IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Convince me to move to Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-21 | 09:07 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dseag2
To RRocket, the A4 engine "sounds like a turd"? I traded an S5 with a Supercharged V6 for my A4 and haven't regretted it, so to each his own. I appreciate all the objective comments from Lexus owners.

Check out 18:06 and talk to me about "turds".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZTib9EoF_Q
I wouldn't call it a turd, but I'm not impressed either. Not a fan at all of 4cyl turbos.
Old 09-07-21 | 06:53 AM
arentz07

Let's keep on topic of the discussion of pros and cons of the vehicles. If not possible, we can close the thread.

One thing that always bugged me about the A4 and Audi cars in general is the weight balance due to the design of the Quattro system. It's still got a longitudinally-mounted engine, but there's a lot of engine hanging over the front axle unlike BMW or Lexus cars. However I've heard the Audi A4 and A5 "handle better" than the Lexus a few times in spite of this weight distribution and Lexus's use of double-wishbone suspension instead of MacPherson strut. I would like to hear more about that if true.
The following users liked this post:
FSporting (09-09-21)
Old 09-07-21 | 08:02 PM
wongnee
Intermediate

Dude, don't get it if you need someone to convince you.

THAT AIN'T TRUE LOVE. AT LEAST NOT FROM YOUR OWN HEART.
wthrman2 (09-08-21)
Old 09-08-21 | 04:05 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ couldn't have said it better - We don't buy a vehicle based on what others say or think - we can use guidance to help us know what to look for when we go for a test drive however, in the end, its what matters to you as an individual. If you take it for a test drive and you like the driving position, you like the ergo inside, you feel there is enough power, you feel it handles good for what you do with the car, you love how it looks, you like how the stereo sounds then what does it matter what others feel?!
wongnee (09-23-21)
Old 09-08-21 | 06:32 AM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dseag2
So you can see from my signature that I was a huge Lexus fan until recently when I started to switch to Audi. My '13 GS F Sport is still one of my favorite cars and I know they are rock-solid. I've had my '17 Audi A4 for over 5 years and it is perfect. It drives fantastic with the 2.0 liter turbo and 7 speed DSG and the Bang & Olufsen sound system is amazing. I have not had any issues so overall it is a perfect car. But I'm bored at this point and maybe looking to trade.

I think the new IS350 looks fantastic. I know the interior hasn't been majorly overhauled and the touch pad gets some hate but I can live with that. Any owners satisfied with the drive? Sorry if this has been discussed, and I'm not trolling. Anyone who checks out my profile can see that I've been a Lexus owner for many years. I have pics in my profile. I would love to hear more input on the IS350... specifically the F Sport.
Buy one if you like it..
Old 09-09-21 | 06:54 AM
FSporting
Rookie

Originally Posted by arentz07
Let's keep on topic of the discussion of pros and cons of the vehicles. If not possible, we can close the thread.

One thing that always bugged me about the A4 and Audi cars in general is the weight balance due to the design of the Quattro system. It's still got a longitudinally-mounted engine, but there's a lot of engine hanging over the front axle unlike BMW or Lexus cars. However I've heard the Audi A4 and A5 "handle better" than the Lexus a few times in spite of this weight distribution and Lexus's use of double-wishbone suspension instead of MacPherson strut. I would like to hear more about that if true.
I had an 07 Audi S4 cabriolet, that I used to blast around the canyon roads in Southern California. It was heavy as hell, but could really hustle around the corners. The Quattro system has a long history of dominant racetrack performance, on road courses and rally events. You should drive one.

That said, so far I have really enjoyed the quick turn in and flat cornering of my 350 F Sport. But I think my old S4 would outrun it in the canyons.
arentz07 (09-09-21)
Old 09-09-21 | 11:02 AM
arentz07

Originally Posted by FSporting
I had an 07 Audi S4 cabriolet, that I used to blast around the canyon roads in Southern California. It was heavy as hell, but could really hustle around the corners. The Quattro system has a long history of dominant racetrack performance, on road courses and rally events. You should drive one.

That said, so far I have really enjoyed the quick turn in and flat cornering of my 350 F Sport. But I think my old S4 would outrun it in the canyons.
Not surprising now that I think about it. I think VW AG has a talented group when it comes to chassis dynamics. Every VW or Porsche I've driven has been pretty fun and handled well... Somehow I've not driven any Audis other than a very brief round-the-block test drive in an A4 several years ago. It was a very nice car, but I didn't get a good sense of the handling - I remember thinking the steering was pretty light but that the car felt very solid. My GTI and GLI were both fantastic handling cars especially considering their FWD drivetrain. That GTI was very confidence-inspiring, especially after I put better tires on it. I was probably driving it at 9/10ths on back roads when I honestly shouldn't have lol.

The IS is also confidence inspiring too. I feel more comfortable pushing it hard on a back road compared to the wife's 330i... though, the tires on the BMW are all-seasons, where the Lexus has summers. As they are, stock, the Lexus feels a bit more capable. I don't know if it's actually faster, but it just feels unbothered by being hustled, and I think there's more left in the car than I have extracted so far.
FSporting (09-09-21)
Old 09-13-21 | 04:15 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Moderator edit - Benoit exit this thread.

We do not allow politics or debate discussion on our forum and if you want to discuss a moderators direction use PM.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq...les#faq_debate
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq...faq_moderators

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-13-21 at 07:18 AM.