Back in the IS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-21, 06:01 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts
Default Back in the IS!

Hey everyone,

Just a quick post to let you guys know that I am back into the IS after a two year stint with the 2019 RC. The RC was a great car and loved the style but for those that know me, I get the new car itch every 2 years and besides, while I don't use the back seat, I just find the 4 door a bit more practical. I went with the IS350 F Sport (not the Dynamic model) - I went ultra white exterior with white interior!! OMG that interior is amazing!!! I am sure that most people here have seen enough stock 2021 IS so am not going to bore you with pics however, I will certainly provide a few comments once I have the chance to drive it more.

A few initial comments:

* This car looks FAR better in person than in pics or videos. The lines and shape is night and day different from my 2015 and 2017 (both IS350 F Sport)
* I love the white interior, I know, I already said it but I had to say it again
* I like the 19 inch wheels - They are the same as my RC and loved them a lot so I am gad they put them on the IS - BTW, the finish is not the dark chrome polish but sort of a gun metal painted non shiny finish and I liked them
* I LOVEEEEEEEE the touch screen!!

One thing I dislike so far (I am sure there will be more)

* The electronic e-brake!! With my previous IS's and RC, you could put the car in reverse (or drive) with the door a bit opened when I needed to back into the garage and guide myself on my ramps - Now the car stops and the e-brakes applies itself when I open the door. Thanks to all people being stupid and suing over dumb things and now ruining it for all of us. It's like when I read the label under a beer bottle that says "Open on other end" - Like Gheez people!

Maybe if I am honest, I also dislike the staggered tires - I wish they were the same on all 4 corners but not a huge deal

The following 3 users liked this post by wthrman2:
arentz07 (05-21-21), GNS (05-22-21), Jazzrock (05-21-21)
Old 05-20-21, 08:25 PM
Compromise
Intermediate

Received 415 Likes on 176 Posts

Grats! I'd love to see pics of the interior
Old 05-20-21, 08:34 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Congrats. I thought you were going to wait for the is500? It does look better in person and I think it's the best looking car in the class.
Old 05-21-21, 08:43 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

I love the electronic brake on my 2021 ES. i can't imagine a car without it now. the rock solid stance of the car when you step out is nice. i disabled it once and i got out and i was like...why is my car moving around like a boat. plus you don't have to think about hmm. is this tight enough? is this too tight? am i stretching/breaking something? the car just automatically knows what to do.

Congrats though post pics.
Old 05-21-21, 09:15 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Congrats on the new ride!
White on white...kids around the world are officially banned from entering the vehicle lol!
Old 05-21-21, 11:54 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Compromise
Grats! I'd love to see pics of the interior
Thanks - Here is a pic I took earlier, if you wanna see more shots, let me know and I can add a few more

Originally Posted by EZZ
Congrats. I thought you were going to wait for the is500? It does look better in person and I think it's the best looking car in the class.
I was and still haven't ruled out the IS500 for next spring - I have 2 options I can do, keep the IS350 for the next 2 years and flip it for the IS500 in the spring of 2023 or get the IS500 in the spring of 2022 with the dealer getting me out of my IS350. There are too many unknowns about the IS500 at this point and didn't want to wait till the fall and realize the 500 is not really for me and then have to order myself a new 350 with teh color combo I wanted.

Originally Posted by E46CT
I love the electronic brake on my 2021 ES. i can't imagine a car without it now. the rock solid stance of the car when you step out is nice. i disabled it once and i got out and i was like...why is my car moving around like a boat. plus you don't have to think about hmm. is this tight enough? is this too tight? am i stretching/breaking something? the car just automatically knows what to do.

Congrats though post pics.
I am planning on taking a few photos later today and will upload them so stay tuned - But wait though, are you saying I am able to deactivate the auto feature and then able to not have the car going on auto brake when I need to move my car with the door open? If so, that is a game change - I need to pull my manual out!!

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
White on white...kids around the world are officially banned from entering the vehicle lol!
Thanks buddy!! Listen, you are one of the best contributor and you helped me so much last year with my RC! I have the utmost respect and appreciation for you, my wife says I mentioned your name in my sleep a few times (lol) Trust me, kids are the least on my worries, wet farts are becoming more frequent and unplanned....So kids may be the least of this IS' worries (lol). All seriousness, I have no kids and no one EVER rides with me in my car so it will stay amazingly clean and like the day it rolled off the assembly line. You know I never drive mine in the rain or even wet roads and my RC had 10 000km (6000 miles) when it was sent back. The guy who loaded my car on the car carrier to bring back to the dealer said my old one looked cleaner than the new one!

To all those who posted so far, thanks for the kind words!! It really means a lot
The following 4 users liked this post by wthrman2:
CASeoul (05-21-21), Compromise (05-21-21), Jazzrock (05-21-21), Sasnuke (05-22-21)
Old 05-21-21, 12:25 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Haha I was thinking the same thing. That'd be super PITA to maintain. But just like he said, give it 2 years and will be replaced again
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (05-21-21)
Old 05-21-21, 12:29 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

One thing that seems a bit different is how to remove the bolts on these wheels - I was reading the manual about the guide pin and such, and manuals are hard to follow at times. I was hoping someone had done a youtube but none have been made so far. I wouldn't want to be stranded on teh side of the road at 3am and trying to figure it out for the 1st time. It seems like a lot of headache to save a few pounds (lol)
Old 05-21-21, 01:34 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Are you buying cars every 2 yrs or leasing them?
Old 05-21-21, 02:07 PM
roastpuff
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

It should be similar to the German cars - you can push the wheel onto a lip on the hub, line up the holes and then use a lug bolt to hold the wheel in by screwing it in by hand.

The guide pin is a nice to have but not strictly necessary if you're used to rotating the wheel to line up the holes. You can get an aftermarket metal guide pin (vs. the resin one) so that it's more robust.
Old 05-21-21, 02:22 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dojoman
Are you buying cars every 2 yrs or leasing them?
I actually do a 4 year lease but 2 years in, I then flip into the new one....I have a great relationship with my dealer and I keep my cars in "beyond pristine" condition and extremely low mileage so they buy the car and then put on their "used car" lot knowing they have an exceptional car on their hand.

Originally Posted by roastpuff
It should be similar to the German cars - you can push the wheel onto a lip on the hub, line up the holes and then use a lug bolt to hold the wheel in by screwing it in by hand.

The guide pin is a nice to have but not strictly necessary if you're used to rotating the wheel to line up the holes. You can get an aftermarket metal guide pin (vs. the resin one) so that it's more robust.
Thanks - I think I know what you mean but I am visual, once I see how its done once, I would be fine and I will make sure to find a way to get a demo before I actually need it (lol)
Old 05-21-21, 04:29 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

The following 4 users liked this post by wthrman2:
Ellingtoni (05-23-21), GNS (05-22-21), Jazzrock (05-21-21), Sasnuke (05-22-21)
Old 05-21-21, 04:41 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 162 Posts

Can you post pictures of the front, back and interior? Thanks!
Old 05-21-21, 05:04 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

I have a pic of the interior further up in the thread, I didn't take the best pics but will do more soon and load up for sure but here is what I have so far - If you need more angles, let me know and I can do a few more. To be honest, the car looks SOOOOO much better in person because there are angles and shapes that can't be appreciated in pics.

Jazzrock (05-23-21)
Old 05-21-21, 05:18 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,909 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Ugh, wheel bolts are not fun if you have a flat... Ask me how I know! On the GTI I had some bad luck, I'll just leave it at that. Now both my wife's and mine have wheel bolts instead of nuts.

Congrats. White on white is such a nice combo. And I agree on switching back to IS - if you're in an RC, it'd be for style points only since the IS is just a more practical vehicle. The RC is nice to look at, but so is this IS you got.
wthrman2 (05-21-21)

Quick Reply: Back in the IS!