IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.
View Poll Results: Which one would you pick?
2022 IS 500 F SPORT Performance
67.39%
2022 IS 500 F SPORT Performance Launch Edition
32.61%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Which would you pick? IS 500 F SPORT Performance or IS 500 Launch Edition

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-21, 04:13 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Which would you pick? IS 500 F SPORT Performance or IS 500 Launch Edition

Now that the 2022 Lexus IS 500 F SPORT Performance has been announced. Which one would you pick, the 2022 IS 500 F SPORT Performance or 2022 IS 500 F SPORT Performance Launch Edition and why?
Old 03-25-21, 06:26 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909

Now that the 2022 Lexus IS 500 F SPORT Performance has been announced. Which one would you pick, the 2022 IS 500 F SPORT Performance or 2022 IS 500 F SPORT Performance Launch Edition and why?
I like everything about launch edition except for color.
it's o.k. though. Just not my first choice.
Old 03-25-21, 07:48 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,800 Posts

I think the Enkei wheels look better on the standard model.
Old 03-25-21, 07:53 PM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

IS 500 F Sport Performance over the launch edition. Just not a fan of that color or the black wheels.
Old 03-25-21, 11:08 PM
Shoeboy4
Intermediate

Received 512 Likes on 182 Posts

IS 500 F Sport Perfomance, would rather have another color and prefer the Enkei wheels to the black BBS
Old 03-26-21, 07:05 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by GaryJG
I like everything about launch edition except for color.
it's o.k. though. Just not my first choice.
Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I think the Enkei wheels look better on the standard model.
Originally Posted by m1919
IS 500 F Sport Performance over the launch edition. Just not a fan of that color or the black wheels.
Originally Posted by Shoeboy4
IS 500 F Sport Perfomance, would rather have another color and prefer the Enkei wheels to the black BBS
For those that don't prefer Incognito...what color do you prefer?

Great feedback, keep it coming. I'm surprised some like the Enkeis over the BBS.
Old 03-26-21, 07:20 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I picked the regular model, but I do like the color on the Launch Edition...Incognito!
Unfortunately there's just not enough in the Launch Edition to justify paying whatever the extra is for it.
If you don't even have a Launch mode, then how do you even justify calling it a Launch Edition...unless they are looking at the word Launch in a completely different context.
I get that is has other options that only come on the Launch Edition...color, wood trim, etc...I guess the concept they are trying to promote is lost on me.
Old 03-26-21, 07:25 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I picked the regular model, but I do like the color on the Launch Edition...Incognito!
Unfortunately there's just not enough in the Launch Edition to justify paying whatever the extra is for it.
If you don't even have a Launch mode, then how do you even justify calling it a Launch Edition...unless they are looking at the word Launch in a completely different context.
I get that is has other options that only come on the Launch Edition...color, wood trim, etc...I guess the concept they are trying to promote is lost on me.
LOL Launch Edition doesn't mean it will have a Launch Mode. My 2020 RC F does have a Launch Mode...i've used it once or twice...I get the same result brake torqueing.

As for the special edition naming, it's no different than when the GR Supra was introduced with a limited Launch Edition.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/vehicle/2020-toyota-supra/

Old 03-26-21, 07:37 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

LOL Launch Edition doesn't mean it will have a Launch Mode. My 2020 RC F does have a Launch Mode...i've used it once or twice...I get the same result brake torqueing.

As for the special edition naming, it's no different than when the GR Supra was introduced with a limited Launch Edition.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/vehicle/2020-toyota-supra/
That actually makes it worse...so they have a Launch Edition RCF that has a Launch Mode...and now an IS500 Launch Edition that doesn't have Launch Mode...and Supra too.
Why not just call the it something else...Limited Edition...Spec Edition...etc.
I guess having driven other manufacturer Launch Edition vehicles that have actual Launch Mode, this is where Lexus is losing me.
I get that the Launch Mode doesn't make or break the package on the vehicle, but you'd think it would be pretty obvious for it to have it.

Imagine the conversation when you meet up with a buddy that's never driven a Lexus:
You: Hey buddy, check out my new 2022 Lexus IS500 Launch Edition
Buddy: Cool, never seen the inside of a Lexus or driven one before...can I try out the Launch Mode?
You: It doesn't actually have Launch Mode
Buddy: hops in his Ford F150 Hartley Davidson Edition truck and leaves

The following users liked this post:
athanato (04-07-21)
Old 03-26-21, 08:31 AM
Racer00J
Intermediate

Received 264 Likes on 125 Posts

Great feedback, keep it coming. I'm surprised some like the Enkeis over the BBS.
If I was getting an IS500 I'd get a regular one. Reason: I've always been partial to Ultrasonic Blue. It's my favorite F and F Sport color. And while I really like the suede interior in the launch edition, I'd easily give that interior up to have the USB paint. And the launch edition, while cool looking, doesn't seem special enough to me to warrant passing up on USB.

I wasn't a fan of the black BBS wheels (I usually don't like matte black wheels. They tend to look really cheap, like they were spray painted or something) until I saw them up close in person this past weekend. They're actually pretty nice, buuut I actually like the unique look of the Enkei wheels offered on the IS500. And the fact that they're lightweight is a nice bonus too.

Sidenote: this might sound odd but USB was the main reason I wanted an F Sport. Sadly, I couldn't find any decent ones when I was ready to buy, so I happily settled for a non F Sport IS.
Old 03-26-21, 08:37 AM
Shoeboy4
Intermediate

I prefer Ultra White, Cloudburst or USB. I am not a fan of black or matte black wheels on cars, if the bbs were gunmetal or regular silver I would be more than ok with them.

The limited number of the launch edition does nothing for me wanting the car more IMO it means the dealers around my area will mark them up with “fair market value” pushing the car out of reach for some just because it’s limited production. From the looks it’s indistinguishable from a DHP 350 outside of the bulge blacked out chrome and badge if it’s wearing the same bbs. With the enkeis you know it’s not a 350 as those wheels are not available on the current 350.

Last edited by Shoeboy4; 03-26-21 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-26-21, 09:39 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
That actually makes it worse...so they have a Launch Edition RCF that has a Launch Mode...and now an IS500 Launch Edition that doesn't have Launch Mode...and Supra too.
Why not just call the it something else...Limited Edition...Spec Edition...etc.
I guess having driven other manufacturer Launch Edition vehicles that have actual Launch Mode, this is where Lexus is losing me.
I get that the Launch Mode doesn't make or break the package on the vehicle, but you'd think it would be pretty obvious for it to have it.

Imagine the conversation when you meet up with a buddy that's never driven a Lexus:
You: Hey buddy, check out my new 2022 Lexus IS500 Launch Edition
Buddy: Cool, never seen the inside of a Lexus or driven one before...can I try out the Launch Mode?
You: It doesn't actually have Launch Mode
Buddy: hops in his Ford F150 Hartley Davidson Edition truck and leaves
I’m pretty confident you’re the minority on that interpretation.
natnut (03-28-21)
Old 03-26-21, 09:46 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I’m pretty confident you’re the minority on that interpretation.
If I am, so be it.
For what the "Launch Edition" moniker is worth they might as well have called it an IS500 Type-R...
Based on the comments about the color and wheels, it looks like the "Launch Edition" is on the road to being the "Dud Edition" anyways.
Old 03-26-21, 10:12 AM
Shoeboy4
Intermediate

Launch edition is not for everyone. It’s for that person that wants to have a special limited edition of what will no doubt be a great car. I understand them putting specific interior and color on it as to set it apart in some way from the regular production version
ISBuzzman (03-31-21)
Old 03-26-21, 10:23 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Red...I found that my red sporty cars part the left lane faster as I approach at high speeds Yes its also a cop magnet so it has both benefits and disadvantages. The Lexus red is pretty nice.

Quick Reply: Which would you pick? IS 500 F SPORT Performance or IS 500 Launch Edition