IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Do I need new tires yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-21, 05:10 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Do I need new tires yet?

20k miles on my 2019 IS 300 F sport. No rotation done b/c staggered setup. I live in Southern Cali so it hardly rains here. My mechanic said my front tires outer tread is pretty much bald? Looking at it, it doesn't look bald at all or am I blind. These are the stock Bridgestone summer tires. I plan to get the Michelin Sport All Season Tires from Costco and replace all 4 at once, but I feel like I still have decent tread life atm.

Old 01-13-21, 05:30 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ABGLexus
20k miles on my 2019 IS 300 F sport. No rotation done b/c staggered setup. I live in Southern Cali so it hardly rains here. My mechanic said my front tires outer tread is pretty much bald? Looking at it, it doesn't look bald at all or am I blind. These are the stock Bridgestone summer tires. I plan to get the Michelin Sport All Season Tires from Costco and replace all 4 at once, but I feel like I still have decent tread life atm.

they look fine to me
Old 01-13-21, 06:07 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

rears appear to be evenly worn, your fronts are noticeably worse on the outside which is weird usually the 3is is known for front INNER wear.
Did u upgrade the front lower control arm bushings?
Old 01-13-21, 07:35 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
rears appear to be evenly worn, your fronts are noticeably worse on the outside which is weird usually the 3is is known for front INNER wear.
Did u upgrade the front lower control arm bushings?
No car is stock. My commute is mostly city driving, maybe that's why? I don't drive the most conservative either haha.
Old 01-13-21, 08:52 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

No car is stock. My commute is mostly city driving, maybe that's why? I don't drive the most conservative either haha.
the 2019 you have I believe has slightly diff suspension vs my 2015...my 2015 wore inner tires like crazy until I got the RCF/GSF upgraded lower control arm bushings.
I don’t know anything about the newer ones, someone else is going to have to chime in if that’s normal or not.
Old 01-14-21, 08:24 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Your tires are fine

I noticed too you're wearing more on the outside on the fronts. Most cars do that, not usually the IS though.

If its been a while, maybe an alignment, but I'd say you're gonna make it through to next summer just fine.

Always a good time to check tires more closely with rainy season upon us (however little we get in SoCal).
Old 01-14-21, 08:15 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,428 Likes on 1,126 Posts

No rain, you still got some life to go.

On the wear, check the air pressure, see if it's low. Check when its cold not driven, like in the morning before you drive off.
Old 01-14-21, 08:18 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Exclamation RCF/GSF Upgraded Lower Control Arm Bushings

the 2019 you have I believe has slightly diff suspension vs my 2015...my 2015 wore inner tires like crazy until I got the RCF/GSF upgraded lower control arm bushings.
I don’t know anything about the newer ones, someone else is going to have to chime in if that’s normal or not.
@ @NickCaesar could you plz post the link to the RCF/GSF upgraded lower control arm bushings you got? And, did you install them yourself, or get a mechanic to do it? Thx!!

Last edited by LaZeR; 01-14-21 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-14-21, 09:05 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by LaZeR
@ @NickCaesar could you plz post the link to the RCF/GSF upgraded lower control arm bushings you got? And, did you install them yourself, or get a mechanic to do it? Thx!!
Part numbers are :
48076-24010 & 48705-24010 (0 caster option)

that’s for the front left and right RCF/GSF LCA bushings.

I personally paid a mechanic. It was just $40 l labor as it only took 30 min. It is an incredibly fast easy job don’t pay for more than 1 hour labor and even that’s generous.
The following users liked this post:
LaZeR (01-14-21)
Old 01-14-21, 09:27 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Part numbers are : 48076-24010 & 48705-24010 (0 caster option) that’s for the front left and right RCF/GSF LCA bushings. I personally paid a mechanic. It was just $40 l labor as it only took 30 min. It is an incredibly fast easy job don’t pay for more than 1 hour labor and even that’s generous.
k thanks - don't mean to beat a dead horse but did u order online, or get the mechanic/dealer to get the parts?
Old 01-14-21, 09:33 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by LaZeR
k thanks - don't mean to beat a dead horse but did u order online, or get the mechanic/dealer to get the parts?
Shopped around online for best price.
Old 01-14-21, 09:44 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Lightbulb

... Looking at it, it doesn't look bald at all or am I blind.
Maybe "blind" - they're clearly fading on the outside hence almost "bald" but nothing to worry about atm.

I plan to get the Michelin Sport All Season Tires from Costco and replace all 4 at once, but I feel like I still have decent tread life atm.
Highly recommended, but just the fronts, or rears, at a time, might be sufficient - that's what I do.
Old 01-15-21, 07:30 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Yeah and I think city driving will contribute more to outter tire wear. Lots of lower speed turns would wear outside edge not inside.
Old 01-15-21, 07:40 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

That's about normal... though your tires held up a tad better than mine in front but that's how i drive. same set up, socal, summer bla bla.

You're about 5k away from when the front inners are going to start causing some concern. you really don't want to get anywhere near the steel belts cause that's how blowouts happen.

post some better pictures of the front inners. that's the concern, none of the other pics matter, they're fine. the front inners will go very very first on this car on this setup. i can sort of see them in your pics but it's too straight on. stick your camera in there and get a side view showing the depth.
Old 01-15-21, 11:00 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Honestly I just base my decision to buy new tires on tread depth and how they drive. Just get a tread depth measuring tool from your local Wal-Mart and check them out. You could even measure different points of the tire to see where the uneven wear is happening. Though I will say overall your tires look good outside of some premature wear on the outside which has been mentioned already.

Quick Reply: Do I need new tires yet?