2014 IS350 Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-21, 09:23 PM
is350spd5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 IS350 Maintenance

Hey guys,

I just bought a 2014 IS350 F Sport with 60k miles, and I'm just wondering what maintenance I should be looking at doing? Looking at doing plugs, trans fluid?, brake fluid, coolant, diff fluid, etc. Thanks in advance, any recommendations will help.
Old 02-27-21, 05:11 AM
tff
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Of course it depends if service has recently been done, but you can find the service schedule at the following link:
Service Guides for all Lexus Models | Lexus Drivers
Here is the 'cliff notes' version for service intervals:
Oil & filter 10k or 1 year, AC filter 10k or 1 year, Key battery 15k or 1.5 years, Brake fluid 30k or 3 years, Air filter 30k or 3 years, Spark plugs 60k or 6 years, Coolant 100k or 10 years then 50k or 5 years thereafter, Transmission fluid Sealed unit - NA, Transfer case Sealed unit - NA
Enjoy!
Old 02-27-21, 08:00 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by is350spd5
Hey guys,

I just bought a 2014 IS350 F Sport with 60k miles, and I'm just wondering what maintenance I should be looking at doing? Looking at doing plugs, trans fluid?, brake fluid, coolant, diff fluid, etc. Thanks in advance, any recommendations will help.
All of the above.
Transmission fluid change highly debated but using common sense and understanding there is absolutely NO lifelong fluid especially transmission and it’s not literally a sealed unit...it has a Drain hole, fill hole and overflow flow..if there was such thing as lifetime fluid they’d give you a lifetime warranty on transmission... do a simple drain n refill on transmission for about $150 and possibly prevent needing a new transmission for $5000 down the road. I changed my trans fluid at 50,000km and it was disgusting.
The following 2 users liked this post by NickCaesar:
GNS (03-06-21), ncatona (05-11-21)
Old 02-27-21, 08:29 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

If you service the transmission, use the Toyota oil as it's formulated for that tranny. I know there are good synthetics out there but I hear the Toyota one works the best for this transmission.
Old 02-27-21, 11:51 AM
is350spd5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
All of the above.
Transmission fluid change highly debated but using common sense and understanding there is absolutely NO lifelong fluid especially transmission and it’s not literally a sealed unit...it has a Drain hole, fill hole and overflow flow..if there was such thing as lifetime fluid they’d give you a lifetime warranty on transmission... do a simple drain n refill on transmission for about $150 and possibly prevent needing a new transmission for $5000 down the road. I changed my trans fluid at 50,000km and it was disgusting.
Thanks for the information! Do you have to drop the pan/is there a serviceable filter? Do you have any links to any videos/how-to's by chance? I couldn't seem to find any for this exact vehicle. This would be my first time doing a diff fluid change and a trans fluid change of this type, and I just want to make sure I'm doing everything properly.
Old 03-05-21, 07:46 PM
ronkelley
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks for the information! Do you have to drop the pan/is there a serviceable filter? Do you have any links to any videos/how-to's by chance? I couldn't seem to find any for this exact vehicle. This would be my first time doing a diff fluid change and a trans fluid change of this type, and I just want to make sure I'm doing everything properly.
--

Maybe you're more ambitious than I am, and maybe you have a lift and room to work, and a place to dump oil, etc., but I sure won't drop a pan and change a filter on a trans. It's not worth it to me to try to duplicate what a transmission shop can do in an hour with their equipment and experience. A guy's got to know his limits--so to speak.

--
Old 03-05-21, 09:10 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

YouTube search “transmission fluid change Toyota sealed transmission” it sounds complicated but really isn’t. Don’t worry about dropping pan...
there’s a ton of tutorials on this forum and YouTube.
Old 03-06-21, 06:55 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

You don't need to drop the pan, and there is no serviceable filter.
The tranny has a strainer, which unless you're rebuilding the tranny, can remain in the tranny indefinitely.
Old 03-06-21, 08:33 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

All of the above.
You did yours at 50000 km? I was going to do mine at 80k km (currently 21k now). I'll ask Rish at Mecano Autoworks next month when I'm in.
Old 03-06-21, 08:47 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by GNS
You did yours at 50000 km? I was going to do mine at 80k km (currently 21k now). I'll ask Rish at Mecano Autoworks next month when I'm in.
yep so it’s a “drain and refill” not a flush. Did 1 at 50,000km and another 2 around 75,000km...now I’m going to leave it alone most likely till I get rid of vehicle.
The procedure sounds really complicated, and it’s way more complicated than having a dipstick but it’s actually easy.

1) Make sure car is cold so transmission fluid temp is in between the specified temp range Toyota says verified with an obd2 scan tool or tech stream...
2) undo drain bolt, drain pan..you’ll get around 3 quarts coming out.
3) Refill about 3.5-4 quarts.
4) Turn on car, making sure temp range of trans fluid is within range...have someone put car through Gears
5) undo OVERFLOW bolt and it will start to drain, again verifying transmission fluid temp is still within Toyota specified range, once it’s a steady drip you close the overflow plug.

Car has to be cold, make sure it’s sitting for several hours before you do this if transmission fluid temps reach more than around 50 Celsius you are out of the temp range, fluids expanding to much and your overflow/check level procedure will be inaccurate.

Don’t need to drop pan or change filter.

I watched my mechanic do this from start to finish in 40 minutes...again it sounds complicated, once you get it it’s actually quite simple...you should not pay more than an hour labor plus trans fluid which is cheap if you use Toyota ws fluid.
Old 03-06-21, 06:09 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

yep so it’s a “drain and refill” not a flush. Did 1 at 50,000km and another 2 around 75,000km...now I’m going to leave it alone most likely till I get rid of vehicle.
The procedure sounds really complicated, and it’s way more complicated than having a dipstick but it’s actually easy.

1) Make sure car is cold so transmission fluid temp is in between the specified temp range Toyota says verified with an obd2 scan tool or tech stream...
2) undo drain bolt, drain pan..you’ll get around 3 quarts coming out.
3) Refill about 3.5-4 quarts.
4) Turn on car, making sure temp range of trans fluid is within range...have someone put car through Gears
5) undo OVERFLOW bolt and it will start to drain, again verifying transmission fluid temp is still within Toyota specified range, once it’s a steady drip you close the overflow plug.

Car has to be cold, make sure it’s sitting for several hours before you do this if transmission fluid temps reach more than around 50 Celsius you are out of the temp range, fluids expanding to much and your overflow/check level procedure will be inaccurate.

Don’t need to drop pan or change filter.

I watched my mechanic do this from start to finish in 40 minutes...again it sounds complicated, once you get it it’s actually quite simple...you should not pay more than an hour labor plus trans fluid which is cheap if you use Toyota ws fluid.
Yeah I think I get the part with the overflow, where the fluid gets up to temperature and expands, then the excess overflows. Once the overflow stabilizes, then it's at the right fluid level, no need to figure out exactly how much to add as long as you overfill it a bit on step 3.

How nasty was the trans fluid? Like dark brown, black? Also, did you do the transfer case service, and the differentials (front and rear)?
Old 03-06-21, 07:11 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by GNS
Yeah I think I get the part with the overflow, where the fluid gets up to temperature and expands, then the excess overflows. Once the overflow stabilizes, then it's at the right fluid level, no need to figure out exactly how much to add as long as you overfill it a bit on step 3.

How nasty was the trans fluid? Like dark brown, black? Also, did you do the transfer case service, and the differentials (front and rear)?
super dark in colour almost black. I also did both differentials. Transfer case uses the transmission fluid, its not a separate job.