IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS battery mount alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-21, 09:07 AM
AquaMayne
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 3IS battery mount alternatives?

Hello all!! I have a 2016 IS 300 base model, and when i installed a new battery the little arm that you cant adjust isnt snug against the battery. Has anyone bought an alternative battery tray/ hold down arms? If i ordered just a basic replacement would that work? If anyone has a link for new ones that will work please let me know, thankyou!!
Old 06-20-21, 10:35 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Did you reinstall the new battery with that little plastic shell that Lexus put over the OEM battery? The bracket wouldn't fit over my new battery with that in place so I just removed it and it worked fine.

***edit: nevermind, I see you meant it doesn't fit snug. Mine fit too tight with that in place. Did you reuse it?

Last edited by Tungstn-IS; 06-20-21 at 10:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AquaMayne (06-20-21)
Old 06-20-21, 10:40 AM
AquaMayne
Driver

Yes i did. It doesn't fit perfectly thougb as the new battery is slightly bigger. I can remove the case then? I was worried because it has those little tabs on it where the battery cables clip on.
Old 06-20-21, 02:04 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

--

I just got a new battery and had a hard time with the tab on the side of the cover frame. I should think not using them at all shouldn't be a problem as they are just to keep the cables from flapping around. Mine was different from those pictured on line as the single one was down below the positive terminal with metal components that someone prior had bent.

--

AquaMayne (06-20-21)
Old 06-20-21, 03:34 PM
AquaMayne
Driver

I had a hard time with those clips too, they were a pain to detach! I was wondering as well because that metal tab, i thought maybe was a ground of some sorts. So you didnt re-use the original case with tgose tabs on it?
Old 06-20-21, 04:01 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Originally Posted by AquaMayne
I had a hard time with those clips too, they were a pain to detach! I was wondering as well because that metal tab, i thought maybe was a ground of some sorts. So you didnt re-use the original case with tgose tabs on it?
--

My tab was attached to the plastic case which isn't grounded to anything. Besides, it's on the outside of the insulated positive wire so you wouldn't want to ground that to anything. Maybe the plastic cage is there to create an air space or contact with the sides protection? Not sure it really has any purpose.

--

Last edited by ronkelley; 06-20-21 at 04:05 PM.
AquaMayne (06-20-21)
Old 06-20-21, 06:22 PM
jcruik
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ronkelley
--

My tab was attached to the plastic case which isn't grounded to anything. Besides, it's on the outside of the insulated positive wire so you wouldn't want to ground that to anything. Maybe the plastic cage is there to create an air space or contact with the sides protection? Not sure it really has any purpose.

--
Most vehicles with under hood batteries are now supplied with plastic cases as a heat shield. Given how heat saturated the engine compartment is, I'm not sure if they're really that effective. Many owners remove them, and don't report any negative issues, but it probably doesn't hurt anything to leave it intact.
AquaMayne (06-20-21)
Old 06-20-21, 06:54 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcruik
Most vehicles with under hood batteries are now supplied with plastic cases as a heat shield. Given how heat saturated the engine compartment is, I'm not sure if they're really that effective. Many owners remove them, and don't report any negative issues, but it probably doesn't hurt anything to leave it intact.
--

This plastic case is not a heat shield. It's more like a cage which could let air circulate around it which probably would just as well if it weren't there.

--
The following 2 users liked this post by ronkelley:
AquaMayne (06-20-21), Jazzrock (06-20-21)
Old 06-20-21, 07:05 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 158 Posts

When AAA came to my house last year to replace my battery, he had a heck of a time as well getting the tabs and cover off and back on.
AquaMayne (06-20-21)
Old 06-20-21, 07:22 PM
AquaMayne
Driver

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just want to follow up. Does anyone have a fix for the hold down arms not fitting snug enough to hold the battery down in place? The one arm i can tighten, but the other arm just kinda latches together to the top hold down bar rather pathetically, and if you dont get the exact same battery the arms and top hold down bar dont stay in place. Can I buy a generic type of hold down arm, and use them?
Old 06-20-21, 07:26 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

--

You can bend the arm, shim up the arm off the battery, or raise the base of the battery with a spacer that all battery places get with their batteries and just throw away.

--
AquaMayne (06-20-21)
Old 06-20-21, 07:28 PM
AquaMayne
Driver

--

--
Thanks for this! Im probably going to remove it then when i get bored. I had to kinda force it onto the new battery because i thought those tabs on the plastic cover were needed to be hooked onto by the battery cable. Did you have issues with the arms and top hold down bar? Mine wouldnt snug up to the battery so the arm that just kindof latches and cant be tightened isnt holding the battery down at all. I have a couple zip ties keeping the front arm and top hold down bar in place for now haha
Old 06-20-21, 07:30 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

--

You need to go back and catch up on replies!!

--
AquaMayne (06-20-21)
Old 06-20-21, 07:33 PM
AquaMayne
Driver

--

You can bend the arm, shim up the arm off the battery, or raise the base of the battery with a spacer that all battery places get with their batteries and just throw away.

--
This!! THANKYOU!! i didnt think of making a spacer for it, thats brilliant!! Hey, so the original plastic battery cover sleeve that came with the car, can i get rid of it? It has tabs on it where the battery cable snaps into place on the little sleeve. Do i have to reconnect the cable to the side of the battery sleeve tabs?
Old 06-20-21, 07:34 PM
AquaMayne
Driver

--

You need to go back and catch up on replies!!

--
sorry about that, i missed it!! Im bad at using this clublexus website sorry! Thankyou so much for your help!!

Quick Reply: 3IS battery mount alternatives?