IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

EV mode issue on IS300h 2015

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-21 | 11:13 AM
yousef96
9th Gear

Default EV mode issue on IS300h 2015

Hello guys,

Wondering if anyone can help me with this, my “15 IS300h EV mode will only work when I’m driving below 25mph even though I’m not touching the gas pedal and the battery is fully charged and sometimes it stops working completely and the ICE will keep working after driving the car for a while.

i have checked the hybrid with OBD and no errors are showing and all the readings of the battery are good.

please can someone advise on how to solve this.
Old 08-29-21 | 02:05 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome to the forum!

From your description of the issue, I don't think you have a problem.

"EV mode will only work when I’m driving below 25mph" - that is correct, it will only work below 25mph up to 1 mile in distance
"sometimes it stops working completely and the ICE will keep working after driving the car for a while." - that sounds normal if you've exceeded the 1 mile range limit

EV Mode is meant for a short distance when you don't want the ICE to run...i.e. coming home late at night EV mode can be used when close to home as to not create unnecessary noise as you pull into the driveway.
Old 08-29-21 | 10:10 PM
swaangin
Racer

I would believe it works as it does in most hybrid vehicles. At a certain mph threshold (in the 2013 Camry I believe it's around 30-35mph) it can be fully EV. After that, the electric motor assists in powering the actual engine and it also works when you are at a full stop
Old 08-29-21 | 10:14 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yousef96
Hello guys,

Wondering if anyone can help me with this, my “15 IS300h EV mode will only work when I’m driving below 25mph even though I’m not touching the gas pedal and the battery is fully charged and sometimes it stops working completely and the ICE will keep working after driving the car for a while.

i have checked the hybrid with OBD and no errors are showing and all the readings of the battery are good.

please can someone advise on how to solve this.
Completely normal. Just trust that Toyota's/Lexus's hybrid engineers knew what they were doing.
Old 08-30-21 | 01:57 AM
yousef96
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Welcome to the forum!

From your description of the issue, I don't think you have a problem.

"EV mode will only work when I’m driving below 25mph" - that is correct, it will only work below 25mph up to 1 mile in distance
"sometimes it stops working completely and the ICE will keep working after driving the car for a while." - that sounds normal if you've exceeded the 1 mile range limit

EV Mode is meant for a short distance when you don't want the ICE to run...i.e. coming home late at night EV mode can be used when close to home as to not create unnecessary noise as you pull into the driveway.
thank you dear,
My question is the range only one mile even though the battery is fully charged?

sometimes when I drive the car first thing in the morning the EV will kick even if I’m doing 60 mph as long as the battery is full and I don’t press the gas pedal!
Old 08-30-21 | 01:58 AM
yousef96
9th Gear

Originally Posted by macmaster
Completely normal. Just trust that Toyota's/Lexus's hybrid engineers knew what they were doing.
I’ll always trust Lexus, but my problem is that I don’t get this issue with my CT200
Old 08-30-21 | 01:59 AM
yousef96
9th Gear

Originally Posted by swaangin
I would believe it works as it does in most hybrid vehicles. At a certain mph threshold (in the 2013 Camry I believe it's around 30-35mph) it can be fully EV. After that, the electric motor assists in powering the actual engine and it also works when you are at a full stop
but sometimes it will not work even if I’m at a full stop and the battery is full!
Old 08-30-21 | 05:20 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

thank you dear,
My question is the range only one mile even though the battery is fully charged?

sometimes when I drive the car first thing in the morning the EV will kick even if I’m doing 60 mph as long as the battery is full and I don’t press the gas pedal!
My question is the range only one mile even though the battery is fully charged? - Yes, that's how it is designed
EV will kick even if I’m doing 60 mph as long as the battery is full and I don’t press the gas pedal! - What leads you to believe the ICE is off and the vehicle is in EV mode at 60mph?

You mentioned you had a CT200h...I'm not too familiar with the CT200h or know what year it is, but does it have an EV Mode button as well?

Just to clarify, when we speak about EV Mode, we are talking about when you press the EV Mode button, as described below:

EV Mode differs from normal hybrid operation...in this case EV Mode is more like a "Whisper Mode" for moving the vehicle a short distance at low speed without noise or gas emissions.
Old 08-30-21 | 12:06 PM
yousef96
9th Gear

My question is the range only one mile even though the battery is fully charged? - Yes, that's how it is designed
EV will kick even if I’m doing 60 mph as long as the battery is full and I don’t press the gas pedal! - What leads you to believe the ICE is off and the vehicle is in EV mode at 60mph?

You mentioned you had a CT200h...I'm not too familiar with the CT200h or know what year it is, but does it have an EV Mode button as well?

Just to clarify, when we speak about EV Mode, we are talking about when you press the EV Mode button, as described below:

EV Mode differs from normal hybrid operation...in this case EV Mode is more like a "Whisper Mode" for moving the vehicle a short distance at low speed without noise or gas emissions.
im not talking about the EV button, should have clarified that, I mean when EV mode kicks in automatically and the EV sign is on the dash board.
Old 08-30-21 | 12:10 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

What's your average mileage? Everything you've described sounds normal. EV is not supposed to kick in for very long especially when you're not using the EV button.
Old 08-30-21 | 12:20 PM
yousef96
9th Gear

Around 30 MPG
Old 08-30-21 | 12:49 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Around 30 MPG
I actually have no idea if that's normal or not since we don't have this car in the US. Lol. If it is though, I think you've got nothing to worry about
Old 08-30-21 | 01:05 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

im not talking about the EV button, should have clarified that, I mean when EV mode kicks in automatically and the EV sign is on the dash board.
Ok...so the EV sign your are referring to is this one:

The symbol will appear if you're driving on electrical power only (outside of the actual EV Mode), or when the vehicle is moving but the ICE is off.
Does your CT200h have that same symbol?
I guess as you are comparing the CT200h and IS300h, your expectation is that the operation is the same of the hybrid system.
What is the CT200h doing that is different to the IS300h?
Old 08-31-21 | 04:42 PM
yousef96
9th Gear

Ok...so the EV sign your are referring to is this one:

The symbol will appear if you're driving on electrical power only (outside of the actual EV Mode), or when the vehicle is moving but the ICE is off.
Does your CT200h have that same symbol?
I guess as you are comparing the CT200h and IS300h, your expectation is that the operation is the same of the hybrid system.
What is the CT200h doing that is different to the IS300h?
yes exactly I have the same symbol on my ct200h, so to tell you what happens exactly is that when I first drive my car in the morning the symbol will appear as long as I’m not pushing the gas pedal even if I’m going 60 mph but after a little while it will only appear when my speed is below 25 mph and after driving for a little longer it will stop appearing completely and the ICE will stay on all the time and all of this is happening when the battery is fully charged.
Old 09-01-21 | 04:37 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

yes exactly I have the same symbol on my ct200h, so to tell you what happens exactly is that when I first drive my car in the morning the symbol will appear as long as I’m not pushing the gas pedal even if I’m going 60 mph but after a little while it will only appear when my speed is below 25 mph and after driving for a little longer it will stop appearing completely and the ICE will stay on all the time and all of this is happening when the battery is fully charged.
And if you drive you CT200h on the same route, what does it do?

Quick Reply: EV mode issue on IS300h 2015