Left-side external mirror enlarges the view too much

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-21, 06:43 AM
Adrianww
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Left-side external mirror enlarges the view too much

Hey Everyone!

I've recently purchased a 3rd gen Lexus IS 300 AWD (build in 2017) from Canada and imported it into Europe - amazing car!

One of the 1st things I noticed is that the left-side external mirror enlarges the view far too much than I expected. I'm coming from a 2nd gen Lexus IS 250, drove a family member's RX450hL, and drove lots of other cars but the view from this mirror compared to the other mirrors in the car makes me feel like I'm in 2 places at the same time while driving. As you can imagine this is a bit trippy while parking the car, taking over on the highway, or just maneuvering around.

Recently I booked a service visit with my local Lexus dealer and ordered a new left side mirror thinking that the one on the car itself is probably swapped with non-OEM unit before I got the car in Europe. The new mirror came, I left the car at the dealer and they called me 30 mins later and told me that the new mirror is the same as the old one - the same unit number (#569692), still manufactured in Japan, etc. Pretty much the same thing. The guys at the dealer were convinced I'm just overthinking it, but then we sat in another car and compared it, and now I got them on board. The dealer's boss came who owns GS-F from the same generation, also imported from North America, we sat in it and his mirror is normal, he sat in my car and said he notices the difference.

So, here's the problem: The dealer has only 1 kind of mirror in their system that matches my VIN. Does somebody know whether there is any kind of a difference between the Canadian/North American left-side mirror compared to the European ones in terms of model number/serial number or something else? Did anyone had a similar issue with this and how did you solve it?

My next suggestion would be to ask the dealer to find a European car's VIN and order a new mirror that matches that European VIN hoping that it would be a normal mirror. As the car is no longer in showrooms because of the new model we can't really see other IS300s at the dealer for comparison.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-21, 09:58 AM
Voronmetro
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You think correctly, you need a еuropean mirror without rear cross traffic alert. It has a stripe on the outside.
Old 07-02-21, 04:46 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

Old 07-05-21, 06:01 AM
Adrianww
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voronmetro
You think correctly, you need a еuropean mirror without rear cross traffic alert. It has a stripe on the outside.
Yeah, my left-side mirror doesn't have that stripe, while the right one has it.

Any idea what would be the part number or something that would help me point this out to the local dealer? The ones in Bulgaria are pretty clueless about almost everything...
Old 07-05-21, 07:06 AM
Voronmetro
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try this part number 87961-33B50