Old 07-27-21, 08:19 AM
TxasLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default F sport gauges in base model Is250 swap

Thanks to the Lexus forum, and UndergroundLex

Parking brake was on

Was within 1500 miles of my cluster.
I was able to swap the f sport gauges from another Lexus, to my base model. No warning lights. Everything works as it should. Found a cluster for 450 shipped...

Last edited by TxasLexus; 07-27-21 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Sorry, posted in wrong forum.
The following 3 users liked this post by TxasLexus:
NYIS300awdFS (06-24-24), Rickna (07-27-21), swaangin (07-27-21)
Old 07-27-21, 10:14 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

nice, where did you get your cluster from? I'm pretty sure you have to make sure you get the one that's compatible with what you have in your car such as lane keep assist, navigation, etc
The following users liked this post:
Danis250268 (11-06-23)
Old 07-27-21, 10:17 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 287 Likes on 194 Posts

I did this swap as well, absolutely love it!

I learned a lot on what to look for during my process with this. I will say either you got very lucky with a match on the cluster or you did your research and knew what exactly to look for to not get any warning lights.

For anyone else reading this, I'd like to share what I learned:

What can and will cause warning lights is any additional features the F-Sport had on it that your car doesn't. The warnings you might get are VGRS, LDA, DRS, and PCS.

The best way I have found to be sure to get a cluster that does not have any features that your car may not have to avoid any warning lights, do the following:
  1. When shopping for a F-Sport cluster, find one that provides, or message the seller, for the Vin # of the donor vehicle it came from
  2. Look for one for the same year as your current vehicle
  3. Go to drivers.lexus.com, sign in, or create an account. Then go to manage garage and enter that vin and add it to your garage. Next click manage this vehicle -> vehicle specification -> download full spec's
  4. That will give you the full spec list of the vehicle it came from
  5. Also download the spec sheet for your car and compare them
  6. Check to make sure that it does not have any of the following if your car doesn't also have it: VGRS, LDA, DRS, and PCS.
  7. Once you find one, you win!

If you make sure the specs match and it's from the same year, it's a simple direct swap with no lights and so very easy to install in 10 minutes.

Then all you need to do is get the mileage reprogrammed. Depending on where you live, there might be a local shop who can (a dealership will not!), just google " odometer correction service near [your zip code] "

If no locals are available, then there is mail in services, I used this one: http://tvandnav2go.com/home/27-odome...n-service.html

Last edited by whoismiked; 07-27-21 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-27-21, 10:52 AM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by whoismiked
I did this swap as well, absolutely love it!

I learned a lot on what to look for during my process with this. I will say either you got very lucky with a match on the cluster or you did your research and knew what exactly to look for to not get any warning lights.

For anyone else reading this, I'd like to share what I learned:

What can and will cause warning lights is any additional features the F-Sport had on it that your car doesn't. The warnings you might get are VGRS, LDA, DRS, and PCS.

The best way I have found to be sure to get a cluster that does not have any features that your car may not have to avoid any warning lights, do the following:
  1. When shopping for a F-Sport cluster, find one that provides, or message the seller, for the Vin # of the donor vehicle it came from
  2. Look for one for the same year as your current vehicle
  3. Go to drivers.lexus.com, sign in, or create an account. Then go to manage garage and enter that vin and add it to your garage. Next click manage this vehicle -> vehicle specification -> download full spec's
  4. That will give you the full spec list of the vehicle it came from
  5. Also download the spec sheet for your car and compare them
  6. Check to make sure that it does not have any of the following if your car doesn't also have it: VGRS, LDA, DRS, and PCS.
  7. Once you find one, you win!

If you make sure the specs match and it's from the same year, it's a simple direct swap with no lights and so very easy to install in 10 minutes.

Then all you need to do is get the mileage reprogrammed. Depending on where you live, there might be a local shop who can (a dealership will not!), just google " odometer correction service near [your zip code] "

If no locals are available, then there is mail in services, I used this one: http://tvandnav2go.com/home/27-odome...n-service.html
Best place to buy an F sport gauge cluster? What price should I be expecting to pay?
Old 07-27-21, 10:54 AM
TxasLexus
Driver School Candidate

I found it on car-part.com. Looked for one for a pretty good while that wasn't sky-high in price. And yes, it is the same year with same options. Took me about 15 minutes and I've never taken the cluster out before.
Old 07-27-21, 11:08 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by swaangin
Best place to buy an F sport gauge cluster? What price should I be expecting to pay?
Ebay is where most of them are sold.
I got mine from a place that buys salvaged cars and parts them out: https://www.benzeenautoparts.com/
Car-part.com is another place you can look, as that place you can search salvage yards for parts. This is likely a way cheaper option if you can find one this way.

As far as price, well, they are much more expensive nowadays as compared to some years ago, supply and demand I guess. It's not cheap, and I think the ebay sellers know what these can fetch nowadays and have raised prices accordingly.

I got mine for $550, but I've seen them sell for as high as $800.

Is it worth it? That's completely subjective and up to the person if they are willing to spend that. To me, it was worth it as I just love to modify cars, especially mods that add additional functions or quality of life features inside the cabin that I will see and use every time I'm in the car. I look at the cluster every minute I'm in the car, so a beautiful upgrade to it was one of my most favorite mods I've done, next the the android headunit.
Old 07-27-21, 11:14 AM
TxasLexus
Driver School Candidate

I did my research and took my time. It wasn't a need but more of a want so I wasnt rushed. Worked out for me this time...
Old 07-27-21, 11:16 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by TxasLexus
I did my research and took my time. It wasn't a need but more of a want so I wasnt rushed. Worked out for me this time...
Nicely done! Looks great and I love mine as well!

Do you mind sharing where you purchased and what you paid for the cluster?
Old 07-27-21, 11:28 AM
TxasLexus
Driver School Candidate

I found it on car-part.com. Looked for one for a pretty good while that wasn't sky-high in price. I paid 450 for mine.
whoismiked (07-27-21)
Old 07-27-21, 11:33 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by TxasLexus
I found it on car-part.com. Looked for one for a pretty good while that wasn't sky-high in price. I paid 450 for mine.
Nice! That's a good deal in today's market. Not being in a hurry and keeping an keeping an eye out is the best way to find the best deal
They are becoming harder and harder to find for a good price nowadays though
CASeoul (07-27-21)
Old 07-27-21, 12:34 PM
swaangin
Racer

When you guys input your year make model, do you also do other years such as 2014-2020? Or just stick to the year you have?
Old 07-27-21, 12:36 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

When you guys input your year make model, do you also do other years such as 2014-2020? Or just stick to the year you have?
Stick to the year you have, while other year models look identical and the connectors are the same, some of the pins on the connectors in different spots on different years.
The following 2 users liked this post by whoismiked:
swaangin (07-27-21), TxasLexus (07-27-21)
Old 07-27-21, 01:14 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by whoismiked
Stick to the year you have, while other year models look identical and the connectors are the same, some of the pins on the connectors in different spots on different years.
How much do gauge cluster services cost? I found someone off Craigslist who offered $150. Will there be any issues or anything I should look out for when using these kinds of services?
Old 07-27-21, 02:39 PM
CASeoul
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

How much do gauge cluster services cost? I found someone off Craigslist who offered $150. Will there be any issues or anything I should look out for when using these kinds of services?
Dunno what it entails specifically, I was lucky enough to get mine off a guy on ebay who reprogrammed it so it would match my cars odo as well as matching the features so no errors would come up.

I would make sure this person can actually adjust the odo as well as the settings if you're going to pay for it.
Old 07-27-21, 02:45 PM
swaangin
Racer

Does it matter if it's coming from a RWD IS? Mine is AWD @whoismiked
Reason I ask cus 250 RWD has 8 speeds versus AWD with 6? Would the computer adapt or would there be an issue?

Last edited by swaangin; 07-27-21 at 02:50 PM.
whoismiked (07-27-21)

Quick Reply: F sport gauges in base model Is250 swap