IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Check Headlight System

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-21, 09:32 AM
nebulazoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Check Headlight System

Hey guys. I recently purchased an is350 from copart and done fixed it up except for one thing

I have a "Check Headlight System" on the dash

Now I was able to have a lexus dealership tell me what it meant, to my surprise they said I have the wrong style headlamps on

RN I'm currently running HID lamp instead of LED. The mechanic shop I used said LED didn't fit (which I ordered 1st)...........but HID would (what I'm running now)

Im also seeing conflicting stuff when I run the VIN on lexus website themselves... to look up the specs

So which one does it need? HID or LED? Vin: JTHCE1D26E5005177

Old 04-16-21, 09:52 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

It say standard package hid and f sport package say led which package is your car non f sport or f sport?
Old 04-16-21, 10:00 AM
nebulazoe
Driver School Candidate

Its a 2014 f sport
Old 04-16-21, 06:24 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Depending on region and package will depend on what headlights you get.
According to your screenshots it's supposed to have LED headlights.
The physical headlights are the same between HID and LED...the difference visually is the amount of projector lenses.
The HID has a single projector while the LED has dual projectors.
If you have the single HID projector headlights in the vehicle now that would explain the warning message on the dash.
Get the proper headlights...plug them in...and you're good to go.
Old 04-17-21, 04:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

This is how the car came from the factory:

Vehicle Information Division: LEXUS Model: IS350 Grade: NON-GRADE Model Year: 2014
Drive Type: 4WD Body Type: 4Dr. Sedan Engine Family: V6 - 2GR-FSE Engine No: 2GR 8860430 Date of First Use: 08/21/2014 Production Date: 05/30/2014
Plant Code: 1 - JAPAN - TMC Transmission: 6AT
VIN: JTH-CE1D2-6E5005177 Dest: USA

STANDARD FEATURES 3.5 liter V6-24 valve, dual overhead cam (DOHC), Direct & port injection, Variable Valve Timing (VVT-i),
306 hp 277 lb-ft Torque 6-speed automatic transmission- paddle shifters, Electronic Control with Intelligence (ECT-i), Full time All-Wheel
Drive Drive Mode Select- ECO, Normal, Sport & Snow Double wishbone front & multi-link rear suspension Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM)
Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) w/Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) & Brake Assist (BA) 17" Aluminum Wheels 225/45R17 All-Season Tires,
Location specific tire pressure monitoring system
High Intensity Discharge Headlamps (HID)- low & high beams,
LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)
Dual Chrome Exhaust Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/One-Touch Open/Close SmartAccess with Push Button Start/Stop Rear View Mirror- Auto Dimming,
HomeLink Garage Door Opener Driver Seat: Heated, 10-Way power, (including 2-way lumbar), Passenger Seat: Heated, 8-way pwr
Folding rear seats (60/40 Split) Multi Information Display(MID)- full color display includes Audio, Phone & Trip Information
Lexus Premium Display Audio System- HD Radio with real-time traffic and weather, Gracenote album art, MP3 player USB integration,
SiriusXM Satellite Radio (90-day trial subscription) Bluetooth hands free phones & media streaming
Airbags: Driver & Front passenger: Front, Knee & Side (6), Rear Side (2), Side Curtain (2)
Safety Connect: Automatic Collision Notification, Stolen Vehicle Location, Emergency Assist Button (SOS), & Enhanced Roadside Assistance (1-year trial subscription included) Exterior Color: 01H9, NEBULA GRAY PEARL Interior Color: EB30, RIOJA RED
Interior Trim Color: EB, SYNTHETIC LEATHER Interior Fabric: *, * Accessories: BD: BLIND SPOT MONITOR WITH REAR CROSS-TRAFFIC ALERT FJ: F SPORT PACKAGE
GN: Cargo Net KG: SmartAccess Key Gloves LM: Trunk Mat NV: Navigation Package WL: Wheel Locks Z1: Accy Pkg: Trunk Mat, Cargo Net & Wheel Locks
Old 04-17-21, 05:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Your best bet to validate this is to provide your VIN to a Lexus Parts counter and have them look up what fits your car. The online resources are showing either the HID or the LED "fits" using your VIN which clearly can't be right. The only other way to be sure is to check the wiring harness that plugs into the headlamp unit. The LED and the HID have different part numbers, and they usually have a marking on them to show what the part number is. My bet is, it's not possible to plug the HID unit in with the LED unit harness and vice versa.
Old 04-19-21, 09:02 AM
nebulazoe
Driver School Candidate

Gotcha. Now last piece to the puzzle, I grabbed the harness from the chassis. Do these connectors look right? I remember seeing somewhere that a 8 pin connector is for HID and a 7 pin connector is for LED
Old 04-19-21, 09:40 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Maybe this will help. I can't verify the LED lighting connectors, but these are the details for the connectors in your hand. The 8 pin is for the main light. The 6 pin is for front turn signal and auto-leveling motor. The 3 pin is for the clearance lighting. The 2 pin is for the fog lights. Here are the wire colors for the 8 pin and 6 pin. With any good luck you'll have a clearer picture of what you have.

Old 04-19-21, 09:43 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by nebulazoe
Gotcha. Now last piece to the puzzle, I grabbed the harness from the chassis. Do these connectors look right? I remember seeing somewhere that a 8 pin connector is for HID and a 7 pin connector is for LED
To clarify one thing...the HID and LED headlights have the same 8 pin connector. The difference is the HID headlight uses 6 wires of the 8, and the LED headlights use 7 wires of the 8.
In your pic, the bottom left connector is the headlight connector...8 pin. Regardless of the headlight the vehicle actually takes, pin 2 is always empty.
Of the remaining wires, pin 7 (light green for drivers side and black for passenger side) is the additional wire that the LED headlights need.
If the connector is missing a wire in pin 7, then your vehicle uses HID headlights. If there is a wire in pin 7, then it could mean one of two things...the car needs LED headlights, or, the car is pre-wired for LED headlights, which is absolutely possible since it's a 2014 (first year of production). If it is pre-wired for LED headlights it doesn't mean you can swap them in...you will also need the correct Main Body ECU so you don't get error messages...like you're having now.