IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Repairing scratch on the dark-chrome wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-22, 05:38 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Finally got new wheels. Hopefully nothing else will happen to 'em.
whoop whoop! Love to hear it’s all resolved!
Old 05-01-23, 01:35 PM
garretti
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

So I managed to get three nails in one tire… Luckily, I had road hazard on this tire since I got it replaced after getting a nail at about 1.2k miles. But the tire shop screwed my wheel up pretty bad... This picture is only one section, but there’s scratches and scrapes just like this around the whole wheel. Like, how do you even do that??? I went back and told them and the manager came out to look at it and told me to call this local wheel repair company they use. He said “I am sorry but you have what is called a PVD chrome wheel and we can not repair that." Went back and told the shop and they ordered me a new wheel from the local Lexus dealer. I'm honestly surprised that I didn't have to pull teeth. They spent a while looking through camera footage so I guess they saw someone mess it up. But if I'm honest, I'm agreeing with you here @arentz07 . While this dark chrome finish looks pretty, it's a pain to deal with. I was reading through this thread the other night and washed my car the next and was shocked to see the amount of swirl marks on them. And you can't even get them repaired!

Last edited by garretti; 05-01-23 at 01:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (05-01-23)
Old 05-01-23, 04:16 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,740 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by garretti
So I managed to get three nails in one tire… Luckily, I had road hazard on this tire since I got it replaced after getting a nail at about 1.2k miles. But the tire shop screwed my wheel up pretty bad... This picture is only one section, but there’s scratches and scrapes just like this around the whole wheel. Like, how do you even do that??? I went back and told them and the manager came out to look at it and told me to call this local wheel repair company they use. He said “I am sorry but you have what is called a PVD chrome wheel and we can not repair that." Went back and told the shop and they ordered me a new wheel from the local Lexus dealer. I'm honestly surprised that I didn't have to pull teeth. They spent a while looking through camera footage so I guess they saw someone mess it up. But if I'm honest, I'm agreeing with you here @arentz07 . While this dark chrome finish looks pretty, it's a pain to deal with. I was reading through this thread the other night and washed my car the next and was shocked to see the amount of swirl marks on them. And you can't even get them repaired!
I believe minor swirls could be polished out, but I've not tried it myself.
Old 05-01-23, 04:36 PM
garretti
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah I think I’m just willing to live with it tbh. I don’t notice it unless I get really close. I think that if you keep these wheels clean, from a decent decent distance it kinda hides most things.
arentz07 (05-01-23)
Old 05-01-23, 06:41 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Hey which DT store damaged your wheels? Not the Sugarloaf Mills Mall location?

Sometimes I think the particle refinish fixes are only as good as..... will anyone else notice if you don't point it out for them to look closely.

Last edited by jgscott; 05-01-23 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-01-23, 06:57 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,740 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Hey which DT store damaged your wheels? Not the Sugarloaf Mills Mall location?

Sometimes I think the particle refinish fixes are only as good as..... will anyone else notice if you don't point it out for them to look closely.
No, it was the Windward Parkway location. But, as mentioned, they did end up replacing my wheel, so I've got no beef with them.
Old 05-01-23, 07:26 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,057 Posts

No, it was the Windward Parkway location. But, as mentioned, they did end up replacing my wheel, so I've got no beef with them.
Got it. I go to the Sugarloaf one. They do all my Tire wheel stuff. The Manger there is Chris, he does my stuff himself. For just that reason, and he's a car Guy too!
arentz07 (05-01-23)
Old 06-20-24, 02:01 PM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Whew, just read through this thread. That was a lot of work to fix a wheel scratch.
However, I gave my car some curb rash a couple of weeks ago ... :-(
It's not too bad, and my IS isn't going to be a show car (I'm coming from owning Jaguars for which there were always plenty of shows ...), and exactly where do owners show their cars, are there Lexus Owners Clubs, so I'm not frantic about things.
I'm going to start with a sharpie, and then move to gloss black when the ink wears off.
=============================================
Angle parked in a parallel universe