off or black screen, where you have to manually reset it from the box? As i’ve heard this was an issue with the VL2. I’m still on the fence of purchasing this. I was hoping they were going to update the android version as its pretty old at this point.

Would it be possible for you to post a quick video of it operating? It would really help to see it in action.
Old 12-05-21, 05:54 PM
Ruzifan
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexISAWD
Wow thats great. What year is your IS, and does it have the remote touch or **** control? Have you had any issues with it randomly turning off or black screen, where you have to manually reset it from the box? As i’ve heard this was an issue with the VL2. I’m still on the fence of purchasing this. I was hoping they were going to update the android version as its pretty old at this point.

Would it be possible for you to post a quick video of it operating? It would really help to see it in action.

mines a 2017 Lexus is350 with factory navi. It’s a **** control, not touch.

here’s a video with a walkthru

The following 2 users liked this post by Ruzifan:
gbutler24 (01-08-22), Jazzrock (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 06:58 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 162 Posts

Looks like a great unit! I have the Lexion, which I like very much as well. The only thing is, if I am playing music in Lexus on occasion and in CarPlay
using Google Maps for instance, if a phone call comes in, I cannot hear audio or talk to the person without going into Lexus and changing it to Aux so CarPlay
audio will work, or grabbing my phone and changing the setting on the fly while the call is coming in, which is too dangerous to do while driving. Other than that, Lexion works wonderfully.
Can you answer calls and respond when using Lexus audio while in CarPlay, if you ever do? If not, can you try it out? Just curious. Thanks!
I hope you're not watching videos while driving. Great review of this unit.

Quick Reply: Grom Vline 2 short review, 14-16 IS