IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 OS constant reboot or black screen.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-21 | 04:11 PM
brennan805
Driver School Candidate

Default 2014 OS constant reboot or black screen.

Hello,

I have 2014 IS 350 F-Sport. The issue I am having is that the OS will constantly reboot, does not display anything resulting in a black screen, and on bootup of the car, there will be no display as well. The OS will work here and there but often rarely and everything works fine from sound, radio, Bluetooth, and navigation. Is this a Firmware issue that will resolve this problem?

The Current Navigation I have is :
V10C8940
The Current Operating System I have is:
Old 04-08-21 | 06:04 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

There used to be a Lexus authorized site for downloading firmware updates...and there were updates for the 2014.
However in checking the site now, the updates are no longer available...https://securedp.lexus.com/download-app/downloads
Additionally you need to be able to access the menu in the Navigation system in order to apply the firmware update via USB.
Since your unit seems to be stuck at the blank screen, this likely isn't going to be possible even if you were able to get the firmware.

Ultimately you will need a new radio head unit.
There are multiple threads on here with this issue, and even several threads this week with this issue. For 2014 it is a common occurrence unfortunately.

Last edited by Sasnuke; 04-09-21 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-08-21 | 11:44 PM
brennan805
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
There used to be a Lexus authorized site for downloading firmware updates...and there were updates for the 2014.
However in checking the site no, the updates are no longer available...https://securedp.lexus.com/download-app/downloads
Additionally you need to be able to access the menu in the Navigation system in order to apply the firmware update via USB.
Since you're unit seems to be stuck at the blank screen, this likely isn't going to be possible even if you were able to get the firmware.

Ultimately you will need a new radio head unit.
There are multiple threads on here with this issue, and even several threads this week with this issue. For 2014 it is a common occurrence unfortunately.
There are moments where I am able to access the menu screen and the full functionality of the nav system. So where and what would the download be that I would have to get to put on my USB stick to download this firmware? Also what is the current version of the 2014 IS 350's for nav and OS?
Old 04-09-21 | 06:11 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

The firmware is just a file that you load onto a USB.
Make sure the USB is blank, formatted to FAT32, and no bigger than 8GB.
Here is a link to the file i have in my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3u2nbkond5..._0007.kwi?dl=0
I'm not sure what the most current version is that shows on the unit, but if you've never had the firmware updated it's likely an old version...there have been 2 or 3 updates to the firmware.

Jus follow the instructions in the attached document on how to apply the firmware update.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-TCI-5107_en.pdf (556.1 KB, 135 views)
Old 04-09-21 | 06:25 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

I think Lexus should have issued a TSB for this issue. My friend with a 2014 is also going through same thing now, will probably need another head unit.
Old 04-09-21 | 07:16 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by babaijebu
I think Lexus should have issued a TSB for this issue. My friend with a 2014 is also going through same thing now, will probably need another head unit.
The TSB is attached to my message above...however it's only covered for the warranty period.
I think you meant a recall...which they likely won't do as it's not a safety issue per say.
Old 04-09-21 | 09:11 PM
bmwlexus09
Rookie

I had to record video of it happening and showed it to the service advisor. The only way I could get mine to work was turn off the car and turn it back on. After multiple times, he got Lexus to replace the unit under warranty. Hoping that the replacement unit won’t have the same problem months or years from now.
Old 04-11-21 | 12:58 AM
brennan805
Driver School Candidate

The firmware is just a file that you load onto a USB.
Make sure the USB is blank, formatted to FAT32, and no bigger than 8GB.
Here is a link to the file i have in my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3u2nbkond5..._0007.kwi?dl=0
I'm not sure what the most current version is that shows on the unit, but if you've never had the firmware updated it's likely an old version...there have been 2 or 3 updates to the firmware.

Just follow the instructions in the attached document on how to apply the firmware update.
I have gotten the screen to work properly but when inserting the USB drive into the adapter in the center console. It prompted me with "no music files" on the screen? This is also using the .0007 file in your drop box. Could this mean that it is updated to the latest version and therefore it would be an issue with the head unit?
Old 04-11-21 | 01:40 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brennan805
I have gotten the screen to work properly but when inserting the USB drive into the adapter in the center console. It prompted me with "no music files" on the screen? This is also using the .0007 file in your drop box. Could this mean that it is updated to the latest version and therefore it would be an issue with the head unit?
I'm going to guess that you didn't follow the instructions in the PDF that I attached.
Having said that, if you did make it to page 8 of the PDF you would have seen that you do actually have the latest firmware installed...and no, that didn't cause the "no music files" prompt on the screen.
And yes, you do need a head unit for sure...the firmware was only a long shot to fix the issue, once the unit starts experiencing the blank screen the head unit is pretty much done.
Old 04-13-21 | 02:21 PM
brennan805
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to guess that you didn't follow the instructions in the PDF that I attached.
Having said that, if you did make it to page 8 of the PDF you would have seen that you do actually have the latest firmware installed...and no, that didn't cause the "no music files" prompt on the screen.
And yes, you do need a head unit for sure...the firmware was only a long shot to fix the issue, once the unit starts experiencing the blank screen the head unit is pretty much done.
I apologize, that is my fault for not reading that PDF, I must have missed it. But, I appreciate the help and I will most likely have to get a new head unit for the car.