IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Losing faith in Lexus service

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-21, 10:01 AM
TDYalden
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Believe me, I completely understand your aggravation and frustration. The fact of the matter is, with all of the lockdowns and COVID restrictions, the global supply chain has literally been decimated. (Now, before someone says I'm trying to make this political, I assure you, I'm only citing facts.)

Case in point: I purchased a whole-home generator about 6-months ago at the height of the lockdowns. As anyone who's installed a generator knows, to do it correctly (read safely) you also install a transfer switch between your electrical service and breaker box through which you also interface your generator - which I did. However, after my purchase showed no movement (the order was still in the processing phase) for over a week, I called the online vendor and inquired what the hold-up was. He stated the supply chain had been completely destroyed because of the lockdowns. He shared with me that he had a number of people who'd purchased generators in preparation for hurricane season (keep in mind, this was about March 2021) and he said, "I'm not going to be able to fill those orders until October, possibly November, well after hurricane season."

Again, I completely get how aggravating this is but it's not just the components that aren't available - e.g. amplifiers, generators, etc. - it's the raw materials needed to actually build those components such as capacitors, MOSFETs, resistors, etc. When I've had no choice but to leave my GX with Lexus, I've always at least enjoyed the fact that Lexus is "kind" enough to provide a loaner in lieu of my having to pay out of pocket for a rental. That, alone, will have saved you several hundred dollars thus far. And, as a whole, the brand has cemented my return ownership when the time comes to replace my '05.

But please do share the results of their efforts once you get it back. What you describe sounds like an issue with the amp's wiring (possibly a speaker wire grounding?). I hope they don't arbitrarily throw another amp at it and expect it to magically work. If they do, I'll be very surprised if you're not back in the service bay within a day.
The following users liked this post:
FSporting (09-08-21)
Old 09-08-21, 10:24 AM
SoCalGrl55
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m sorry to hear about your issue. That’s gotta be frustrating. And I can relate to the frustration with service department ar the dealership. When you think you’re getting top-notch service and you get kind of bottom of the barrel service it’s a really huge disappointment. And it causes a lot of frustration. Especially when you’re not asking for something too difficult or out of the ordinary. Just like everybody else you’re just going there because you need their service. I have a dealership experience, to the point where they just manually cleared all codes and values, and deleted permanent codes restoring it back to as if it were brand new so they say. They didn’t fix the issue at hand. It’s a whole post on its own. I will be posting because I need some help and opinions by other Lexus peeps out there….
I have an IS350 F sport with 50,000 miles and immaculate condition. This car is very well taken care of. Extremely well taken care of to be exact. I have a Mark Levinson system complaint and unsure how to go about it to not cost me an arm and a leg. Now, the speakers all sound wonderful especially the vocals. Feels like you’re at a concert. Now if there’s any bass at all, it sounds horrible. An aftermarket box and amp at this point would sound so much better. I took it to a stereo shop and they said that there was an issue with the subwoofer in the car. It wasn’t blown, they said it was just a bad subwoofer. I could have the smallest amount of bass and you can hear it giving off this horrible sound as if it was blown. But it’s not. So the only music I can really listen to if I want to listen to it at a good volume where you can really experience the quality of the speakers, any music that has no bass. If it’s got any bass forget it. Including a lot of Rock. Has anyone else experienced something similar to mine? If so, is this an issue that I can take to the dealership for a fix or do I have to take it to stereo shop. And I’m assuming I’d have to pay for the entire repair for whatever is wrong with it. And no I do not listen to music so loud that it would cause damage to any part of the LM system. Seems like something that should be fixed as a courtesy since this was a optional upgrade that costs a pretty penny. One wouldn’t think it would go out like this after 3.5 years. It’s been like this for a while now. Super bummed because I have to have top notch sound in my car so I’m disappointed.
FSporting (09-08-21)
Old 09-08-21, 10:30 AM
adr7090
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Begin rant: my 2014 IS350 F Sport is back in the shop to get the Mark Levinson infotainment system working. The first time they had my car for 11 days after deciding it needed a new amplifier. The sound crapped out three hours after I picked the car up. I took the car back and they said they were going to try another new amp. So far, they have had the car an additional 8 days and I still don’t know when they plan to return it. Last word from the service advisor was that they expected the replacement amp to arrive on Saturday, but because of the Labor Day weekend, the car wouldn’t be ready until at least the following Tuesday. If that.

19 days and counting. I just bought the car on 8/6! I have put more miles on the service loaners than my own vehicle. Right now, I am not having positive thoughts about the brand.

It's normal to get frustrated these days because of the shortage of electronics due to the shortage of semiconductors due to covid. I had to wait for 3 month to get the complete navigation system replaced because someone accidentally tried to update the SD card at the dealership didn't perform with in the specified interval and it fried the circuit in my NX200t but they are professional enough to admit the fault and replace the entire system for $3500 which they had to bear the cost but I got a loaner from them for those 3 months.
Same with my 2014 Land Cruiser, I am trying to update the navigation and they are back ordered for 2 months.
FSporting (09-08-21)
Old 09-08-21, 12:12 PM
Crocetti
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Might not be a Lexus issue

maybe try another dealer? Sometimes it’s the tech.

QUOTE=FSporting;11120201]Begin rant: my 2014 IS350 F Sport is back in the shop to get the Mark Levinson infotainment system working. The first time they had my car for 11 days after deciding it needed a new amplifier. The sound crapped out three hours after I picked the car up. I took the car back and they said they were going to try another new amp. So far, they have had the car an additional 8 days and I still don’t know when they plan to return it. Last word from the service advisor was that they expected the replacement amp to arrive on Saturday, but because of the Labor Day weekend, the car wouldn’t be ready until at least the following Tuesday. If that.

19 days and counting. I just bought the car on 8/6! I have put more miles on the service loaners than my own vehicle. Right now, I am not having positive thoughts about the brand.[/QUOTE]
FSporting (09-08-21)
Old 09-08-21, 12:13 PM
scriminal
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Guess I got one made on a Tuesday or whatever, my 2014 IS350 AWD (non-F sport) with the ML system has been just fine. (watch it will break now that I'm saying nice things about it)
FSporting (09-08-21)
Old 09-08-21, 12:32 PM
YotaFan
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Long test drive

On the bright side, you may get to spend some significant time with a newer model and see what you like. Coax then t into loaning you an RC 350 or LS to roll around in while they have yours. I have an 02 SportCross with 288k on it and the only thing that has gone wrong was the fuel pump at 260k. I also have a 16 IS 350 F-sport, which is way faster but lacks the ability to swallow up massive amounts of large items. After all these years and miles, I'd have nothing except a Lexus.
FSporting (09-08-21)
Old 09-08-21, 12:39 PM
Lexfan2004
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FSporting
Begin rant: my 2014 IS350 F Sport is back in the shop to get the Mark Levinson infotainment system working. The first time they had my car for 11 days after deciding it needed a new amplifier. The sound crapped out three hours after I picked the car up. I took the car back and they said they were going to try another new amp. So far, they have had the car an additional 8 days and I still don’t know when they plan to return it. Last word from the service advisor was that they expected the replacement amp to arrive on Saturday, but because of the Labor Day weekend, the car wouldn’t be ready until at least the following Tuesday. If that.

19 days and counting. I just bought the car on 8/6! I have put more miles on the service loaners than my own vehicle. Right now, I am not having positive thoughts about the brand.

A loaner being received on a 7 year car is quite gracious. At least you don't have to deal with a rental car that's not going to be anywhere as nice as a Lexus in most scenarios. I am still determined to get myself a used 2016 or newer Lexus. Hope the radio issue is resolved soon brother.
Old 09-08-21, 01:51 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow, what a story. I'm totally sorry for you. FWIW, my 22-year-old Lexus sound system works. I am dealing with the global supply issues myself. I'm waiting on a shipment of 193 printer/copiers for work.

Here's what the port of Los Angeles - one of the biggest shipping ports in the country - looks like today. All the green dots are ships waiting to dock and be unloaded.

https://splash247.com/more-than-40-s...ng-new-record/
Old 09-08-21, 02:09 PM
lmpucci64
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota makes great engines and mechanics. Computers and chips? die way sooner and become obsolete... a 2014 piece of electronics is ancient!
Old 09-08-21, 03:40 PM
dodger1989
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,
I'm not sure if this problem has been resolved yet. However, I have had a lot of experience with this issue that your vehicle is having. There is a Coax cable connector under the center console that goes from the vehicles amplifier to the radio. I have seen on numerous occasions that if you wiggle this connector the sound will kick
back on indicating a loose connection inside that coax cable connector. The connector is gray in color and is located right under the center console and should be easily accessible. I would say this is worth a shot for your tech to look at as this is a common problem with these vehicles.

Thanks
FSporting (09-08-21)
Old 09-08-21, 04:01 PM
ATLHeel350
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks to you both for your information and views. I have faith in the reliability of the vehicles, based on my experience with my first Lexus. But I am starting to question the brand, perhaps unfairly based on one dealership.

The screen and every other function of my system worked fine, just no sound. Well actually, there was sound: a loud “pop!” right after starting the car, even if the audio was turned off. And that same popping sound was heard after the repair, just before the sound went silent again.

Here’s the thing: I expect the Lexus master technicians to accurately diagnose the problem and fix it with new parts that work. I really don’t think that is an unreasonable expectation for the “brand.”

10+ days to replace an amplifier? Seems unreasonable to me.

Installing a defective part (if that’s what actually happened)? This is not supposed to happen at a luxury brand.

I learned, after the fact, that these Lexus/Mark Levinson systems are problematic and seem to have a shelf life of some sort, which again gives me pause about the brand. My 2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited’s Infinity system never faltered despite clocking even more miles. AND I was able to upgrade to Apple CarPlay using software only, and not having to install some third party workaround. Clearly Hyundai is not a luxury brand but… come on Lexus.

Okay, I’m almost ranted out…!
Well, I am on my third Lexus. All had the ML system. The door speaker on my RCF developed a rattle about three years in. The dealer made an adjustment and I was back to enjoying my tunes! I honestly think it is one of the better factory radios. My experience with Lexus has been pretty trouble free. Clearly you are having a problem. Maybe there is something else causing the problem. That could be why the kept it so long.
Old 09-08-21, 04:50 PM
FSporting
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I truly appreciate the thoughtful responses. Thank you for letting me rant.

As far as I know, my system is completely stock; the car showed no signs of abuse or hacked modifications during its inspection. And for the few hours it worked, it sounded great. I was a happy camper when I drove home from the shop after the first repair!

I also appreciate all of the technical tips and suggestions; these are the things I would hope the Lexus master technicians take into consideration while they fix the problem.

Here’s some good news: the service advisor called me this afternoon to say they received the new amp a day earlier than expected and have it installed and tested. The car is ready to go! But then he asked if I wouldn’t mind letting them keep it overnight to conduct further testing to make sure it’s okay. Of course I approved.

I will report back tomorrow.
Ellingtoni (09-09-21)
Old 09-08-21, 05:38 PM
4INSONLY
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same issue. 14 IS350 ML system. I sent the amp to United Audio and they said there is nothing wrong with it. Reinstalled checked everything. No water. Fuses fine. Checked the vents they seem to be in good order and car wasnt being drove and in the garage and I played music for a few minutes got the pop and sound went out. I turned off the car and it came back on. What else code it possibly be? I do see there was a B15 error code with previous owner back in April/ If anyone knows anything other than spending 1500 at dealer that would be greatly appreciated. i might be making this trip to dealer as well/
FSporting (09-08-21)
Old 09-08-21, 06:12 PM
Prado150
6th Gear

Just curious: have you ever had one of your Lexus in service for more than 10 days AND they didn’t fix the problem?
.Yes, my 2020 GX460 has been in several times for an error message about my Multi Terrain Select detecting an error. Still no resolution
Old 09-08-21, 06:15 PM
Lfarmer
Driver School Candidate

Default Radio issues

I have replaced 2 radios in my 2014 IS 250 and one radio in my 2015 IS250. I also find this to be perplexing. Both vehicles sat at the dealership for weeks due to availability of the radios. I'm thinking there should be a recall.
FSporting (09-08-21)

Quick Reply: Losing faith in Lexus service