IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Convince me to move to Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-21, 08:30 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Convince me to move to Lexus

So you can see from my signature that I was a huge Lexus fan until recently when I started to switch to Audi. My '13 GS F Sport is still one of my favorite cars and I know they are rock-solid. I've had my '17 Audi A4 for over 5 years and it is perfect. It drives fantastic with the 2.0 liter turbo and 7 speed DSG and the Bang & Olufsen sound system is amazing. I have not had any issues so overall it is a perfect car. But I'm bored at this point and maybe looking to trade.

I think the new IS350 looks fantastic. I know the interior hasn't been majorly overhauled and the touch pad gets some hate but I can live with that. Any owners satisfied with the drive? Sorry if this has been discussed, and I'm not trolling. Anyone who checks out my profile can see that I've been a Lexus owner for many years. I have pics in my profile. I would love to hear more input on the IS350... specifically the F Sport.
Old 08-02-21, 09:08 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,968 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
So you can see from my signature that I was a huge Lexus fan until recently when I started to switch to Audi. My '13 GS F Sport is still one of my favorite cars and I know they are rock-solid. I've had my '17 Audi A4 for over 5 years and it is perfect. It drives fantastic with the 2.0 liter turbo and 7 speed DSG and the Bang & Olufsen sound system is amazing. I have not had any issues so overall it is a perfect car. But I'm bored at this point and maybe looking to trade.

I think the new IS350 looks fantastic. I know the interior hasn't been majorly overhauled and the touch pad gets some hate but I can live with that. Any owners satisfied with the drive? Sorry if this has been discussed, and I'm not trolling. Anyone who checks out my profile can see that I've been a Lexus owner for many years. I have pics in my profile. I would love to hear more input on the IS350... specifically the F Sport.
It depends on what your goal is. Are you looking for a car you can keep for 20 years? Then yes. Are you looking for solid reliable daily driving that is mildly fun? Then yes. I'm a Lexus/Toyota fan for many reasons. But one reason I usually don't mention is because the competition simply sucks. Not the cars, but the companies and cultures. I find Audi and BMW dealerships to be extremely stuck-up. The few times I walked into BMW and Audi dealerships in my life they were not friendly at all. Never have had that problem at Lexus.
Old 08-02-21, 09:22 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by macmaster
It depends on what your goal is. Are you looking for a car you can keep for 20 years? Then yes. Are you looking for solid reliable daily driving that is mildly fun? Then yes. I'm a Lexus/Toyota fan for many reasons. But one reason I usually don't mention is because the competition simply sucks. Not the cars, but the companies and cultures. I find Audi and BMW dealerships to be extremely stuck-up. The few times I walked into BMW and Audi dealerships in my life they were not friendly at all. Never have had that problem at Lexus.
Thanks for your response. No question that my Lexus dealership did everything possible to correct any issues with my GS F Sport. They even replaced the aluminum trim at no charge when it was dented. My Audi dealership makes me feel like I am lucky to have their attention. No comparison.

The big question is that if my car is fairly reliable (which the A4 has been) is there a benefit in everyday driving? I drive less than 7k miles per year and there are A4 drivers who have 80k on their cars with no issues. Again, I'm looking for input re: how the IS350 drives. I know it is amazingly reliable.
Old 08-02-21, 09:56 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Thanks for your response. No question that my Lexus dealership did everything possible to correct any issues with my GS F Sport. They even replaced the aluminum trim at no charge when it was dented. My Audi dealership makes me feel like I am lucky to have their attention. No comparison.

The big question is that if my car is fairly reliable (which the A4 has been) is there a benefit in everyday driving? I drive less than 7k miles per year and there are A4 drivers who have 80k on their cars with no issues. Again, I'm looking for input re: how the IS350 drives. I know it is amazingly reliable.
Ahh ok. Here's my take on the ride: I personally think the IS350 feels a little underpowered and underwhelming, and this is me coming from a Prius. Granted, I don't have an IS and I've only test driven the 350 a handful of times, but when I have, it doesn't knock my socks off like an F car. This is no doubt a fault of my own perception. The IS350's awesome styling and cult following contribute to this false expectation in my mind that it's the fastest car ever. In reality, the IS350 is just a smooth quiet ride that handles well (the handling matches the power) and picks up speed fairly easily when you need it to. That's how I'd describe it.
Old 08-02-21, 10:05 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by macmaster
Ahh ok. Here's my take on the ride: I personally think the IS350 feels a little underpowered and underwhelming, and this is me coming from a Prius. Granted, I don't have an IS and I've only test driven the 350 a handful of times, but when I have, it doesn't knock my socks off like an F car. This is no doubt a fault of my own perception. The IS350's awesome styling and cult following contribute to this false expectation in my mind that it's the fastest car ever. In reality, the IS350 is just a smooth quiet ride that handles well (the handling matches the power) and picks up speed fairly easily when you need it to. That's how I'd describe it.
That really answers my question. My A4 DOES knock my socks off when I put the pedal down. Not nearly as sexy as the Lexus but it is a dream to drive so I guess I will stay with it. The A4 is almost invisible compared to the competition but it is a pleasure to drive.
Old 08-02-21, 10:14 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

That really answers my question. My A4 DOES knock my socks off when I put the pedal down. Not nearly as sexy as the Lexus but it is a dream to drive so I guess I will stay with it. The A4 is almost invisible compared to the competition but it is a pleasure to drive.
I would never dissuade someone from getting a Lexus and I wasn't trying to do that. But on paper the numbers for your A4 and the IS350 are very similar and then yours has the turbo factor, so if you're chasing speed and handling you won't really come out ahead with the IS350. Plus you gotta factor that every time you switch into a new car it costs more money. So I think you're making the right choice.

If you're looking to level-up though consider the IS500 coming soon.
Old 08-03-21, 05:37 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 287 Likes on 194 Posts

Me personally, While I don't own the newest model IS (Yet), I would say that if your usual plan is to get a new car before or at the end of the warranty period, then Audi and BMW are fun cars with fun/nice features, but if you plan to keep the car past the warranty period then I would pick no other than Lexus/Toyota.

Another thing to note, Lexus hold their value better than most cars in the same class.

Here is an excellent detailed write up on the new 2021 Lexus IS350 compared to his Wife's 3 Series BMW. I feel Audi and BMW share very similar qualities so the comparison will still be semi-relevant, and if not then just read the parts about his thoughts on the Lexus

*Spoiler Alert* The Lexus IS is a fantastic car, with the only downside being the somewhat lacking infotainment system and a little less power than the other cars in the same class. I'd go Lexus all day, but I may be a bit biased as reliability and holding good value mean a lot to me.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...er-s-view.html
The following 4 users liked this post by whoismiked:
arentz07 (08-03-21), JNP1227 (08-03-21), PAPI007 (09-05-21), Racer00J (08-03-21)
Old 08-03-21, 06:07 AM
FH212
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

If your goal is Power, knock your socks off acceleration and handling, you should be looking at the IS500. That will be the car for you.
Old 08-03-21, 06:25 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FH212
If your goal is Power, knock your socks off acceleration and handling, you should be looking at the IS500. That will be the car for you.
hopefully the handling will match the power. We know how the V8 feels, we know how the IS350 handles. But together We’ll see!!
Old 08-03-21, 08:18 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,909 Likes on 1,974 Posts

I think a lot of folks will say reliability and resale value are the only reasons to get a Lexus, and I would have to say this is simply untrue. For the money, an IS actually represents a good value in the segment when compared to a 3-series or C-class (maybe not so much the A4), primarily thanks to all the standard safety and driving assist features. The IS is also tuned much differently. The 2021 in particular rides really well, something I noted in the 3-series versus IS 350 comparison thread mentioned above. However, in a lot of ways the car does seem a bit dated. The 8-speed trans in particular is much slower to shift than the ZF in my wife's 330i. Gas mileage is also not that great, however, not unreasonable for the class if we're talking the RWD models. Having said that, the IS has a wonderful sound system in the Mark Levinson and a really nice-looking infotainment screen (especially now that it has Android Auto/Apple CarPlay support), along with some of the best seats in the business for a sporty daily driver. The looks, too, are amazing thanks to the refresh. And, I feel the Lexus just seems like a smart choice. People generally think of it as a solid car to get and less of a poseur-type car like the BMW. Just speaking the truth, here. The BMW is a phenomenal car, and I am splitting hairs. I'd even say that, on paper, it's the better car. However, for the things I value, the IS checks more boxes - it has a smooth and strong-enough V6, it rides smoothly, it looks unique, and it is reliable and well-built.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad to have both cars in the garage. I really like the Beamer. However, if I could only have one, it'd be the Lexus.
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
GNS (08-03-21), whoismiked (08-03-21)
Old 08-03-21, 08:45 AM
ashschwin
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

I do think the newly refreshed IS350 looks fantastic along with the B9 Audi A4's. Having driven both vehicles, the interior of the Audi is a much nicer place to be in for daily driving as the fit, finish, and overall user interface is much better designed. The integrated google maps into the digital cockpit is something I am still fascinated by even after first seeing it close to 5 years ago. My personal experience so far with Audi's in general have been robust reliability and has never left me stranded. The Quattro AWD system is also one of the best in the industry.

On a side note, I have had great experiences at the Audi dealerships throughout Southern California when I purchased and serviced my Audi S5 and when my brother bought this 2019 Audi A4. I think the dealership experience is largely based on location and where you reside, but have only had negative experiences when I visited Mercedes, BMW, and Infiniti dealerships in the area. The Lexus dealerships I have come across have all been pretty stellar.
Old 08-03-21, 04:00 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

go test drive it. i like to drive my cars hard and not worry about things breaking and i will never be able to do that in an aged german. car is now pushing 6 years old and still drives good and i romp on it daily
Old 08-03-21, 06:46 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Thanks, everyone, for your replies and input. I'll go check it out!
Old 08-03-21, 06:47 PM
TGPCanada
Advanced

Received 832 Likes on 345 Posts

I've been driving a 2021 IS350 AWD for nearly 4 months now. The ride quality and handling is top notch . Zero comparison to the previous IS I had for 10 years. Zero. It absorbs all the bumps extremely well , yet you feel the suspension is still tight and firm enough to give you confidence around the bends , etc. The seats are extremely comfortable, they fit like a glove . Agreed with others - it will not plant you back in your seat when you floor it. But it picks up well after it gets going and really comes to life at higher RPMs. Low end torque like turbos of course - forget about it .

On the looks department, sorry BMW, Audi, Mercedes. The new IS turns heads , from teenagers to retirees . There are so many 3 series , Audi's around, they seem to have lost their exclusivity label. I'm sure with time as more people get into the IS you can argue the same for the IS. But in my opinion, it is hands down the best looking sports sedan in this particular class segment.

All depends what you value the most . If your #1 priority is all out acceleration,
​​​​​​/speed, the IS is not for you. But on almost all other points , it ranks high in my opinion. And yes, I've driven Mercs, bimmers, etc

Given I'm a bit of freak for power as well, I'm very seriously considering swapping the IS350 for the IS500. There is a serious upgrade in power/torque with be IS500, plus all other amenities noted above.

Hope some of this helps
The following 3 users liked this post by TGPCanada:
arentz07 (08-04-21), Racer00J (08-03-21), swaangin (08-03-21)
Old 08-04-21, 09:25 AM
sajer762
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add my 2 cents as a newer Lexus IS F AWD owner.
The things that drew me to Lexus were the following:

1. Reliability - I tend to keep vehicles past the 100k mark - This speaks for itself
2. Styling - the IS styling attracts a bit of attention and just looks good even though the styling has not changed drastically over the last several years
3. Performance - Not a barn burner in the speed category , but will hold its own and handles very well in my opinion
4. Features - nice interior with good layout , but a bit lacking on the tech , but im ok with that
5. AWD - needed for some weather conditions in my area - if it gets too bad I take the 4runner!

Negatives on the IS
1. A little small inside for larger folks
2. Tech is dated
3. Road noise can be higher depending on your tire selection , but still not as bad as some " sportier" cars I have tried out.
4. Could be faster/quicker
5. Not the best comfort for extended long drives ( 10 - 15 hours )

I love the car and enjoy getting into it each time I go out and I am glad I made the decision to jump into the line. I had always looked at them as a bit pretentious and maybe geared to the " older" crowd with other series.

Just my thoughts on it and good luck with your search!

Quick Reply: Convince me to move to Lexus