Pioneer amplifier repair and troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-21, 05:49 AM
OEMAUTOAUD
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pioneer amplifier repair and troubleshooting

Hey guys,

I just wanted to give everyone the opportunity to ask questions about their audio system and let you all know that I repair every Lexus amplifier from the original Nakamichi units all the way up to MY2021. There seems to be a lack of factual information available about the modern Pioneer and Mark Levinson audio systems and I'm here to provide guidance, assistance, and possibly do a little business. I hope that this isn't breaking any rules of the forum and if it is, I certainly apologize. I won't link my website at the time, as I assume that's discouraged. I certainly would like to be part of the community and be a resource, rather than pushing my services.

FYI - this particular vehicle has constant amp failure due to leaking floor vents. The base audio Pioneer amplifier is actually a reliable unit outside of getting wet.

- Joe; OEM Auto Audio Inc. Manlius, NY.
The following 2 users liked this post by OEMAUTOAUD:
JREastman (03-02-22), yaz (02-01-24)
Old 01-07-21, 06:00 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Welcome joe,

your first post is borderline advertising but will give you a chance to contribute and interact without soliciting. As a reminder here is a link to our community rules on this topic https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq...aq_advertising

in that link is how to sign up to become a proper CL vendor sponsor as well as linked in the forum footer and menu up top

We do enforce our forum rules
Old 01-07-21, 06:04 AM
OEMAUTOAUD
Driver School Candidate

Great - much appreciated.

To anyone else, feel free to ask any audio related questions.
Old 01-07-21, 09:32 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Have you seen non-ML subwoofers go out?
Old 01-07-21, 10:45 AM
OEMAUTOAUD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by swaangin
Have you seen non-ML subwoofers go out?
Yes, typically the voice-coils go electrically open. You can use a very cheap DMM to measure the resistance of the subwoofer.
The following users liked this post:
swaangin (01-07-21)
Old 01-08-21, 09:03 AM
athanato
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

any pics on this so we can be pro-active in preventing this? "this particular vehicle has constant amp failure due to leaking floor vents. The base audio Pioneer amplifier is actually a reliable unit outside of getting wet."
Old 01-08-21, 09:38 AM
OEMAUTOAUD
Driver School Candidate

No pictures of the vent currently, but it's mounted on the floor section and pretty easy to locate.
Old 01-11-21, 06:23 AM
bullseye
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry IS250 2014 radio issue

Hi, just got my son a 2014 IS250 F AWD. After a week with the car my son installed the Enform app on his phone and when he got to the car the radio asked for an upgrade. Now the radio plays for a few minutes and then reboots, another minute and reboots again, keeps doing it.
Any suggestion on how to fix it???
Thanks!!!
Old 01-11-21, 06:28 AM
OEMAUTOAUD
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like the head-unit firmware is now corrupted or something along those lines. I don't currently offer repair services for the head-units. There's always a potential that a Lexus dealer can try a firmware update to recover the unit. If not, you'll likely need to replace the head-unit.
Old 01-11-21, 08:41 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by bullseye
Hi, just got my son a 2014 IS250 F AWD. After a week with the car my son installed the Enform app on his phone and when he got to the car the radio asked for an upgrade. Now the radio plays for a few minutes and then reboots, another minute and reboots again, keeps doing it.
Any suggestion on how to fix it???
Thanks!!!
Within those few minutes it's working, try going into the navi menu and do a Factory Reset on the unit...likely if you were selling the car and doing a factory reset to clear out all your personal info.
For some that experience the boot loop after a software update, this fixed it.
Old 01-11-21, 01:21 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

@OEMAUTOAUD Welcome to the forum...have a look at this thread and see if there is anything you can suggest adding to the original post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-failure.html

I think the biggest question that some, or at least me, have...is this just a small part in the amp that goes that needs replacing, or is it a large pricey item? Is it typically the same thing wrong with each 3IS amp that fails? (speaking to mainly the non-Mark Levinson ones which I believe are Pioneers units).
I realize that expertise and equipment factor into the repair, so I'm assuming that this is not something the average person can tackle even with a soldering iron.
Old 01-11-21, 02:31 PM
bullseye
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Within those few minutes it's working, try going into the navi menu and do a Factory Reset on the unit...likely if you were selling the car and doing a factory reset to clear out all your personal info.
For some that experience the boot loop after a software update, this fixed it.
Yes, it did fix it (a least for now)and saved some $$.
Should we forget about trying the update again?? We don't care for the Alexa feature.

Thanks again!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (01-11-21)
Old 01-11-21, 06:15 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, it did fix it (a least for now)and saved some $$.
Should we forget about trying the update again?? We don't care for the Alexa feature.

Thanks again!!!!!
Check and confirm if the update actually took...it may have.
The factory reset i don't believe override software updates...of course we don't OTA updates in Canada (or at all), so I could be wrong.
Old 01-12-21, 05:33 PM
bullseye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Check and confirm if the update actually took...it may have.
The factory reset i don't believe override software updates...of course we don't OTA updates in Canada (or at all), so I could be wrong.
When the radio was rebooting it had a button in the radio menu for “alexa” , after the navigation restore it is no longer there. Also the radio info on the instrument cluster was not working, now it is. I think the upgrade was somehow corrupted and never completed.
Old 01-13-21, 05:37 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

When the radio was rebooting it had a button in the radio menu for “alexa” , after the navigation restore it is no longer there. Also the radio info on the instrument cluster was not working, now it is. I think the upgrade was somehow corrupted and never completed.
You are probably correct that the update was corrupted.

You may want to contact the dealer, they may have the download available on a USB and can manually update the unit.

Quick Reply: Pioneer amplifier repair and troubleshooting