IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Buying an is300-350 f-sport soon, need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-20 | 05:14 AM
Rhydg1
Intermediate

Oh wait...Don't forget about the collection of people on this forum that think that everyones car is going to become worthless after 10/22...despite the fact every other car in its class is in the same boat...(Insert eye roll).... OP is in Canada man, they never had any 3G enform service in the first place.....
Old 12-23-20 | 10:37 AM
frank357
Rookie

I dont need enform system anyway but thx for the info

I dont find any infos about d3 performance versus rr racing. Any review about the d3 tune on 2018+?

Last edited by frank357; 12-23-20 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-25-20 | 02:00 PM
frank357
Rookie

And I heard about its possible to change the swaybar without dropping the subframe, but I dont find anything on how to do it. Any feedback?
Old 12-28-20 | 11:34 PM
peteyboy99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rhydg1
I've swapped my car between the 'stock 350' tune, the full 7200RPM RR-Racing tune, and back to the bone factory stock 300 tune when I took it to the dealer. Around town up to around 55-60 of normal driving I thought it felt identical. I definitely feel a difference WOT on the highway though, the stock 300 tune feels like it falls flat somewhere around 4.5-5K RPM while if feels like it keeps pulling with my two other tunes. I do agree with your assessment of the underwhelming 'AVS'. I've driven 7 different 350 AWD F-sports since 2014...F%^# if I could tell the difference with the sport+ damper setting on the test drive. Being that there is no variable steering on AWD cars, I thought they felt pretty identical on the test drive when I first test drove my current 300FS-AWD. The AVS is cool and I guess I would rather have it than not...but after I drove the FS 300 I did not really care about it anymore.

Not a bad idea. I've had the thought it would have been fun if instead of paying for the extra nice low milage CPO car, I could have gotten a cheaper car and used the difference for some bolt ons + tune + one of the aftermarket 10.25" head units with Carplay/AA as well as some other little ad ons.
i didn’t know they had a stock 350 tune. How did you find it to perform compared to the 7200rpm tune?
Old 12-29-20 | 12:39 AM
Rhydg1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peteyboy99
i didn’t know they had a stock 350 tune. How did you find it to perform compared to the 7200rpm tune?
I was perfectly happy with the 'stock' 350 till I tried the full 7200RPM tune. The 7200RPM tune feels like it has some more spice. IMO it feels like the throttle is a bit more sensitive and it shifts a little harder. But the big thing is with the revised rev limit and trans tuning, it let's you downshift and grab gears where the stock & 'stock' maps doesn't you; hence smoothing out the power flat spots the AWD gearing has. In particular when your going mid-high 20s it lets you grab 1st gear and while doing high 50s it lets you downshift into 2nd. If you do that then go WOT the car takes off surprisingly well. Once your in the power band it more or less feels like you can keep it there as long as you keep your foot in it. Downsides I noticed include shifts feeling slower when shifting above 6800RPM due to the torque converter not locking. And a occasional glitch here and there where I have to step in and manually up shift when going WOT in auto mode.
Old 12-29-20 | 10:58 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rhydg1
I was perfectly happy with the 'stock' 350 till I tried the full 7200RPM tune. The 7200RPM tune feels like it has some more spice. IMO it feels like the throttle is a bit more sensitive and it shifts a little harder. But the big thing is with the revised rev limit and trans tuning, it let's you downshift and grab gears where the stock & 'stock' maps doesn't you; hence smoothing out the power flat spots the AWD gearing has. In particular when your going mid-high 20s it lets you grab 1st gear and while doing high 50s it lets you downshift into 2nd. If you do that then go WOT the car takes off surprisingly well. Once your in the power band it more or less feels like you can keep it there as long as you keep your foot in it. Downsides I noticed include shifts feeling slower when shifting above 6800RPM due to the torque converter not locking. And a occasional glitch here and there where I have to step in and manually up shift when going WOT in auto mode.
Interesting, sounds like the tune improves upon one of the things I've noticed about the stock tune for the AWD 6 speed transmission where around 32 - 33 kmh (20mph), it'll downshift to 1st if you floor the gas pedal, but anything above and it'll fall flat on its face in 2nd gear (which is the wrong gear for the speed, IMO). Same for the other shift point at 82 - 83 kmh (52mph) that allows for a downshift straight to 2nd, but anything above and it'll shift into 3rd before giving you some power (even though 2nd is good to 100 kmh / 60 mph).

I get around the stock tune limitations on those shift points by staying in manual mode when I know I want to go fast, or hitting the left paddle once or twice to temporarily force it into D1, but there's no way to jump from 6th gear to 2nd gear using the paddles unless you click the left one like a maniac to go to D2 (which I've never tried).

Is it alright to rev the 2GR-FKS up to 7200? I mean, what is the actual safe limit on the 2GR without risk of spinning a bearing or whatever?
Old 12-30-20 | 02:13 AM
Rhydg1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GNS
Interesting, sounds like the tune improves upon one of the things I've noticed about the stock tune for the AWD 6 speed transmission where around 32 - 33 kmh (20mph), it'll downshift to 1st if you floor the gas pedal, but anything above and it'll fall flat on its face in 2nd gear (which is the wrong gear for the speed, IMO). Same for the other shift point at 82 - 83 kmh (52mph) that allows for a downshift straight to 2nd, but anything above and it'll shift into 3rd before giving you some power (even though 2nd is good to 100 kmh / 60 mph).

I get around the stock tune limitations on those shift points by staying in manual mode when I know I want to go fast, or hitting the left paddle once or twice to temporarily force it into D1, but there's no way to jump from 6th gear to 2nd gear using the paddles unless you click the left one like a maniac to go to D2 (which I've never tried).

Is it alright to rev the 2GR-FKS up to 7200? I mean, what is the actual safe limit on the 2GR without risk of spinning a bearing or whatever?
Yes. The 7200RPM tune seems to take care of the flat spot between 1st-2nd and 2-3rd at the cost of the shift taking slightly longer. According to RR it's perfectly fine...And I was not able to find a reported failure online before I tried out the 7200RPM tune...As well mine ends up on the rev limiter more than I would like to admit thinking about it now, so I sure hope it's safe lol.
Old 12-30-20 | 08:13 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by GNS

its been said by sone i trust on this forum, that driving this engine at redline is just scratching the surface on what the motor is capable to handle. So upping the limiter a little bit? I'd think you're ok.

Now bouncing off the limiter everywhere you go? Like anything has to accelerate wear/tear but i don't think your gonna break anything on this car unless you get into big hp.