IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Noise Coming from Driver's-Side Seat Belt Mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-21, 07:54 AM
MrFrini
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noise Coming from Driver's-Side Seat Belt Mechanism

I have this annoying sound I hear every time I go over a bump or road imperfection. It seems to be coming from the area of the driver's side seat belt mechanism on the B-pillar. It could also be happening on the passenger-side seat belt mechanism, but I can clearly hear the noise on the driver's side because of my obvious proximity to it while driving. I haven't taken it to my local Lexus dealership yet. Any clues on what it could be? Just for reference, not that it matters as much, but I have a 2018 IS 350 F-Sport. Thanks.
Old 09-16-21, 01:05 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Depending on the registration date and mileage you could still be in warranty, but not for much longer. I would get it to the dealer asap if you're still covered.

What does the noise sound like? Creaking? Metallic? Like plastic?
Old 09-16-21, 01:07 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Haha, I remember I had this when I first bought the car and it would drive me insane. Not sure which noise you're talking about but for me it sounded like a bunch of clicking. I took it to 2 dealerships, first one gave up and the 2nd one found out what it was. He took some kind of lubricant (silicon something, I'm sure someone can tell you). He put it on a rag and wiped it on my door seals (the weather stripping) and the noise goes away.

But, after some time, I'd say a few months, it comes back, but that's literally what it was. Took me almost a year to find out what it was because I had no idea. I thought it was the B pillar too but it's the weather seals.
Old 09-16-21, 01:10 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
Haha, I remember I had this when I first bought the car and it would drive me insane. Not sure which noise you're talking about but for me it sounded like a bunch of clicking. I took it to 2 dealerships, first one gave up and the 2nd one found out what it was. He took some kind of lubricant (silicon something, I'm sure someone can tell you). He put it on a rag and wiped it on my door seals (the weather stripping) and the noise goes away.

But, after some time, I'd say a few months, it comes back, but that's literally what it was. Took me almost a year to find out what it was because I had no idea. I thought it was the B pillar too but it's the weather seals.
It was likely silicone spray. It helps to restore suppleness to the rubber of the door seals if they are dry. It doesn't last forever, but a quick spray and you're good for awhile still.
Hopefully it's just that.
The following users liked this post:
swaangin (09-18-21)
Old 09-20-21, 08:26 AM
MrFrini
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I kept googling stuff and stumbled upon an old thread about the same problem and I saw that a lot of people were recommending the whole silicone spray on the seals, so I happened to already have a can of WD-40 brand silicone spray and decided to try it out. I applied it on all doors and even the sunroof just in case, even though the noise was coming from the driver's door. Thankfully the annoying noise went away.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (09-21-21)
Old 09-21-21, 08:33 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFrini
So I kept googling stuff and stumbled upon an old thread about the same problem and I saw that a lot of people were recommending the whole silicone spray on the seals, so I happened to already have a can of WD-40 brand silicone spray and decided to try it out. I applied it on all doors and even the sunroof just in case, even though the noise was coming from the driver's door. Thankfully the annoying noise went away.
Good call. I had a similar issue with my former GTI. Cleaning the weather seals on the doors and putting some silicone lubricant on them fixed the issue for me. I know how annoying it can be! I could barely focus on driving because every little crack in the road caused noises in the doors. Always a good idea to have some of that lubricant on hand if you car is more than a couple years old.
Old 10-01-21, 10:42 AM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

This problem plagued my interior experience for over a year. I tried using silicone spray on all the door seals...sound is GONE!
Old 10-04-21, 08:08 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,641 Posts

As is common with "what's this noise" type threads, people seem to be conflating/discussing two or more different sounds in response to the OP's specific request. He's talking about a noise from the seatbelt at the B pillar.

I had the same problem with my first 2021 ES so I opened up the B pillar and fixed it myself (I can pinpoint, diagnose, and address a problem much faster than any 21 year old working as a "tech" at a dealer) Why? Cause it's your car and you know the noise best. But I understand that may not be for everyone.

How did I do it?

Pull the B pillar panel away (don't remove, just pop the clips) and expose the seatbelt holder. It's a stamped steel section (likely costs 15 cents to manufacture) that rides along another 15 cent stamped steel part. This parts together rattle around. I cut a thin sliver of gaffer's tape to close the gap just a bit (not a lot) between the two metal parts. And voila the noise went away. Lube will do nothing. It's not that kind of noise. I suspect these steel tracks the seatbelt rides up and down on as you press the adjuster button in are shared across many Lexus models so if it is, your problem may be that.

My 2nd ES (2021) does not have this problem. Manufacturing variance perhaps.
Old 10-04-21, 08:19 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

No disassembly of actual mechanism required or advised. Just slide it down (or up) and put a very thin piece of tape on the inside of the rail where it normally rests when you drive) It should be rattle free after as it's no longer hard metal on hard metal.

Old 10-04-21, 08:31 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by E46CT
As is common with "what's this noise" type threads, people seem to be conflating/discussing two or more different sounds in response to the OP's specific request. He's talking about a noise from the seatbelt at the B pillar.

I had the same problem with my first 2021 ES so I opened up the B pillar and fixed it myself (I can pinpoint, diagnose, and address a problem much faster than any 21 year old working as a "tech" at a dealer) Why? Cause it's your car and you know the noise best. But I understand that may not be for everyone.

How did I do it?

Pull the B pillar panel away (don't remove, just pop the clips) and expose the seatbelt holder. It's a stamped steel section (likely costs 15 cents to manufacture) that rides along another 15 cent stamped steel part. This parts together rattle around. I cut a thin sliver of gaffer's tape to close the gap just a bit (not a lot) between the two metal parts. And voila the noise went away. Lube will do nothing. It's not that kind of noise. I suspect these steel tracks the seatbelt rides up and down on as you press the adjuster button in are shared across many Lexus models so if it is, your problem may be that..
Ahem...

Originally Posted by MrFrini
Sometimes, noises sound like they're coming from a specific area, but it turns out it's something behind the area where the noise originates from. In my GTI, I had a noise seemingly coming from the B-pillar area which happened to be the door seals. In my Camry, I had a noise seemingly in the dashboard which was actually the windshield wiper cowl. Usually, the most common issue is the first one that should be checked.
Old 10-04-21, 09:55 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I wasn't talking about your post in particular. But I went the extra mile by actually physically tracking and targeting the noise on a 2021 Lexus which happened to be the same conditions as OP's.. over bumps.. seat belt.. b pillar. So I think the OP is hearing the same noise I had heard since he says it's coming from the b pillar seat belt. over bumps.

the type of noise a door seal would make is not over bumps, but typically when the chassis is going up a driveway as the car body flexes. OP let us know what you find!
Old 10-04-21, 10:08 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by E46CT
I wasn't talking about your post in particular. But I went the extra mile by actually physically tracking and targeting the noise on a 2021 Lexus which happened to be the same conditions as OP's.. over bumps.. seat belt.. b pillar. So I think the OP is hearing the same noise I had heard since he says it's coming from the b pillar seat belt. over bumps.

the type of noise a door seal would make is not over bumps, but typically when the chassis is going up a driveway as the car body flexes. OP let us know what you find!
The reason I responded was because OP already stated that the noise has gone away after applying lubricant.