Ticking/rattling behind dash in new IS

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-21, 03:51 PM
TGPCanada
Advanced

Received 841 Likes on 350 Posts
Default Ticking/rattling behind dash in new IS

Hello All,
I've been driving a 2021 IS350 AWD for over 3 months now and there is a consistent ticking / rattling type sound coming from somewhere behind the instrument gauge/dash on driver's side. It is so subtle - you have to have all windows rolled up, no music on, no one talking in the car, and drive around 30-50 km/hr to hear it . So hard to pin point where exactly it is coming from . Could even be the speaker on the top left corner of dash. Who knows. Not really annoying at this point, but sort of gets to you given the car is new . Lexus says just to wait it out and see if it gets any worse over time . "Do you really want us to pull the dash apart to find the rattle?". No way , as this could just open up a whole host of other problems.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone else is hearing similar thing, and/or if there is really anything one can do about it .

Thanks
Old 07-27-21, 04:52 PM
AFirWraith
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2020 IS350 RWD and have the same exact issue as you described. Funny thing is my 2016 4Runner did the same thing, it ended up being a lose plastic fastener on the engine bulkhead firewall. I found it by using a leaf blower outside of the vehicle while siting inside listening for the sound, I haven’t done this yet with the IS since I usually have music on. I’ll give it a try later this week and see if I can figure it out.
Old 07-27-21, 09:48 PM
JCMno
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
Hello All,
I've been driving a 2021 IS350 AWD for over 3 months now and there is a consistent ticking / rattling type sound coming from somewhere behind the instrument gauge/dash on driver's side. It is so subtle - you have to have all windows rolled up, no music on, no one talking in the car, and drive around 30-50 km/hr to hear it . So hard to pin point where exactly it is coming from . Could even be the speaker on the top left corner of dash. Who knows. Not really annoying at this point, but sort of gets to you given the car is new . Lexus says just to wait it out and see if it gets any worse over time . "Do you really want us to pull the dash apart to find the rattle?". No way , as this could just open up a whole host of other problems.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone else is hearing similar thing, and/or if there is really anything one can do about it .

Thanks
Rattles are indeed annoying no matter what. I didn't have the one you are describing, but the windows control on the driver side rattled a lot. The dealership did some work to minimize it, but I had to add extra felt tape to fully take care of it. Also, the actual door plastic panel rattled while playing music, so I had to add a couple of felt pads between the door and the dash. I am not too bothered by it because I pretty much forgot that I put the felt pads, but it is annoying indeed. Maybe try recording a video of the rattle and take it to a different dealership?
Old 07-28-21, 04:29 PM
TGPCanada
Advanced

Received 841 Likes on 350 Posts

Thanks guys for the responses. Clever idea with the leaf blower. I will try that and see if it locates the source .

Old 07-30-21, 05:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Hello All,

Thanks
I've have the exact same rattle on my 2020 IS350 since new. I narrowed it down to the speaker, as pressing on all other surfaces around that area does nothing to solve the noise. I've brought it up to the dealer and he says they are willing to look at it. Problem is mine has been intermittent, so they haven't been able to hear it. But I finally got it on video, which I plan to show them on my next service.
I too am extremely nervous letting them at it, as often things come back worse or with new noises. I'm still going to go for it though, as this particular rattle is not something livable.
If you come across any further info, please post. It is my hope the dash can stay in and only the speaker needs to be removed, but not sure how it would all go down.
Old 07-31-21, 03:33 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Hello All,

Thanks
I have this too ('19 IS350 AWD F-Sport, Canadian spec), and it is just as subtle as you've described. It is not worth it to pull the dash apart, you'll never get that factory perfect fit and finish ever again. How to deal with it? Turn on your music or radio and make it go away.
Old 03-10-23, 11:25 AM
dainel40
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever solve this? My 2023 has the same rattle noise location and only has 1K miles and it is pretty annoying
Old 03-11-23, 05:17 AM
RA050224
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2022 IS300 V6 that is silent. Do all of you with the dash rattle have IS350 with the moving tachometer gauge? Maybe those physical parts that move are loose?
Old 03-11-23, 06:32 AM
aceifeR
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 22 IS350 and have/had the same issue. I too thought it was coming from the dash but I narrowed it down to the plastic steering column cover(for me anyways). When I hear the subtle rattle when driving, I press down on the plastic cover and the rattle seems to disappear but as soon as I let go, it comes back.
I’ve adjusted the cover by unscrewing the 2 screws holding the top and bottom covers together and it seems to have gotten better.
Old 03-11-23, 08:24 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by atomicva
I have a 2022 IS300 V6 that is silent. Do all of you with the dash rattle have IS350 with the moving tachometer gauge? Maybe those physical parts that move are loose?
It's not the gauge. I've never heard of one of these gauges rattling. None of the three F Sport cars I've had have had a rattle in the gauge cluster area.
The following users liked this post:
Rhydg1 (03-22-23)
Old 03-11-23, 08:50 AM
PrimeDave
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a 19 F-Sport and I haven't heard this rattle. But I wasn't looking for it either or suspicious of it.
But NOW......I'm gonna drive around with all the music off and radar (Uniden R8) off, and see if its there smh lol.
Old 03-12-23, 07:02 PM
mcabutti
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fixing this rattle

Mine had this rattle too. It was from the plastic cover that covers the steering column under the gauge cluster. My fix was to put a four inch piece of half inch diameter round foam weather stripping between the steering column and gauge cluster. Noise is gone!
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (03-12-23)
Old 03-12-23, 10:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Under the gauge cluster on the steering column sounds to be a different spot than above the gauge cluster near the speaker ontop the dash. May be two different rattles. But still good to know!

Old 03-13-23, 02:48 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Under the gauge cluster on the steering column sounds to be a different spot than above the gauge cluster near the speaker ontop the dash. May be two different rattles. But still good to know!
I believe I had the steering column rattle on my 2016 IS 300 AWD. Dealership fixed it under warranty.
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
Fizzboy7 (03-13-23), Rhydg1 (03-22-23)
Old 03-22-23, 08:22 PM
dainel40
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcabutti
Mine had this rattle too. It was from the plastic cover that covers the steering column under the gauge cluster. My fix was to put a four inch piece of half inch diameter round foam weather stripping between the steering column and gauge cluster. Noise is gone!
can you take a photo and where did you get the foam? And where to exactly place it?

Quick Reply: Ticking/rattling behind dash in new IS