Search this Thread

Old 08-23-21, 10:54 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Lexus IS vs Acura TLX: Sport Sedan Showdown

Lexus IS vs Acura TLX: Sport Sedan Showdown
By Brett Foote

How do these two brand-new compact luxury sedans from Japan stack up?

Old 08-23-21, 11:24 AM
Kandyman1
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

This may sound harsh, but some of these articles on CL are just not informative. There's nothing new here. It's all superficial. Nothing that you couldn't have obtained from manufacturer release/pre-release information over a month ago. And using a slideshow layout for an article is a poor choice. It is quite annoying to click Next to advance the page/slide after reading just a 3 sentence paragraph.
Old 08-23-21, 11:27 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by Kandyman1
This may sound harsh, but some of these articles on CL are just not informative.
“SOME” you think?!?
Old 08-25-21, 05:35 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,729 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Originally Posted by Kandyman1
This may sound harsh, but some of these articles on CL are just not informative. There's nothing new here. It's all superficial. Nothing that you couldn't have obtained from manufacturer release/pre-release information over a month ago. And using a slideshow layout for an article is a poor choice. It is quite annoying to click Next to advance the page/slide after reading just a 3 sentence paragraph.
Meanwhile, the caption about the TLX appears on a page with an image of the IS, and vice versa.

I will say, it's surprising how the TLX isn't really bigger on the inside in terms of legroom or headroom compared to the IS, which itself is already a bit space-inefficient for the class.

edit: For what it is worth, I personally would also question the final thought of the TLX being a good value versus the IS being fun. For starters, most journalists seem to agree that the new TLX is fun to drive if not particularly inspiring on the track. However, the Lexus is very relaxed in day-to-day use, so much so that I often see impressions of it that range from "boring" to "dull" to "sluggish". It will certainly wake up when prodded, however. The IS has more of a grand tourer vibe in its tuning.

Last edited by arentz07; 08-25-21 at 05:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
whoismiked (08-26-21)
Old 08-25-21, 06:49 AM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts

I find it tough to get excited about Acura. I'm old enough that they were the most amazing brand when I was in my 20s with the NSX, Legend, Integra. Then they just floundered into nameless average cars with no identity.
This TLX seems like they are finally trying to get serious again, but it would take way more than this car for me to want to spend money on an Acura again.

Old 08-25-21, 07:30 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

I had several Acura products prior to switching to Lexus and I must admit that one of my favorite was the 2012 TL SH-AWD - Sure the TL was polarizing but it I still miss its overall handling and such. They lost me with the TLX and their stupid ZF unit, I went for a test drive and the throttle response was horrible so I decided to go to the IS and never looked back. In my opinion, Acura is still a very good brand and while it doesn't get the brand appeal that the Germans or Lexus, they are certainly coming back with their new TLX, RDX and MDX. I will say that the ELS system is far superior, IMO, than the ML in my previous Lexus products. The biggest issue for me with the TLX now is that it is a bit too big, even my TL was a bit bigger than I needed. I like the tighter interior cockpit of the IS, it just fits me like a glove. I think Acura missed their mark with the Type S at mid 300HP for power. I am not saying it bother me as I am not driven by numbers only....but many are. I am not getting the 500 for the power but the novelty of a dying breed of engine and can say I actually owned a V8 at one point in my life

Last edited by wthrman2; 08-25-21 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-26-21, 09:04 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Yep agree Acura had its magic period, its hayday in the very late 90s and early 2000s. The TL, the RL, the Vigor, Legend were amazing magical marvels. Now no identity. No unique positive quality you can point at and go Yep that's Acura! Yep that's what they do best!

Acuras used to have an aura of special about them.

I don't care for these cars today though as they're old junk, i'm more talking about "in the day." I know there's kids today who worship these cars who weren't even alive when these cars were on the showroom floor. I was there and present touching all these cars. great time to be alive in terms of cars. never again will there be an era like that.
sqlboy2000 (08-26-21)
Old 08-26-21, 09:29 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

I would have to agree. I've had a few Acura's in my past and loved them, but they kinda fell off in interest to me. I'm sure they are still great reliable cars, but their styling seemed to become dull imo.

I had a 94 Acura legend, loved that car in it's time.
Had a 2001 Integra Type R, loved that car and wish I still had it.
Had a 2010 RL for a short period of time, during that time period that car was insanely luxurious and loved it.
One of my most favorite cars I've owned was a 2008 Acura TL Type S, LOVED that car! wish I still had it

But I am not much of a fan of Acura's style and design ever since then. I am glad they are trying to bring back some sportiness with the new Type S, but I am not really a fan of it, but I hope they keep going with sport style sedans

Few pics of my 08 Type S

Last edited by whoismiked; 08-26-21 at 09:33 AM.
arentz07 (08-26-21)
Old 08-26-21, 09:47 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I think the most magical Acura launch was the 1999 Acura TL. That was the absolute height and epitome of Acura. I remember those cars being sold out the second they landed on dealer lots. Especially in pearl white which usually had a $3,000 mark up (probably $8,000 in today's money?) lol. The seats so supple and supportive, those famous Acura wrinkles/lines in the leather. Super tight and quiet. And the crazy blue alien (HID lights) back in 1999 which only two other cars had (standard) at the time: The BMW 3 Series (another super heavenly car in 1998/1999) and the Lincoln Mark VIII. Every other car had halogen lights.
Old 08-26-21, 11:14 AM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts

I would so daily this still.
This thread has turned into a late 90s Acura love fest lol.

whoismiked (08-26-21)
Old 08-26-21, 04:16 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Acura is lame and always has been. VTech is a dumb name. VTech makes baby toys.
Old 08-26-21, 04:47 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 198 Likes on 155 Posts

Nothing to do with this thread, but my daughter is at a Toyota dealership right now trading in her 2020 Honda Civic
hatchback for a Subaru WRX STI Grey Series. She says only 250 manufactured in total. Sorry to hijack the thread for a second.
https://www.concordtoyota.com/used/S...b09fcc9dde.htm
Old 08-26-21, 04:59 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ Good on her for driving a stick!! It is unfortunate that she'll get a loss for her CIVIC but life is too short to be riding something that you don't enjoy!! (don't tell my wife that though (lol)
Jazzrock (08-26-21)
Old 08-26-21, 05:10 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 198 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ Good on her for driving a stick!! It is unfortunate that she'll get a loss for her CIVIC but life is too short to be riding something that you don't enjoy!! (don't tell my wife that though (lol)
She is not great at driving a stick yet. Her boyfriend has a BRZ, so she'll be practicing on that and driving my wife's Infiniti QX30 for awhile to work.
Any opinions on the car? I know it has the boxer engine and gets terrible gas mileage, but seems like a lot of fun.
Old 08-26-21, 05:16 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

A friend of mine keeps telling me he would LOVE to own one but he is cheap and the gas mileage is what keeps him away. No car is perfect, so who cares about gas mileage...Good for her to get a car she loves and wants....
Jazzrock (08-26-21)

Quick Reply: Lexus IS vs Acura TLX: Sport Sedan Showdown