IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

my speakers for the entire car wasn't working so i went to the lexus dealer and....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-21, 09:13 PM
HeatRun
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my speakers for the entire car wasn't working so i went to the lexus dealer and....

the radio would start playing ocasionally and turn on for maybe a few minutes then shuts off again. I took it to lexus and they said that the radio was "shocked" apparently and it would cost around 3 grand to get at least a used one and a new one would be like 8 grand like wtf bro. so i looked for "used is250 2014 radio" and i'm confused as what i'm supposed to get basically. the image attached is what i looked up and i'm wondering is that all I'm supposed to install if i end up buying a used one? just making sure i don't buy the wrong thing. if anything, if there's anybody had a similar problem and has fixed it without having to buy a new one. let me know what you did. because i literally have no idea how all this radio stuff works

Old 07-17-21, 10:53 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

yeah this is the radio
Old 07-19-21, 09:23 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

While there has been some issues with 2014 radios, i don't think we had someone reporting that the radio itself shuts on and off.
If it is doing that, then a replacement radio would be the next step.

The radio has a Faceplate ID at the bottom left corner that starts with the letter "P".
Ideally you want a radio with the same Faceplate ID number.

The pic you posted is of a Non-Navigation radio, so I'm assuming you don't have navigation.

If you are having a volume issue only where you loose all volume, either intermittently or permanently, it could be an Amp issue.
Old 07-19-21, 09:39 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

8 grand to replace a radio?!?! That seems insane!
Old 07-19-21, 01:28 PM
lisaj14
Driver School Candidate

Received 54 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Radio just stopped playing in the last week

Originally Posted by HeatRun
the radio would start playing ocasionally and turn on for maybe a few minutes then shuts off again. I took it to lexus and they said that the radio was "shocked" apparently and it would cost around 3 grand to get at least a used one and a new one would be like 8 grand like wtf bro. so i looked for "used is250 2014 radio" and i'm confused as what i'm supposed to get basically. the image attached is what i looked up and i'm wondering is that all I'm supposed to install if i end up buying a used one? just making sure i don't buy the wrong thing. if anything, if there's anybody had a similar problem and has fixed it without having to buy a new one. let me know what you did. because i literally have no idea how all this radio stuff works
car is in the shop right now with the same issue. So what did they say specifically when they did the diagnostic test? It was intermittently going in and out of car play mode then just stopped working altogether
Old 07-19-21, 03:27 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lisaj14
car is in the shop right now with the same issue. So what did they say specifically when they did the diagnostic test? It was intermittently going in and out of car play mode then just stopped working altogether
2015 IS didn't come with CarPlay...so I'm guessing you have an aftermarket Android screen unit?
Old 07-20-21, 06:25 AM
lisaj14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
2015 IS didn't come with CarPlay...so I'm guessing you have an aftermarket Android screen unit?
no aftermarket product. It’s the original equipment. Sorry just called it CarPlay since that’s what everyone calls it now. It was playing through Bluetooth and was intermittently going in and out so I switched to radio and now it’s out altogether.
Old 07-20-21, 06:43 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

no aftermarket product. It’s the original equipment. Sorry just called it CarPlay since that’s what everyone calls it now. It was playing through Bluetooth and was intermittently going in and out so I switched to radio and now it’s out altogether.
Thanks for clarifying.

I think one thing that I'm still unsure of is the issue being described where the sound is cutting in and out, or is the radio actually turning off and on again.
The OP posts suggests the radio is turning off and on again, which I haven't seen anyone post about before.
Don't get me wrong, the 2014 radios have issues from constantly rebooting, to blank screens, etc., but no one has mentioned them actually turning off and back on again.
I guess another question is what does turning off and on look like...i mean when my radio is off, my display is fully functional and so are all my HVAC controls...I just have no music coming out the speakers.
I could simulate the same thing by having the radio on and turning the volume to 0.

I'm not sure what your specific turning off and on looks like...maybe it's the same as the OP, maybe it's different.

I only ask about the volume, and if there is no sound, because that is a common issue where the radio is on, but all sound is lost...not just the music but all the systems sounds like when you move the cursor or select an item on the display.
That issue is always the Amp.
Old 07-21-21, 07:40 AM
lisaj14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Thanks for clarifying.

I think one thing that I'm still unsure of is the issue being described where the sound is cutting in and out, or is the radio actually turning off and on again.
The OP posts suggests the radio is turning off and on again, which I haven't seen anyone post about before.
Don't get me wrong, the 2014 radios have issues from constantly rebooting, to blank screens, etc., but no one has mentioned them actually turning off and back on again.
I guess another question is what does turning off and on look like...i mean when my radio is off, my display is fully functional and so are all my HVAC controls...I just have no music coming out the speakers.
I could simulate the same thing by having the radio on and turning the volume to 0.

I'm not sure what your specific turning off and on looks like...maybe it's the same as the OP, maybe it's different.

I only ask about the volume, and if there is no sound, because that is a common issue where the radio is on, but all sound is lost...not just the music but all the systems sounds like when you move the cursor or select an item on the display.
That issue is always the Amp.
thanks for asking. I should have clarified. The display was fine and seemed like Nav system completely operational. Just no sound coming from the radio or Bluetooth connection. The backup alarm still alerted but no other sounds would come through audio system. Technician found the issue in a loose connection in an area of the car not accessible by me. Not due to wear and tear. Had to trace it down, reconnect it so there’s a labor charge for it. Certified extended warranty won’t cover it but dealership isn’t charging me since it should be a warranty issue but just hasn’t had enough issues to warrant a bulletin. They are eating the $340 charge for it. They’ve had 10-15 other cars in for same issue at the dealership.
Old 07-21-21, 08:27 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for asking. I should have clarified. The display was fine and seemed like Nav system completely operational. Just no sound coming from the radio or Bluetooth connection. The backup alarm still alerted but no other sounds would come through audio system. Technician found the issue in a loose connection in an area of the car not accessible by me. Not due to wear and tear. Had to trace it down, reconnect it so there’s a labor charge for it. Certified extended warranty won’t cover it but dealership isn’t charging me since it should be a warranty issue but just hasn’t had enough issues to warrant a bulletin. They are eating the $340 charge for it. They’ve had 10-15 other cars in for same issue at the dealership.
I wonder what the loose connection was and where it is. This is the first we've heard of a loose connection causing the issue. In theory if there is a break in the connection between the radio audio wires and the Amp, it will result in no sound.
The issue of no sound is usually the Amp...as I can attest to personally. Luckily I was able to DIY fix the Amp, but not everyone is so lucky. Replacing the Amp fixes the issue in that case.
If you are able to find out any additional information about the loose connector, please post back.
There is a No Sound sticky thread on here that I can update with this new information.

I'm a little leery of their loose connection explanation...with connectors they are either clipped together or not...if there was a connector not connected properly, and was inaccessible by yourself, then how did it become loose...considering the vehicle is over 6 years old...you'd think the issue would have presented itself a long time ago.
With the Amp failures of no sound it is due to corrosion on the boards inside the Amp...so that explains why it takes so long for the issue to present itself...it takes time for the corrosion to eat away at the components that lead to the no sound failure.
Just a little while ago, maybe a couple months, there was an increase in no sound threads being posted as Amps seemed to be failing weekly.
Old 09-25-21, 08:08 PM
HeatRun
8th Gear

hello sorry for super late response, I'm never own lexus club forms at all. but what I meant was that there would be no sound coming from the audio system regardless, i'm pretty sure the speakers work fine and everything. It's the radio that has problems presenting power at all. what i meant by the radio would go on and off, the audio for the car would work for a few seconds but then cut out. but it doesn't do that anymore. it's completely just dead. like somebody else said, there must be a loose connection but idk. it could just be an amp problem and i'll need to get a new radio system. i posted the radio only because they are both separate. I already have a navigation system and it works perfectly fine.
Old 09-25-21, 08:09 PM
HeatRun
8th Gear

hello sorry for super late response, I'm never own lexus club forms at all. but what I meant was that there would be no sound coming from the audio system regardless, i'm pretty sure the speakers work fine and everything. It's the radio that has problems presenting power at all. what i meant by the radio would go on and off, the audio for the car would work for a few seconds but then cut out. but it doesn't do that anymore. it's completely just dead. like somebody else said, there must be a loose connection but idk. it could just be an amp problem and i'll need to get a new radio system. i posted the radio only because they are both separate. I already have a navigation system and it works perfectly fine.
Old 09-25-21, 08:11 PM
HeatRun
8th Gear

what was the loose connection exactly? Is your sound system working completely fine now?
Old 09-26-21, 06:42 AM
lisaj14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HeatRun
what was the loose connection exactly? Is your sound system working completely fine now?
they didn’t tell me exactly where but it was in an area I could not have gotten to. Seems weird that the connection came loose. Maybe it was not properly connected in production. Been working great ever sense. No issues