2014 IS350 throwing codes after sparkplug install

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-21, 01:46 AM
Zerotec
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Unhappy 2014 IS350 throwing codes after sparkplug install

Hello everyone!

I am new to being a Lexus owner along with being on the forums. I decided to change my sparkplugs myself and everything was fine until it threw some codes after the install. P0348, P0102, P0113 to be exact. I've made sure that everything is plugged in and none of these codes were here before I put the new OEM sparkplugs in. Has anyone experienced this before that can help me with this? Any input would be much appreciated!
Old 04-04-21, 07:52 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Questions:
1. Any chance that someone turned the ignition on while you were changing the plugs?
2. How does the car actually run now with the codes present?
3.Have you cleared the codes to see if they come back?

If I had to guess, the answer to question 1 above is going to be Yes...which would explain the codes. The codes represent a few of the things that would be unplugged during the spark plug replacement.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
ShrinkDoc (04-05-21), Zerotec (04-04-21)
Old 04-04-21, 12:37 PM
Zerotec
Driver

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Welcome to the forum!

Questions:
1. Any chance that someone turned the ignition on while you were changing the plugs?
2. How does the car actually run now with the codes present?
3.Have you cleared the codes to see if they come back?

If I had to guess, the answer to question 1 above is going to be Yes...which would explain the codes. The codes represent a few of the things that would be unplugged during the spark plug replacement.
Thank you! Appreciate the response. Actually yes to question 1. We were attempting to clean the throttle body as well and had read on a few sites that pressing the gas pedal while the car is in accessory/with the ignition turned on that the throttle body would open (I've never had any electronic throttle body before). It was pressed before taking out the sparkplugs and then we tried again after installing the sparkplugs on the passenger side. We wanted to try again before bolting everything up on the passenger side but it never ended up working so we plugged everything back up and started working on the driver side. Any idea how to fix this?

I've noticed that the car now almost hesitates when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. Almost like a lag. And yes, I did clear the codes and they ended up coming back. I was reading that disconnecting the battery might help as well but that ended up not working either.

Last edited by Zerotec; 04-04-21 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-04-21, 05:57 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

The codes relate to the Mass Air Flow (MAF) on the intake tube and the Cam sensor on the driver's side, near the oil filter cap.
If both components where plugged back in and the codes cleared, the codes will not come back...I guarantee you that. This is assuming the codes were not there before you started the spark plug replacement...which they didn't seem to be, and they are completely unrelated to each other.
Confirm the wires didn't come out of the Cam sensor connector...for some reason others have ripped the wires right out when changing spark plugs.
Assuming no connectors are damaged I can only assume the two connectors are not plugged in...or plugged in properly.

Also, you can clean the throttle body by manually opening the flap, and holding it open, when spraying and cleaning with the other hand.
Old 04-04-21, 08:40 PM
Zerotec
Driver

The codes relate to the Mass Air Flow (MAF) on the intake tube and the Cam sensor on the driver's side, near the oil filter cap.
If both components where plugged back in and the codes cleared, the codes will not come back...I guarantee you that. This is assuming the codes were not there before you started the spark plug replacement...which they didn't seem to be, and they are completely unrelated to each other.
Confirm the wires didn't come out of the Cam sensor connector...for some reason others have ripped the wires right out when changing spark plugs.
Assuming no connectors are damaged I can only assume the two connectors are not plugged in...or plugged in properly.

Also, you can clean the throttle body by manually opening the flap, and holding it open, when spraying and cleaning with the other hand.
Alright, so I went to double check all the wires and one of the wires from the cam sensor connecter isn’t in all the way. I moved each wire individually and one of them was actually able to come out rather than the others which were snug. How much would a fix like this cost? Sadly, I don’t have any soldering skills.

As far as the MAF sensor, I didn’t see anything that seemed off. I have retried disconnecting and reconnecting the connecter. I did this both last night along with earlier today when I cleared the codes and they came back.

Oh that’s great to know about the throttle body. I was reading places that sometimes it can be harmful but I’ll have to give it a try when I clean it.

I’m going to be taking this to my mechanic ASAP. What are the consequences of driving when my car is in this condition?

Last edited by Zerotec; 04-04-21 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-04-21, 09:24 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

In terms of the codes, you don't need to worry about the MAF sensor...only the cam sensor.
Quick explanation...the "Confirmed" codes are the ones that are currently set. The issue needs to be corrected before they can be cleared...in this case the P0348.
The "Permanent" codes are codes that cannot be cleared even when the issue is resolved...they cannot be cleared with a scanner or by disconnecting the battery...they can only be cleared by driving the vehicle is the specified drive pattern for the code.
Once you fix the Cam sensor connector and clear the "Confirmed" codes, you will only have the Permanent codes left...in time from just driving the vehicle they will also be cleared.

If the wire came out of the connector without the pin attached to the end, which is likely what you're looking at, then you will need a new terminal with a length of wire attached to it.
That length of wire than then be cut and soldered to the end of wire you have now...ideally it should be soldered and heatshrinked for a proper repair.
The terminal can be purchased from the dealer or online...part number 82998-74030.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post11007546
The following users liked this post:
pngo (04-05-21)
Old 04-04-21, 09:26 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Zerotec
What are the consequences of driving when my car is in this condition?
Nothing much really...the VVTi system just won't function...so no additional power and likely a little worse fuel mileage. It may do some other weird things like the shift issue you noticed, but nothing that will cause any damage.
Saying all that, please do get it fixed ASAP.
Old 04-04-21, 10:50 PM
Zerotec
Driver

Okay great! I really do appreciate all the help. It's helped me a bunch. Thank you so much. If anything else comes up I'll let you know.
Old 04-07-21, 12:32 PM
Zerotec
Driver

In terms of the codes, you don't need to worry about the MAF sensor...only the cam sensor.
Quick explanation...the "Confirmed" codes are the ones that are currently set. The issue needs to be corrected before they can be cleared...in this case the P0348.
The "Permanent" codes are codes that cannot be cleared even when the issue is resolved...they cannot be cleared with a scanner or by disconnecting the battery...they can only be cleared by driving the vehicle is the specified drive pattern for the code.
Once you fix the Cam sensor connector and clear the "Confirmed" codes, you will only have the Permanent codes left...in time from just driving the vehicle they will also be cleared.

If the wire came out of the connector without the pin attached to the end, which is likely what you're looking at, then you will need a new terminal with a length of wire attached to it.
That length of wire than then be cut and soldered to the end of wire you have now...ideally it should be soldered and heatshrinked for a proper repair.
The terminal can be purchased from the dealer or online...part number 82998-74030.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post11007546
Alright, I went to my mechanic to see if he'd be able to fix it because instead of fixing the terminal we were just going to replace the pigtail connecter. He was going to use an existing one but didn't find any that matched. Do you happen to know where I can get a pigtail connector in which I could just splice/solder and heatshrink the existing wires to?
Old 04-07-21, 02:46 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Alright, I went to my mechanic to see if he'd be able to fix it because instead of fixing the terminal we were just going to replace the pigtail connecter. He was going to use an existing one but didn't find any that matched. Do you happen to know where I can get a pigtail connector in which I could just splice/solder and heatshrink the existing wires to?
Amazon or eBay...I kid you not. Literally just look up "IS350 Camshaft position sensor pigtail". It's the same connector that fits a host of other Toyota/Lexus vehicles.
There is likely a local parts supplier you can get it from...I'm not sure what's available near you, but there has to be a Napa, Autozone, or something of the like.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
manchild (01-16-22), Zerotec (04-07-21), zhifan1 (01-17-22)
Old 04-07-21, 04:06 PM
Zerotec
Driver

Amazon or eBay...I kid you not. Literally just look up "IS350 Camshaft position sensor pigtail". It's the same connector that fits a host of other Toyota/Lexus vehicles.
There is likely a local parts supplier you can get it from...I'm not sure what's available near you, but there has to be a Napa, Autozone, or something of the like.
Oh okay wow. Just ordered one on amazon. Appreciate it!
Old 04-09-21, 12:54 PM
Zerotec
Driver

Alright, just got the connector. As far as colors they are different. I assume red goes to purple, yellow to white, and black to grey?

Old 04-09-21, 03:22 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Alright, just got the connector. As far as colors they are different. I assume red goes to purple, yellow to white, and black to grey?
Yes...you got it
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
manchild (01-16-22), Zerotec (04-10-21)
Old 01-16-22, 05:04 PM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I just had this problem. When I pulled the wiring harness on the driver side I damaged the clip for the cam sensor. Make sure you unplug everything before you work, don't make my mistake. I accidentally pulled the wires out of the driver sider cam position sensor connector clip. You can't really put them back in unless you know how to rebuild the clip. Mine was brittle so I threw it out and replaced it with a new plug with wires pigtailed.

Do yourself a favor as Sasnuke says and solder & heat shrink the new wires. That way you don't have to go back and fix it later. Then just electrical tape it in-line with the wiring harness and plug it in.

I used this one
Amazon Amazon

Red to Yellow
Black to Grey
Yellow to Purple
If you have a different plug just look at the wires to get the order correct. Your car will not start if the order is incorrect... After I put the new connector on, my car fired up perfectly. Before that it just cranked...

Last edited by manchild; 01-16-22 at 07:34 PM.