IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2018 RR Super Charger Kits, whats the word?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-20, 05:46 PM
Bcmgunner
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2018 RR Super Charger Kits, whats the word?

I know they (RR) doesn't have a kit for the 2018. Does anyone know what needs to be worked out to get this to work and remain reliable? Thanks.
Old 12-26-20, 11:58 PM
ownnij
Rookie

find something else that can tune it then you could make it work. reliability kind of hits the fan when you're making the motor do stuff that it wasn't designed to do but i get what you're saying.. you want it to not give you any issues. what a world we would live in when our project cars were problem free hahaha
Old 12-27-20, 09:45 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by ownnij
find something else that can tune it then you could make it work. reliability kind of hits the fan when you're making the motor do stuff that it wasn't designed to do but i get what you're saying.. you want it to not give you any issues. what a world we would live in when our project cars were problem free hahaha
Yup, got to find that shop that does these things and enjoys a challenge.
If I ever wanted to do this I know the first place I'd go, retired race car driver who only does custom crazy aftermarket stuff. Claims if its possible or been done anywhere then he can do it. Find a guy like that cause anything is possible.
I remember seeing a Miata with a corvette engine...dont ask me how.

Last edited by HOMER350; 12-27-20 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-27-20, 11:43 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

IMO if you are spending close to 10k all in to make 430whp with the SC kit might as well spend a few more dollars and get a twin turbo kit like Mesh did and make 600+whp with built internals.

Like HOMER350 said, find a reputable shop willing to take on the challenge like Mesh did.
The following users liked this post:
Bcmgunner (12-27-20)
Old 12-27-20, 11:48 AM
ownnij
Rookie

With enough money you can almost do anything. The problem is do you really want to pour 10-20k into a Lexus IS? I’m not knocking on it.. I’m just asking if it’s worth it to you then do it. To me it’s not worth it because I would just sell my is350 for an gsf if I had that type of money but I don’t so that’s why I’m driving an is350 lol
The following 2 users liked this post by ownnij:
babaijebu (12-28-20), swaangin (12-28-20)
Old 12-27-20, 01:37 PM
Bcmgunner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JNP1227
IMO if you are spending close to 10k all in to make 430whp with the SC kit might as well spend a few more dollars and get a twin turbo kit like Mesh did and make 600+whp with built internals.

Like HOMER350 said, find a reputable shop willing to take on the challenge like Mesh did.

This is exactly what I want to do. Who makes internals for this motor, where is the turbo kit?
Old 12-27-20, 04:43 PM
ownnij
Rookie

Everything would be a 1 off job. custom pistons, rods, turbo kit and a full stand alone engine management.. go call up a few shops and inquiry about your build because it's probably something way above your head. There is a guy who has a twin turbo is350 here somewhere. You should look him up and see if he can answer some of your questions
Bcmgunner (12-27-20)
Old 12-27-20, 07:58 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

sell the IS and go get an m2 or m3
Old 12-27-20, 08:28 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by swaangin
sell the IS and go get an m2 or m3
I get where you're coming from. But kinda boring compared to a one of a kind (pretty much) IS which can hang with the best of them. M3s are all over the road...with this project you'd never pull up to another one on the steet.
Old 12-27-20, 09:52 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I get where you're coming from. But kinda boring compared to a one of a kind (pretty much) IS which can hang with the best of them. M3s are all over the road...with this project you'd never pull up to another one on the steet.
I'm from NJ and I only know one other of an E92 M3.. seeing an M car on the road is a treat which doesn't happen frequently. Even if he were to do this to his IS, wouldn't change the outward appearance of his IS (no one would know), on top of that, it would probably get to a point it might be MORE unreliable than the BMW. Lose lose situation to me tbh.. I see what you're saying on the unique factor but I haven't seen anyone who has a build with a supercharger on this forum or anywhere on social media that has been successful for a long period of time
Bcmgunner (12-28-20)
Old 12-28-20, 06:50 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
I'm from NJ and I only know one other of an E92 M3.. seeing an M car on the road is a treat which doesn't happen frequently. Even if he were to do this to his IS, wouldn't change the outward appearance of his IS (no one would know), on top of that, it would probably get to a point it might be MORE unreliable than the BMW. Lose lose situation to me tbh.. I see what you're saying on the unique factor but I haven't seen anyone who has a build with a supercharger on this forum or anywhere on social media that has been successful for a long period of time
I feel like M3/M4 are like seeing camry's in the NJ/NY area LOL everyone has one
The following 2 users liked this post by JNP1227:
PJSnow (12-28-20), Rhydg1 (12-29-20)
Old 12-28-20, 08:12 AM
ownnij
Rookie

go talk to a shop if you're serious and come back and post your results. it can be done but just going to cost a **** load of money
Old 12-28-20, 10:20 AM
ownnij
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sargon
spend a few more dollars and get a twin turbo kit like Mesh did and make 600+whp with built internals
Well, closer to another $20,000.

Claims if its possible or been done anywhere then he can do it
Missing from the claim:
1. Final cost is how many X $10,000.
2. Deadline is how many X years to complete.
3. How to pass inspection in Kali? Not possible.
4. Impossible to sell without losing most of the money.

When you're done, the number of shops that can service the car shrinks from literally thousands to only one: the guy who built it.
20k later and when you’re ready to sell... people are only willing to pay you Kelly blue book value lol
Old 12-28-20, 11:18 AM
Rhydg1
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JNP1227
I feel like M3/M4 are like seeing camry's in the NJ/NY area LOL everyone has one
In the NY area, I see far more M3/M4s than I do 3ISs. In my ~40 mile each way commute I'll see at least handful of M cars, it's kind of a event if I see someone else with a 3IS.
PJSnow (12-28-20)
Old 12-28-20, 08:25 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by Sargon
spend a few more dollars and get a twin turbo kit like Mesh did and make 600+whp with built internals
Well, closer to another $20,000.

Claims if its possible or been done anywhere then he can do it
Missing from the claim:
1. Final cost is how many X $10,000.
2. Deadline is how many X years to complete.
3. How to pass inspection in Kali? Not possible.
4. Impossible to sell without losing most of the money.

When you're done, the number of shops that can service the car shrinks from literally thousands to only one: the guy who built it.
Good point, if you dont have much to do with the build yourself you are down to 1 guy who can run any good diagnostic or repairs. And yeah, he better do smog "inspections" for you too if you're in California.

I'll still do something like this one day, but likely not the IS just because I would want parts to be plentiful in options. If I had enough cash though I'd do the IS i think its a damn fun idea.

And if you get the right guy they do miracles in a matter or weeks or a few months more likely for something like this.. But i agree, $20k doesn't sound to far fetched at all.

Is it worth it? Depends on who you ask, typically the owner will tell you yes. I think It'd be great, but I'm strangely fond of the brand since Lexus was born. However, for someone just looking for the right 6cyl project car....this ain't it unless you're really determined it must be an IS and have the $$$$ to research/invest.

Quick Reply: 2018 RR Super Charger Kits, whats the word?