IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Headlight issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-21, 11:15 PM
dakest
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlight issues

Hello everyone! please don't flame me for what I'm about to ask, I have searched this forum for thee days for info on this.
I have a 2014 IS 250 AWD base model with the LED headlights which I have replace the module on the right side but I rather covert to HID by replacing to the standard HID headlight assembly.
My question is, are the plugs compatible or is there any modification to it?
I had a BMW 530i with HID and it was way brighter than the LEDs in my IS, In fact my LED are kind of dim plus the driver's side gets water when it rains.
If someone has done this or have any info that can help, I would be forever grateful.
Old 06-20-21, 08:48 PM
dakest
Pit Crew

Really? no one?
Old 06-20-21, 08:51 PM
ex00
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I think to answer your question, it might be possible. Should be the same plugs, maybe an additional harness but you will I think need to get the modules for each side? I think people have done HID > LED conversions for housings and it should be the same just reversed. There should be several posts that outlines all of this.
Old 06-20-21, 09:00 PM
dakest
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ex00
I think to answer your question, it might be possible. Should be the same plugs, maybe an additional harness but you will I think need to get the modules for each side? I think people have done HID > LED conversions for housings and it should be the same just reversed. There should be several posts that outlines all of this.
I have searched but cannot find much info.
I can get the headlight housing and the ballast, I just need to know if the plugs need to be modified or are the same.
Old 06-21-21, 07:06 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

The headlight connections for 2014-2016 are the same for LED and HID.
The difference is the number of wires...the LED connectors have a couple additional wires.
So technically if you got two complete HID headlights they would bolt and plug right in.
What I'm not sure is if the Main Body ECU would throw any codes because it's a difference headlight system installed.
And of course you'd need to cut the extra wires.

If you want to try and install two complete HID headlights I can indicate which extra wires to terminate...it really just comes down to the Body ECU and what it will do.
Worse case...it throws a "Check Headlight" message on the dash...best case, it does nothing.
Old 06-21-21, 02:45 PM
dakest
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The headlight connections for 2014-2016 are the same for LED and HID.
The difference is the number of wires...the LED connectors have a couple additional wires.
So technically if you got two complete HID headlights they would bolt and plug right in.
What I'm not sure is if the Main Body ECU would throw any codes because it's a difference headlight system installed.
And of course you'd need to cut the extra wires.

If you want to try and install two complete HID headlights I can indicate which extra wires to terminate...it really just comes down to the Body ECU and what it will do.
Worse case...it throws a "Check Headlight" message on the dash...best case, it does nothing.
You always have the answer to everything! really appreciate your response!
I already have a check headlight message, my Carista says it's a bad led module.
I have compared the output with other led cars and hid cars and mine suck in comparison, the light output on the road looks like halogens