IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

What’s easier to keep clean: ultra white or atomic silver?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-21, 06:25 PM
Misterjim
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What’s easier to keep clean: ultra white or atomic silver?

I have narrowed my search to a few f sport cars that are either ultra white or atomic silver. I like them both and can’t decide (though I maybe like white a bit better). To help sway me which is easier to keep clean?
Old 02-11-21, 10:06 PM
numair3is
Driver

Received 77 Likes on 44 Posts

Not going to help much but I have an atomic silver IS and my mom has a white NX.. both stay looking clean. I say go with atomic silver because it really accentuates the body lines in pretty much all lighting.
Old 02-12-21, 06:16 AM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Atomic silver
Old 02-12-21, 09:45 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Misterjim
I have narrowed my search to a few f sport cars that are either ultra white or atomic silver. I like them both and can’t decide (though I maybe like white a bit better). To help sway me which is easier to keep clean?
I never liked silver but over the years it seems to hold up better than any other color, though I've never owned one just looks that way.

both will look pretty clean after a rain for example,, but silver will hide imperfections even better.

Although, don't know the difference is great enough, if you like white better go with that! I have a white Lexus right now, literaly night vs day compared to my last black IS. Can go weeks without a wash and wouldnt even know it unless you're within 10ft.
Old 02-12-21, 09:49 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 884 Likes on 666 Posts

When you wipe off a dusty/dirty car, what color is the debris on your cloth? grey or white?

I was privileged to meet John Cafaro the Chief Designer for GM's Corvette and Camaro.
While touring his Warren MI studio I asked what color he used when doing the original line drawings.
Expecting Black as an answer I was intrigued when he answered Silver.
"You can see all the shadows and surfaces better" then, "The Marketing Guys paint them Purple!"
Old 02-12-21, 09:52 AM
jcruik
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I think as far as hiding scratches and surface imperfections, white is the way to go. If you're just worried about routine road grime, silver definitely hides that better.
Old 02-12-21, 01:41 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Atomic Silver will be far less maintenance for keeping the car looking clean and scratch / swirl free than any other non-silver color. White is okay at looking clean too, certainly much better than black or darker colors, but silver is still better for that purpose. Atomic Silver is also a 5 stage paint with a lot of depth and warmness, and I think it looks nicer when the light starts playing with the surface angles, the body lines show up much nicer on a silver car.

It comes down to this - between Ultra White and Atomic Silver, you should choose the car based on its condition and price first. Also strongly consider getting the Rioja Red interior, it looks fantastic on either color.
Old 02-12-21, 04:24 PM
Madvlad
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Silver for sure, I've had nothing but gray/beige cars for the exception of the IS300 I just got in white and sort of regret it lol, very hard to keep that thing clean mainly during winter times.
Old 02-12-21, 05:20 PM
Misterjim
Rookie

Originally Posted by GNS
Atomic Silver will be far less maintenance for keeping the car looking clean and scratch / swirl free than any other non-silver color. White is okay at looking clean too, certainly much better than black or darker colors, but silver is still better for that purpose. Atomic Silver is also a 5 stage paint with a lot of depth and warmness, and I think it looks nicer when the light starts playing with the surface angles, the body lines show up much nicer on a silver car.

It comes down to this - between Ultra White and Atomic Silver, you should choose the car based on its condition and price first. Also strongly consider getting the Rioja Red interior, it looks fantastic on either color.
I would love to get the red interior. Unfortunately, they are pretty rare. In fact, the dealers around here only have a few ISs to begin with and they always are black interior (boring if you ask me). Lexus SUVs are the thing they have a ton of!
Old 02-13-21, 07:39 AM
GNS
Intermediate

I would love to get the red interior. Unfortunately, they are pretty rare. In fact, the dealers around here only have a few ISs to begin with and they always are black interior (boring if you ask me). Lexus SUVs are the thing they have a ton of!
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&numRecords=25
I did a quick Autotrader search within 50 miles of a random NY zip code and found some AWD models with a red interior (since you're in NY?).
Old 02-13-21, 08:05 AM
Misterjim
Rookie

Originally Posted by GNS
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&numRecords=25
I did a quick Autotrader search within 50 miles of a random NY zip code and found some AWD models with a red interior (since you're in NY?).

I’m in Western NY, the closet one is more than 400 miles from me. There is a dealer who has a certified car with a red interior that can handle everything remotely and ship. I am considering this, I’m just not sure I want to do it.
Old 02-13-21, 08:08 AM
GNS
Intermediate

I’m in Western NY, the closet one is more than 400 miles from me. There is a dealer who has a certified car with a red interior that can handle everything remotely and ship. I am considering this i’m Just not sure I want to do this.
I'm not sure I'd buy a car without looking at it in person and test driving it. If you can live with a black interior, then I'd stick to what you can get your hands on in your area.
Old 02-13-21, 08:15 AM
Misterjim
Rookie

Originally Posted by GNS
I'm not sure I'd buy a car without looking at it in person and test driving it. If you can live with a black interior, then I'd stick to what you can get your hands on in your area.
Yeah, I go back and forth on this. I may wait a bit and see if anything pops up a little closer...
Old 02-13-21, 08:27 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 281 Likes on 209 Posts

White is always easier to keep clean.

For some reason people tend to think the lighter the color, the harder it is, couldn't be more wrong. Black is by far one of the hardest, and I had black obsidian on my LS460, never again lol. Washing the car (not detailing it) alone took me 2 hours minimum.
The following users liked this post:
NX200 (07-11-21)
Old 02-13-21, 01:59 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

I got the white.. gets dirty but after a wash it's fine for a while. Honestly, atomic silver would be my strong second, I believe that's the gunmetal type color? It would definitely hide imperfections / stay "looking" clean better than the white. I still like the white better tbh. Black IS would be my 3rd choice

Quick Reply: What’s easier to keep clean: ultra white or atomic silver?