IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Adding ventilation to heated seats?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-23, 04:37 AM
wongnee
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cksean86
hi wongnee, I’m sean from Malaysia I saw your post , do you mind to share how you upgrade to vantilated seat? As I owned 3is f-sport Japan spec but only have heated seat..🥲.
Sorry that I have not login to this forum for a while, what I did was:
swapped the seats, the console plate and some simple wiring.
it's not really complicated tasks to do, most important is that you get the right parts.
all those parts I got were used parts in good condition.
Old 12-21-23, 04:40 AM
wongnee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by malignancy
I am about to take on this upgrade as well. Wongnee, I was hoping you could answer a few questions for me: aside from a seat(s) with the ventilated seats fans installed and the fan/heat control switches, what else do I need?

Any additional wire harness?
Can I modify the existing center console trim to accommodate the switch assembly or do I need one that already as the space cut out from the factory?

any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
you can do that but I think the original console plate with holes opened for those switches is better.
by the way, you may also add the heated steering wheel option if you want.
Old 12-21-23, 04:43 AM
wongnee
Intermediate

Well Wongnee wasn’t around to help but I tackled this project myself and was determined to make it work.

After taking to several Lexus dealer part center managers who all told me that I’d need a complete wire harness $3500-$7400, new seats $4-$6000, new center console and switch, approximately $700 and $450, respectively plus a “module” (unspecified $), I decided to tear my front console apart and see for myself, what lies below. I had already sourced seats, center console, and the switch but the wiring was sounding like a VERY expensive and labor intensive part of the project.

To my surprise and joy (not even kidding) the parts guys were wrong as there was a little pigtail harness taped to another harness under the console. This is the connector for the heat/ventilated control switch!

If you’re interested in tackling this job, just verify that you have the pigtail (photo) before you start. If you do, (and it’s very likely) this job is not that hard or expensive.

I sourced all the parts used.
Front and rear seats $600
Switch $65
console $90

Be careful when sourcing the center console and switch as our cars have 2 different finishes. One is glossy and the other is matte/charcoal. I had to buy two…🤦🏼‍♂️
The photo is of the part number for the glossy finish.

Overall, I’m pleased with the way it turned out (will install the passenger and rear seats this weekend along with the correct finish center console (🤞&#127996. I will admit that I’m a little disappointed in the ventilated feature as it’s very weak. My sisters 2019 RX350’s ventilated seats worked so well that they actually made me cold, something hard to do in the summer months.

Anyway, good luck!

yes, that's BS, the plug is pre-installed so you only need two seats and a switch console (and a new OEM plate with a hole opened if you want to look more original...)
Old 12-21-23, 04:47 AM
wongnee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GeorgeR
Do I have to get the heated + vented seats button like this one?
or will the one with the heated steering wheel option work as well?

This is the heated seats + vented seats:
heated steering wheel will also work if you get a steering wheel embedded with that feature.
Old 12-21-23, 05:41 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by wongnee
Sorry that I have not login to this forum for a while, what I did was:
swapped the seats, the console plate and some simple wiring.
it's not really complicated tasks to do, most important is that you get the right parts.
all those parts I got were used parts in good condition.
What wiring did you have to do?
Old 12-21-23, 06:18 AM
malignancy
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

that’s what I’m wondering and was the biggest blockade from me starting this process. The dealer said I needed a whole new factory wire harness ($3-$7,000 usd). You don’t need any wiring. Just pull up your center console and look for that wire harness pigtail, taped to the main harness as I depicted above. If you have it, and you almost certainly do, it’s seriously just plug ‘N play. Everyone wants to over complicating this but I’m here to tell you it easy. You just need the seats and the switch, technically. but aesthetically you need the correct center console, too. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Wanitive (01-11-24)
Old 12-21-23, 06:30 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

that’s what I’m wondering and was the biggest blockade from me starting this process. The dealer said I needed a whole new factory wire harness ($3-$7,000 usd). You don’t need any wiring. Just pull up your center console and look for that wire harness pigtail, taped to the main harness as I depicted above. If you have it, and you almost certainly do, it’s seriously just plug ‘N play. Everyone wants to over complicating this but I’m here to tell you it easy. You just need the seats and the switch, technically. but aesthetically you need the correct center console, too. Hope this helps.
I was going to ask, the harness you used was tucked away since you had none of those features to begin with, but for those that have heated seats (like my car) and want to add ventilated, we should be using the same harness again, right?
Old 12-21-23, 07:18 AM
malignancy
Rookie

I was going to ask, the harness you used was tucked away since you had none of those features to begin with, but for those that have heated seats (like my car) and want to add ventilated, we should be using the same harness again, right?
Correct. My car is about the most base model you can get. However, mine *stil*l had the pigtail harness as specified above. So literally, all you need is the heated seat/ventilated seat combination control switch. All you do is remove the center console, unplug the wire harness, squeeze a couple of tabs on the control switch to remove it from the center console, slide the new switch into the center console, plug it in, and reinstall the center console. Done.
Swapping out the switch took all of 30 mins.

You will of course have to have factory ventilated seats for it to work.
Old 12-21-23, 07:51 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Correct. My car is about the most base model you can get. However, mine *stil*l had the pigtail harness as specified above. So literally, all you need is the heated seat/ventilated seat combination control switch. All you do is remove the center console, unplug the wire harness, squeeze a couple of tabs on the control switch to remove it from the center console, slide the new switch into the center console, plug it in, and reinstall the center console. Done.
Swapping out the switch took all of 30 mins.

You will of course have to have factory ventilated seats for it to work.
I totally believe you!
I just got the vented seats installed (well one side at least, gotta sort out the wiring for the driver side, not related to this)

Even wongnee said earlier :
yes, that's BS, the plug is pre-installed so you only need two seats and a switch console (and a new OEM plate with a hole opened if you want to look more original...)

So he's contradicting himself there (he had to wire yet it was prewired??)

I'll post back once I receive the switch to confirm that it does indeed work on my car.
Now I'm wondering if the heated steering wheel is actually prewired or not... lots of misleading info these days!
Old 12-21-23, 08:45 AM
malignancy
Rookie

I totally believe you!
I just got the vented seats installed (well one side at least, gotta sort out the wiring for the driver side, not related to this)

Even wongnee said earlier :

So he's contradicting himself there (he had to wire yet it was prewired??)

I'll post back once I receive the switch to confirm that it does indeed work on my car.
Now I'm wondering if the heated steering wheel is actually prewired or not... lots of misleading info these days!
Correct, he contradicted himself. It may be a language, barrier, however, and was unintentional.

Can’t answer your question about the steering wheel but I’d be willing to bet $1000 that all you would need is a factory heated sterring wheel plus the heated steering wheel on/off switch (which sounds like you already have.) 🙂

In retrospect, I wish I had just gotten the heated steering wheel control switch as well. My steering wheel is kind of scuffed up, and I’ve been thinking about replacing it, anyhow. Oh well. It doesn’t get THAT cold in Texas. 😆
Old 12-21-23, 12:46 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Correct, he contradicted himself. It may be a language, barrier, however, and was unintentional.

Can’t answer your question about the steering wheel but I’d be willing to bet $1000 that all you would need is a factory heated sterring wheel plus the heated steering wheel on/off switch (which sounds like you already have.) 🙂

In retrospect, I wish I had just gotten the heated steering wheel control switch as well. My steering wheel is kind of scuffed up, and I’ve been thinking about replacing it, anyhow. Oh well. It doesn’t get THAT cold in Texas. 😆
Ah ok, if it's a language barrier that would make more sense.

I didn't opt for the heating steering wheel one... I was afraid it wasn't going to work.
If/when I find a mint heated wheel, I'll just get another button and sell this one.

In Quebec, a heated steering wheel is a must haha!
Old 01-01-24, 07:41 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Update:
The heated function in the F sports seats will not turn on if you're using this switch:
Old 01-01-24, 08:33 PM
malignancy
Rookie

Update:
The heated function in the F sports seats will not turn on if you're using this switch:
Correct. That should operate the cooling feature alone.
Old 01-01-24, 09:21 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Correct. That should operate the cooling feature alone.
Oh yeah?
That I didn't check, my driver seat warms up (because the base one is still in there, but the passenger seat doesn't).

Current set up until I figure out the wiring for the memory seat.

Old 01-04-24, 07:21 AM
wongnee
Intermediate

Nothing to do if you get seats from the same country. I had to do it because I got two RHD seats and installed them on my LHD car.

Since the Japanese driver seat is on the right hand side, now I got a full-featured seat on the passenger side and I had to add the back support adjustment on the driver seat, yes now I have full adjustments on both driver and passenger seats. 😂

Last edited by wongnee; 01-04-24 at 07:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lex_Giorgio (01-04-24)

Quick Reply: Adding ventilation to heated seats?