IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Low oil pressure warning flash

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-21, 02:47 PM
is350nelly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil pressure warning flash

Usually on “cold starts” in my garage or whenever the car is sitting for a few hours or so the low oil pressure warning flashes for a split second when I start the car. Has anyone had this issue? 56k miles is350. Oil level is at the proper level. Using Toyota oil and filter as well
Old 05-10-21, 06:22 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I'm not sure if what you're referring to is the normal situation where all the dash warning lights come on for a split second just before the car starts cranking. In that case the oil pressure light will come on for a split second, but then again so does every other light.
The light is triggered by a lack of pressure, so in theory it should be on for a split second while the car starts to crank and pressure builds.
If the oil level is full, then I would think that there is no issue.

It doesn't sound like anything abnormal is occurring.
Old 05-10-21, 08:18 AM
is350nelly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I'm not sure if what you're referring to is the normal situation where all the dash warning lights come on for a split second just before the car starts cranking. In that case the oil pressure light will come on for a split second, but then again so does every other light.
The light is triggered by a lack of pressure, so in theory it should be on for a split second while the car starts to crank and pressure builds.
If the oil level is full, then I would think that there is no issue.

It doesn't sound like anything abnormal is occurring.
this most definitely is an abnormal condition. It’s not part of the start up lights. It’s an error message that flashes across the cluster screen. I’ll post a video if I can
Old 05-10-21, 08:31 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Ah...I didn't realize it was an actual warning message on the cluster...I thought it was just the light you were referring to.
A video would be great!

What does the actual message say? if it's on long enough to read.
Old 05-10-21, 11:04 AM
is350nelly
Driver School Candidate

Ah...I didn't realize it was an actual warning message on the cluster...I thought it was just the light you were referring to.
A video would be great!

What does the actual message say? if it's on long enough to read.

it says low oil pressure warning. I had to crop down the video but you can see it flash quickly
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_4324.MOV (3.43 MB, 360 views)
Old 05-10-21, 11:55 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Wasn't able to open the video on my Windows 10 PC or Samsung phone...I'm guessing it's an iPhone video (gotta love Apple).

Since the only way the car knows the oil pressure is from the Oil Pressure Switch, you could try replacing it and see what happens.
It's right on top the oil filter housing...it's a single wire connector and the switch screws into the housing.

Depending on how quickly it flashes I'm not sure if it's an issue or not. I can't say I've noticed on my IS, but then again I'm rarely looking at the dash right when it's cranking/fires. Usually I'm putting the phone in the holder or my seatbelt on.
I wonder if it matters what info screen you have it on or not...usually mine is set to the tire pressure for my F Sport gauges.
You already confirmed you are using 0W20 and an OEM filter...so it's really down to the oil pump or the pressure switch...once again, providing it's an issue to begin with.
If the light was on for more than a split second I'd be concerned, because it only takes a moment for the oil pump to turn and build pressure.

What year/model is you IS? Outside of it being a 350.
Old 05-10-21, 12:27 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Wasn't able to open the video on my Windows 10 PC or Samsung phone...I'm guessing it's an iPhone video (gotta love Apple).

Since the only way the car knows the oil pressure is from the Oil Pressure Switch, you could try replacing it and see what happens.
It's right on top the oil filter housing...it's a single wire connector and the switch screws into the housing.

Depending on how quickly it flashes I'm not sure if it's an issue or not. I can't say I've noticed on my IS, but then again I'm rarely looking at the dash right when it's cranking/fires. Usually I'm putting the phone in the holder or my seatbelt on.
I wonder if it matters what info screen you have it on or not...usually mine is set to the tire pressure for my F Sport gauges.
You already confirmed you are using 0W20 and an OEM filter...so it's really down to the oil pump or the pressure switch...once again, providing it's an issue to begin with.
If the light was on for more than a split second I'd be concerned, because it only takes a moment for the oil pump to turn and build pressure.

What year/model is you IS? Outside of it being a 350.

The following users liked this post:
Sasnuke (05-10-21)
Old 05-10-21, 12:32 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by is350nelly
this most definitely is an abnormal condition. It’s not part of the start up lights. It’s an error message that flashes across the cluster screen. I’ll post a video if I can
Originally Posted by NickCaesar
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the warning message is on at the same time as the warning lights as part of the startup cycle.

Thanks for pulling out the screenshot @NickCaesar ...good ole Apple.
Old 05-10-21, 01:56 PM
is350nelly
Driver School Candidate

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the warning message is on at the same time as the warning lights as part of the startup cycle.

Thanks for pulling out the screenshot @NickCaesar ...good ole Apple.
It is on at the same time as the startup cycle yes but it’s not part of that. I’ve had this car for 2 years now and it’s never done it before until recently and it’s intermittent. It’s a 2016 is350 f sport. It’s still under warranty so im going to head down to the dealer and have them look at it.
Old 05-11-21, 05:06 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Definitely bring the video to their attention cause they will likely have a difficult time reproducing the issue.
If anything they will likely change the pressure switch if it's still under warranty. It's an inexpensive part and it's easy to change.

Let us know how it goes...I think you are the first person to report this specific issue.
Old 05-12-21, 09:11 PM
is350nelly
Driver School Candidate

Definitely bring the video to their attention cause they will likely have a difficult time reproducing the issue.
If anything they will likely change the pressure switch if it's still under warranty. It's an inexpensive part and it's easy to change.

Let us know how it goes...I think you are the first person to report this specific issue.
So the dealer said that it was low oil about a quart or so. According to the dip stick the oil was at the correct level between low and high. It was closer to high than to the low end. However, they said they added some dye to the oil and to come back in 1000 miles so they can verify that it is not consuming oil. I guess we’ll find out in about a month or so how it goes.
Old 05-13-21, 04:23 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

The amount of oil that it takes for the dipstick to read from Low to Full is a quart.
So if they said the oil was low by a quart, that would make sense as to why you are getting the Low Engine Oil message.
However, if you checked the dipstick and the reading was closer to the Full mark, than the Low mark, this would be a contradiction of the dealers observation.
Realistically you both can't be right, the oil level was either Low or not.

I'm assuming the dealer is using the following method to check the oil level:

Last edited by Sasnuke; 05-13-21 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-13-21, 06:52 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,893 Likes on 1,966 Posts

If it were me, I'd check the oil weekly/bi-weekly for a while to see if there's a noticeable drop. I would also check it at different times - i.e., when the car has been sitting overnight versus a few minutes after a drive during which the car got to operating temp.
Old 05-13-21, 09:36 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Could be:

Critically low oil
Slight blockage in oil galleries somewhere
Oil pressure sensor (though unlikely if only at start up, but still)
Dilluted oil/low viscosity of oil (does it do this on a fresh oil change?
Obstructed oil filter (does it do it on a new oil filter?)
A damaged/worn oil pump
Excess clearance in one or more of the bearing mains

What are your oil change habits?

I'd change the oil to brand new, including filter, and see if it does it. If so, you've at least ruled out the oil and filter... and you won't need to do an oil change for a while. Not bad for a $25 diagnoses.
Old 05-16-21, 01:18 PM
is350nelly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
Could be:

Critically low oil
Slight blockage in oil galleries somewhere
Oil pressure sensor (though unlikely if only at start up, but still)
Dilluted oil/low viscosity of oil (does it do this on a fresh oil change?
Obstructed oil filter (does it do it on a new oil filter?)
A damaged/worn oil pump
Excess clearance in one or more of the bearing mains

What are your oil change habits?

I'd change the oil to brand new, including filter, and see if it does it. If so, you've at least ruled out the oil and filter... and you won't need to do an oil change for a while. Not bad for a $25 diagnoses.
alright guys I think I fixed the problem. After the dealer added oil that they said was missing I went home and parked for a day. Turned the car on and the issue was still there. Went back to the dealer to schedule another day to have it looked at. As I tried leaving the dealer my battery was DEAD lol. Got jumped and went to replace the battery. Ever since I’ve had the new battery I’ve noticed my car is starting up more crisply and wouldn’t you know the error message hasn’t popped up since then. Hard to say forsure that this was a battery issue the whole time but I guess I’ll be monitoring the oil for some time and see if the issue comes back.

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure warning flash