IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS Front Driver Side Seat Too Small?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-20 | 10:14 PM
LastPoet
Driver School Candidate

Default IS Front Driver Side Seat Too Small?

Hi all,

Wanted to see if anyone else has run into this issue. I've had the new 2021 IS 350 F-Sport for about a month now and I've noticed that the driver seat to be a bit uncomfortable. I understand that the F-Sport bucket seats are meant to give you a more snug fit but the middle of the seat bottom is quite deep and the side bolsters are raised/hard which makes it pretty uncomfortable. This is especially since I am a guy with pretty large thighs and I feel as if my butt and lower back are sinking into the seat. As a result, it is pretty uncomfortable and I am constantly trying to readjust the seat and reposition how I am sitting in the car while I drive. I am 5'10'' and 225 for reference.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do about the seats? I went to the dealership earlier asking about any sort of padding I can add to the seat but they said they didn't have anything to offer. Is it maybe because the seats are too narrow themselves? Has anyone else dealt with this issue as well?

Appreciate all answers as I don't want to be stressing over a new car that I want to enjoy driving.
Old 01-01-21 | 04:51 PM
swaangin
Racer

2:20

Matt Farah's favorite part of the (then) new IS were the seats. If he can fit in them and compliment them then they should be able to fit most ppl
Old 01-02-21 | 12:57 AM
Rhydg1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by swaangin

Matt Farah's favorite part of the (then) new IS were the seats. If he can fit in them and compliment them then they should be able to fit most ppl
He also liked the seats in the 21 like the OP has (Look the same to me as the 14-20?) That's the point of the IS..The 'sports' sedan specifically the F-sport, the seats are supposed to hold you in place. I think they are fantastically comfortable IMO. I'm 5'11" 165LB for reference, I think they feel fantastic and perfectly snug/fitted...but Matt who is bigger than me and the OP also comes away with the same opinion... IMO it just sounds like the OP want's more 'American' style ones like the seats in the ES/ES-FS with less bolstering and more room to 'move around'.

"I went to the dealership earlier asking about any sort of padding I can add to the seat but they said they didn't have anything to offer. Is it maybe because the seats are too narrow themselves?" Most likely it's because they are a dealer, and that is not really a request any car dealer for any brand is really going to do.(Of course there is probably some odd exemption like a Rolls Royce) As well there is also something that parts of the Nuluxe are bonded to the foam on the F-sport seats. If it's possible and you really wanted it done, your going to have to go to some kind of upholstery shop. Have you tried the seats in the regular non F-sport car? If you like those better swapping the seats out and selling your F-sport ones for some money back would also be a option..
Old 01-04-21 | 09:49 AM
thehank
Driver School Candidate

The F-sport seats were too short and didn't offer much support for behind the leg. Wish they had leg extenders. The seat adjustment for the front of the cushion didn't do much. The non f-sport seats were a joke and are built for tiny folk. Else I would've kept my IS long past my lease.