IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Replacing the CV Outer Boot

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-21, 08:00 PM
JohnDao
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Replacing the CV Outer Boot

I'm having some issues finding repair manuals for my 2017 IS 350 F Sport AWD (yeah i know i should've gotten the rwd), as I'm trying to repair my CV outer boot. I hit a fat pothole and my suspension took a dump, resulting in a new shock, outer tie rod, and a boot kit. I know the replacement for everything else, but does anyone have any instruction manuals (or just instructions in general) to the replacement of the CV outer boot? Thanks.

here's an image of what my wheel well looks like so you can also laugh at it.
- John
Old 10-10-21, 11:02 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,979 Likes on 2,507 Posts

CV joint grease is nasty stuff how do you plan on cleaning it all off? There is a clip on the inboard joint once that's removed you remove the inner joint, then remove the outer joint in the same direction. Obviously you remove the boot clamps first. See this diagram the clip is 43411E
https://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/us/...nt-drive-shaft

The clip aka snap ring is tricky to remove and likes to launch into orbit so be careful. Once the clip is removed the job is pretty easy outside of the mess. Looks like you are dealing with the RH axle, the carrier bearing can be tough to remove from the mount/bracket.
Old 10-11-21, 06:09 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

There is a couple ways to do this.
Taking the entire shaft out is certainly one way to go.
However, if you remove the outboard joint from the knuckle, you can simply remove the large inboard clamp of the inner boot.
This will release the inboard joint from the green cup and allow you to remove most of the shaft from the vehicle without actually having to take the entire shaft out.

Either method will require a new boot kit for the inner and outer joint.
Once you replace the outer boot, then replace the inner one, and reassemble with the last clamp to be put on being the large one on the inner boot.
To crimp the clamps for the boots requires a specific pair of pliers as the clamps need to be super tight.

I attached some instructions to help...you don't need to follow every step as you're not completely rebuilding the shaft.
I would suggest not trying to remove the entire shaft, but it's up to you.

Do you have those pliers? In the instructions it's actually a special service tool that Lexus has, but there are pliers that will do the same thing...and I don't mean sidecutters.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Installation.pdf (270.8 KB, 61 views)
Reassembly.pdf (421.4 KB, 79 views)
Disassembly.pdf (251.0 KB, 83 views)
Old 10-11-21, 04:48 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
There is a couple ways to do this.
Taking the entire shaft out is certainly one way to go.
However, if you remove the outboard joint from the knuckle, you can simply remove the large inboard clamp of the inner boot.
This will release the inboard joint from the green cup and allow you to remove most of the shaft from the vehicle without actually having to take the entire shaft out.

Either method will require a new boot kit for the inner and outer joint.
Once you replace the outer boot, then replace the inner one, and reassemble with the last clamp to be put on being the large one on the inner boot.
To crimp the clamps for the boots requires a specific pair of pliers as the clamps need to be super tight.

I attached some instructions to help...you don't need to follow every step as you're not completely rebuilding the shaft.
I would suggest not trying to remove the entire shaft, but it's up to you.

Do you have those pliers? In the instructions it's actually a special service tool that Lexus has, but there are pliers that will do the same thing...and I don't mean sidecutters.
what if he tells service department he was driving along and that happened lol any chance they’d cover it under warranty or they would know right away he nailed something?
Old 10-11-21, 04:55 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
what if he tells service department he was driving along and that happened lol any chance they’d cover it under warranty or they would know right away he nailed something?
Lol...sounds like a couple other parts bit the dust as part of the impact...definitely can't squeeze that one through on warranty.
Old 11-08-21, 08:43 PM
JohnDao
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

UPDATE !!
So we ended up ripping the axle out to replace both inboard and outboard joint boots, everything ended up being a clean (not at all, that grease was a pain to get out and it costed me a couple articles of clothing), albeit lengthy success. However, my car actually took a fat dump just a week after fixing the boot! As shown, this was the RH side of my car in which the boot had to be replaced. I hit a pothole on a major construction area of my city late at night where there weren't any lights and the left boot just took a fat dump. I'm too exhausted to think about fixing it myself, but since I have the parts I'm just taking it to my dealer to install while I mooch off their complimentary car. :]

edit : the LH side isn't as bad as the RH, all that I need replaced is the boot and shock, compared to boot, shock, tie rod, dust shield. however, I think my lower control arm bushings turned to dust but I'll just replace it on my own time and throw in the RCF/GSF ones too.

Last edited by JohnDao; 11-08-21 at 08:50 PM.