IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Fog light bulbs upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-21, 07:28 AM
Gasturbine
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fog light bulbs upgrade

2014 is250 factory fog lights. I hate the stock H11 tungsten bulbs. Not very bright, and the typical yellow hue from the clear bulbs.

I’ve found some really high end 800 lumens LEDs, but most come with built in fans and/or remote resistors, which I don’t want to deal with I think, as I cant find the amp draw either.

I’m want killer brightness, and close to the matching temp of my LED headlights. I am not interested in being legal…I am willing to use “off road use only bulbs” to achieve my want.

I know that Osram and Hella make 100watt bulbs, and if I remember my amperage equations, 100w dived by 12V=about 8.3 amps each. Does anybody know how high I can go given the wire gauge and fuse? Does anybody know the wire gauge and fuse rating? I’d like to see if I can safely increase (up) the fuse amperage to accommodate what I want.

or alternatively, give a specific direct replacement, that you guys have already done, and are happy with.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-21, 06:02 AM
CASeoul
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasturbine
2014 is250 factory fog lights. I hate the stock H11 tungsten bulbs. Not very bright, and the typical yellow hue from the clear bulbs.

I’ve found some really high end 800 lumens LEDs, but most come with built in fans and/or remote resistors, which I don’t want to deal with I think, as I cant find the amp draw either.

I’m want killer brightness, and close to the matching temp of my LED headlights. I am not interested in being legal…I am willing to use “off road use only bulbs” to achieve my want.

I know that Osram and Hella make 100watt bulbs, and if I remember my amperage equations, 100w dived by 12V=about 8.3 amps each. Does anybody know how high I can go given the wire gauge and fuse? Does anybody know the wire gauge and fuse rating? I’d like to see if I can safely increase (up) the fuse amperage to accommodate what I want.

or alternatively, give a specific direct replacement, that you guys have already done, and are happy with.

Thanks!
I've got a base model 250, replaced them with morimoto xbs.
Direct replacement, and a bright white. I've got hids so I cant compare the color match for you, but it's nice and bright and white.
The following users liked this post:
Gasturbine (10-20-21)