IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New custom alignment on RSR down springs - inner tire wear concern

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-21, 10:36 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts
Default New custom alignment on RSR down springs - inner tire wear concern

Firestone manager finally listened when I told him I wanted my wheels toed in. I saw a post on the sticked thread above how he toed in his front wheels at 0.08 on both sides and had 0.015 on rears. I don't have SPC camber arms though. My last set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires lasted around 20ish K miles. I'm trying to get a bit more out of them. The outer side of my tires were fine, but the inner fronts had steal showing and I noticed the rears were wearing kind of bad too. Let me know what you guys think of the alignment spec and whether or not I should go for the SPC camber arms next. A friend of mine told me that I would be changing the driving dynamic of the car too much (and making it ghetto) if I get camber arms. I've had my RSR down springs for about a year now on with 20mm front / 25mm rear spacers w/ RCF/GSF bushings as well.

New custom alignment on RSR down springs - inner tire wear concern-js36bzp.jpg
Old 04-09-21, 09:07 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 166 Likes on 118 Posts

As far as your friend - Generally speaking, getting camber arms to bring it back closer to 0 would be smart to save tire life...since toe wears faster than camber. Would not be "ghetto" but to each heir own.

I ran coilovers with finger gap all around and my rear camber was around the same as yours within spec no issues as far as wear in the rear
Old 04-09-21, 10:40 AM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by JNP1227
As far as your friend - Generally speaking, getting camber arms to bring it back closer to 0 would be smart to save tire life...since toe wears faster than camber. Would not be "ghetto" but to each heir own.

I ran coilovers with finger gap all around and my rear camber was around the same as yours within spec no issues as far as wear in the rear
What do you run your toe at?
Old 04-09-21, 11:13 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 166 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
What do you run your toe at?
I got it as close I could to 0
Old 04-09-21, 11:47 AM
Farina300
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Not real sure what year your car is, but my 2020 300 AWD has some adjustment to get front camber in spec. I did my own alignment and my specs, with RSR Down and SPC rear adjustables, are as follows:

Front:
Camber -0.5 degrees
Toe zero

Rear:
Camber -1.5 degrees
Toe 0.12

Car drives straight as an arrow. I would highly recommend getting the rear adjustable camber arms, and seeing if there's an adjustment to get that front camber back in, as that will definitely wear the inner tires pretty easily.

- Shane
Old 04-09-21, 12:08 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by Farina300
Not real sure what year your car is, but my 2020 300 AWD has some adjustment to get front camber in spec. I did my own alignment and my specs, with RSR Down and SPC rear adjustables, are as follows:

Front:
Camber -0.5 degrees
Toe zero
Only the AWD has front camber adjustment...with RSR Downs I was only able to get my front to -1.5 Camber...the eccentric didn't have anymore adjustment.
If you were able to get it -0.5 then that's good.
Old 04-09-21, 03:11 PM
swaangin
Racer

Front:
Camber -0.5 degrees
Toe zero

Rear:
Camber -1.5 degrees
Toe 0.12

Car drives straight as an arrow. I would highly recommend getting the rear adjustable camber arms, and seeing if there's an adjustment to get that front camber back in, as that will definitely wear the inner tires pretty easily.

- Shane
2015 IS 250 AWD so I have slight camber adjustment but they told me the max camber they can do is -1.4-1.6 in the front. I'm surprised that you're saying you're able to get yours to -0.5 degrees because as Sasnuke mentioned, that's the max I can get it to either.

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Only the AWD has front camber adjustment...with RSR Downs I was only able to get my front to -1.5 Camber...the eccentric didn't have anymore adjustment.
If you were able to get it -0.5 then that's good.
What's your rear camber on the RSR downs? You have the AWD IS?
Old 04-09-21, 03:26 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

2015 IS 250 AWD so I have slight camber adjustment but they told me the max camber they can do is -1.4-1.6 in the front. I'm surprised that you're saying you're able to get yours to -0.5 degrees because as Sasnuke mentioned, that's the max I can get it to either.
What's your rear camber on the RSR downs? You have the AWD IS?
I have an AWD as well...rear camber is -2.5...just on the edge of the range. I've left it as is without any camber arms.

For the front every IS with RSR Downs I've seen a printout is within that -1.4 to -1.6 range...realistically you can't get it to -0.5 with the factory adjusters.
Either something else was used to adjust it to that...like an adjustable upper ball joint, or the tool used to measure the Camber was not set up properly.
While nothing is impossible, it's highly improbable that the adjustment was made with the factory eccentrics.
Old 04-09-21, 03:49 PM
Farina300
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I used nothing else other than the factory stuff on the front, and used the latest Hunter Alignment machine recently updated to do my alignment. I also had zero problems getting it to -.5 camber, it is maxed at that, but didn't struggle nonetheless. For all I know there's a possibility that I missed the 1 in front of it, but it was a couple months ago and I've worked on tons of cars since so who knows.

- Shane
Old 04-09-21, 04:01 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I used nothing else other than the factory stuff on the front, and used the latest Hunter Alignment machine recently updated to do my alignment. I also had zero problems getting it to -.5 camber, it is maxed at that, but didn't struggle nonetheless. For all I know there's a possibility that I missed the 1 in front of it, but it was a couple months ago and I've worked on tons of cars since so who knows.

- Shane
Likely there was a "1" in there as that seems to be the common landing spot for RSR Downs on the front with maxed out adjusters.
I miss the days of doing my own alignments...now I gotta trust someone to do it for me...my OCD is on fire lol!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
swaangin (04-09-21), wthrman2 (04-11-21)
Old 04-09-21, 04:58 PM
swaangin
Racer

I have an AWD as well...rear camber is -2.5...just on the edge of the range. I've left it as is without any camber arms.

For the front every IS with RSR Downs I've seen a printout is within that -1.4 to -1.6 range...realistically you can't get it to -0.5 with the factory adjusters.
Either something else was used to adjust it to that...like an adjustable upper ball joint, or the tool used to measure the Camber was not set up properly.
While nothing is impossible, it's highly improbable that the adjustment was made with the factory eccentrics.
What's your toe set to? What mileage are you changing tires on? What tire brand are you using?
Old 04-09-21, 05:45 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

What's your toe set to? What mileage are you changing tires on? What tire brand are you using?
What's your toe set to? In reference to the alignment sheet you posted, my Toe would be dead center of the range...what the actual number is, I definitely cannot remember. Front was likely 0.0 and rear about 0.9.
What mileage are you changing tires on? So that's kinda interesting...I never replaced worn out tires on my IS yet....meaning I run Summer and Winter sets of wheels, and I've changed the Summer wheels (rims and tires) twice since the OEM F Sport wheels and the Winter wheels (rim and tires) since my original set. I've never actually worn out a set of tires yet...wear gets split between Summer and Winter wheels. My car has 86K Kms on it now...I was only doing 10K a year before the pandemic...this last year I did 20K in just a year.
What tire brand are you using? Now I'm using Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires.
Old 04-09-21, 07:41 PM
swaangin
Racer

What's your toe set to? In reference to the alignment sheet you posted, my Toe would be dead center of the range...what the actual number is, I definitely cannot remember. Front was likely 0.0 and rear about 0.9.
What mileage are you changing tires on? So that's kinda interesting...I never replaced worn out tires on my IS yet....meaning I run Summer and Winter sets of wheels, and I've changed the Summer wheels (rims and tires) twice since the OEM F Sport wheels and the Winter wheels (rim and tires) since my original set. I've never actually worn out a set of tires yet...wear gets split between Summer and Winter wheels. My car has 86K Kms on it now...I was only doing 10K a year before the pandemic...this last year I did 20K in just a year.
What tire brand are you using? Now I'm using Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires.
Thanks for that info, makes sense you're not changing tires since you're running 2 set ups, I'm on all seasons. Dead center according to my sheet would basically be 0.0. I took the 0.09 toe in (on both sides) from the first post in the inner tire thread post.