IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Looking For Buying Advice (Chicago)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-21, 06:40 PM
Juicin123
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking For Buying Advice (Chicago)

Hello everyone, new to the forum and looking for some buying advice on model/trim/year for an IS. I haven't purchased a car since I was 16, it's been 15 years so forgive me for my ignorance. I didn't know much the first time around and am looking to rectify that. It worked out (03 honda civic) but i got lucky. I plan to use this vehicle for at least 10 years. Maybe more. I'll just list some random thoughts and questions and hopefully you guys can correct me where I'm wrong. And answer some of my questions.

Not really looking to go over ~35k out the door, maybe a bit more. And want low mileage (no more than 60k)

Yes there are pretty mint ISF's in my price range and area. No i'm not getting one. Although i considered it.

I don't want anything with a turbo, at least that isn't very new. I don't want my engine to "carb up" early if that's the proper vernacular. Which means I don't want any of the 250s, 200t, or 300's with the turbo. Maybe I don't want a turbo at all irrelevant of year for reliabilities sake not sure. I want something with a v6.

I want AWD not RWD. Chicago weather as a commuter car I want something that feels vaguely familiar. Only thing RWD i've ever driven for any length of time is a forklift. And I'm pretty sure all the 6 speeds AWD 300s come with the V6 (correct me if i'm wrong)

Is this inner tire wear issue a design choice throughout all years? Or a more recent choice. If it's present in all models I'd be interested in a thread on the optimum way to have the car aligned so it has minimal tire wear if such a thing exists.

And the final question is about codes/diagnostics. Is the optimum really just a VCI cable with a laptop and techstream for lexus? I only need a solution for Lexus no other brand. If it's that simple I can figure it out from there. Just have to convince the dealer I'm not ruining the car when I go do it.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions. Whether in relation to other models of lexus or whatever else might be relevant before i make a choice. Please feel free to enlighten me. I only know what I've read in the last couple weeks.

Thanks

Old 12-04-21, 08:21 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Welcome, and great questions!

The front inner tire wear is due to the suspension design and the choice of bushings on the lower control arms. It seems to be an issue for all model years of the 3rd-gen IS, though it has not specifically been confirmed on the 2021+ to my knowledge. The first set of tires I had on my 2016 IS 300 AWD were done at 21,000 due to the inner wear. I replaced them with a set of BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S tires. When I got those new tires, I got an alignment and ran a little more toe-in at the front in order to theoretically help fight the inner wear. I can say this - it at least allowed my second set of tires to last 17,000 miles without issue. I ended up lease-returning the car before the tires wore out, but I believe they had at least 6/32" of tread left at the front. I didn't notice a significant amount of inner wear at the front while I was running this alignment. I even took measurements: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Sounds like an IS 350 AWD or IS 300 AWD would be right up your alley. If you decide to go for the 350, I would recommend the F Sport, since it has AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension), which lets you switch into a Sport+ mode for a firmer ride and sharper control. If you are getting the additional power the 350 brings, you may as well add that on, as well. Moreover, the differences between a non-F-Sport IS 300 AWD and IS 350 AWD will be much smaller. I think it makes sense to either go for the 350 AWD F Sport or the 300 AWD base. I had a 2016 IS 300 AWD F Sport. It is a fantastic car all around, but I recall the suspension seemed to be on the firm side, especially compared with my 2021 IS 350 RWD F Sport. If this is a commuter car, ride quality may be important to you. Otherwise, it was extremely reliable and was a pleasant car in which to commute - admittedly my commutes were typically under 20 minutes, but still! Also I could see the argument for an IS 300 AWD F Sport if you simply like the style touches of the F Sport better, or the seats - those F Sport seats are truly some of the best for a blend of support and comfort, but their narrow bottom cushions may not be for everyone.

I suppose you could also go for the IS 250 AWD, but of course, it will be slower than the 300 AWD and lacks the dual injection (port AND direct injection) of the 300's engine. But, supposedly the newer 250s are not as bad when it comes to carbon build-up. It would be something to ask about if you decide to look at a 250. I know you're not interested in the 300 RWD/200t with its turbo four-cylinder, but I thought I'd also mention that it should not have carbon build-up issues. Like the 3.5-liter V-6, it also has both port and direct injection, so the intake valves are getting cleaned every time you drive it. The only variant of the 3rd-gen IS in America that does not have this system is the 250 (RWD or AWD).

I am not sure what other options you have for diagnostics apart from TechStream, but there is a decent amount of knowledge on that here on the forums. TechStream will probably work fine for you, since you don't need other brands to be covered.

Just make sure, too, you have all the service/maintenance history available and that nothing seems suspicious on the car... I bought a GTI a few years ago and didn't look closely enough at it. Later on, I realized it had been repainted. In fact, it wasn't just the repainting - there was also some minor damage to the front bumper that I noticed only after owning the car for a few weeks. That didn't bother me that much, but the repaint was a bit suspect.

Anyway, good luck and hope you find exactly what you're looking for!
The following 3 users liked this post by arentz07:
GeorgeSaad (06-05-22), Juicin123 (12-04-21), wthrman2 (12-05-21)
Old 12-04-21, 08:47 PM
Juicin123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
Welcome, and great questions!

The front inner tire wear is due to the suspension design and the choice of bushings on the lower control arms. It seems to be an issue for all model years of the 3rd-gen IS, though it has not specifically been confirmed on the 2021+ to my knowledge. The first set of tires I had on my 2016 IS 300 AWD were done at 21,000 due to the inner wear. I replaced them with a set of BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S tires. When I got those new tires, I got an alignment and ran a little more toe-in at the front in order to theoretically help fight the inner wear. I can say this - it at least allowed my second set of tires to last 17,000 miles without issue. I ended up lease-returning the car before the tires wore out, but I believe they had at least 6/32" of tread left at the front. I didn't notice a significant amount of inner wear at the front while I was running this alignment. I even took measurements: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Sounds like an IS 350 AWD or IS 300 AWD would be right up your alley. If you decide to go for the 350, I would recommend the F Sport, since it has AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension), which lets you switch into a Sport+ mode for a firmer ride and sharper control. If you are getting the additional power the 350 brings, you may as well add that on, as well. Moreover, the differences between a non-F-Sport IS 300 AWD and IS 350 AWD will be much smaller. I think it makes sense to either go for the 350 AWD F Sport or the 300 AWD base. I had a 2016 IS 300 AWD F Sport. It is a fantastic car all around, but I recall the suspension seemed to be on the firm side, especially compared with my 2021 IS 350 RWD F Sport. If this is a commuter car, ride quality may be important to you. Otherwise, it was extremely reliable and was a pleasant car in which to commute - admittedly my commutes were typically under 20 minutes, but still! Also I could see the argument for an IS 300 AWD F Sport if you simply like the style touches of the F Sport better, or the seats - those F Sport seats are truly some of the best for a blend of support and comfort, but their narrow bottom cushions may not be for everyone.

I suppose you could also go for the IS 250 AWD, but of course, it will be slower than the 300 AWD and lacks the dual injection (port AND direct injection) of the 300's engine. But, supposedly the newer 250s are not as bad when it comes to carbon build-up. It would be something to ask about if you decide to look at a 250. I know you're not interested in the 300 RWD/200t with its turbo four-cylinder, but I thought I'd also mention that it should not have carbon build-up issues. Like the 3.5-liter V-6, it also has both port and direct injection, so the intake valves are getting cleaned every time you drive it. The only variant of the 3rd-gen IS in America that does not have this system is the 250 (RWD or AWD).

I am not sure what other options you have for diagnostics apart from TechStream, but there is a decent amount of knowledge on that here on the forums. TechStream will probably work fine for you, since you don't need other brands to be covered.

Just make sure, too, you have all the service/maintenance history available and that nothing seems suspicious on the car... I bought a GTI a few years ago and didn't look closely enough at it. Later on, I realized it had been repainted. In fact, it wasn't just the repainting - there was also some minor damage to the front bumper that I noticed only after owning the car for a few weeks. That didn't bother me that much, but the repaint was a bit suspect.

Anyway, good luck and hope you find exactly what you're looking for!
Thank you, this was very enlightening.

I'm looking a 350 right now without the F Sport package and I was thinking I was losing nothing on performance. Just set up the test drive earlier. I thought F Sport was just a cosmetic package didn't realize it changed the suspension. That was probably my biggest misconception. Although I may have figured it out once i got in there and didn't see as many modes as I thought there would be.

Bushing too, i forgot to add that to my notes. Really the only flaw I can find with this car is that tire wear. Mostly will be leisurely highway miles so shouldn't rip through them too fast....Hopefully. I remember talk of figs and RC/GSF bushings now.

I'm used to my civic so I'm tempted to not even get in things like an ES or GS so i don't get carried away with how smooth the boat ride is, hahahah. Older LS's are out of the question too long.

The other obvious alternative is the RC but i'm a bit tall (6 2) for a coupe i feel like, and it's heavier than an IS. My civic was always so cramped and crossovers surrounding me already annoys me. Will only escalate if I'm lower. And I wouldn't say I necessarily prefer the look to the IS. I'll have to try it but i doubt it.

At this point since I've confirmed the diagnostics...I guess i'll have to just start test driving I'm running out of things to learn.

One last question i forgot. What are people's thoughts on lexus certified 2 year warranty? Worth it on a ~50k mile 5 year old IS? Or any lexus in that general mileage age range. Most of the ones I'm looking at are about to lose their warranty or just have.

Thanks

Old 12-04-21, 09:19 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by Juicin123
Thank you, this was very enlightening.

I'm looking a 350 right now without the F Sport package and I was thinking I was losing nothing on performance. Just set up the test drive earlier. I thought F Sport was just a cosmetic package didn't realize it changed the suspension. That was probably my biggest misconception. Although I may have figured it out once i got in there and didn't see as many modes as I thought there would be.

Bushing too, i forgot to add that to my notes. Really the only flaw I can find with this car is that tire wear. Mostly will be leisurely highway miles so shouldn't rip through them too fast....Hopefully. I remember talk of figs and RC/GSF bushings now.

I'm used to my civic so I'm tempted to not even get in things like an ES or GS so i don't get carried away with how smooth the boat ride is, hahahah. Older LS's are out of the question too long.

The other obvious alternative is the RC but i'm a bit tall (6 2) for a coupe i feel like, and it's heavier than an IS. My civic was always so cramped and crossovers surrounding me already annoys me. Will only escalate if I'm lower. And I wouldn't say I necessarily prefer the look to the IS. I'll have to try it but i doubt it.

At this point since I've confirmed the diagnostics...I guess i'll have to just start test driving I'm running out of things to learn.

One last question i forgot. What are people's thoughts on lexus certified 2 year warranty? Worth it on a ~50k mile 5 year old IS? Or any lexus in that general mileage age range. Most of the ones I'm looking at are about to lose their warranty or just have.

Thanks
For me, even though it is a Lexus and shouldn't have too many issues, I'd probably still go for the warranty just for peace of mind.

For whatever it is worth, I sat in an RC recently and, at 5' 11", I had plenty of headroom. I didn't measure, but of course the IS will still have more headroom.

An IS 350 non-F-Sport is still a good car, and probably cheaper to buy as well. Maybe just test-drive and see what you think. I've personally never driven a base (non-F-Sport) IS, so I am not sure. I have sat in one, and the seats feel a lot more supportive in the F Sport.
The following users liked this post:
Juicin123 (12-04-21)
Old 12-04-21, 09:33 PM
malibu2003
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Hello everyone, new to the forum and looking for some buying advice on model/trim/year for an IS. I haven't purchased a car since I was 16, it's been 15 years so forgive me for my ignorance. I didn't know much the first time around and am looking to rectify that. It worked out (03 honda civic) but i got lucky. I plan to use this vehicle for at least 10 years. Maybe more. I'll just list some random thoughts and questions and hopefully you guys can correct me where I'm wrong. And answer some of my questions.

Not really looking to go over ~35k out the door, maybe a bit more. And want low mileage (no more than 60k)

Yes there are pretty mint ISF's in my price range and area. No i'm not getting one. Although i considered it.

I don't want anything with a turbo, at least that isn't very new. I don't want my engine to "carb up" early if that's the proper vernacular. Which means I don't want any of the 250s, 200t, or 300's with the turbo. Maybe I don't want a turbo at all irrelevant of year for reliabilities sake not sure. I want something with a v6.

I want AWD not RWD. Chicago weather as a commuter car I want something that feels vaguely familiar. Only thing RWD i've ever driven for any length of time is a forklift. And I'm pretty sure all the 6 speeds AWD 300s come with the V6 (correct me if i'm wrong)

Is this inner tire wear issue a design choice throughout all years? Or a more recent choice. If it's present in all models I'd be interested in a thread on the optimum way to have the car aligned so it has minimal tire wear if such a thing exists.

And the final question is about codes/diagnostics. Is the optimum really just a VCI cable with a laptop and techstream for lexus? I only need a solution for Lexus no other brand. If it's that simple I can figure it out from there. Just have to convince the dealer I'm not ruining the car when I go do it.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions. Whether in relation to other models of lexus or whatever else might be relevant before i make a choice. Please feel free to enlighten me. I only know what I've read in the last couple weeks.

Thanks
the 2.5-L V6 engine is one of the worst engines toyota has built. I'd shy away from that one. Too much carbon build up issues.
Juicin123 (12-04-21)
Old 12-04-21, 09:50 PM
Juicin123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by malibu2003
the 2.5-L V6 engine is one of the worst engines toyota has built. I'd shy away from that one. Too much carbon build up issues.
Ok all 250s are out irrelevant of turbo or not. I had thought they were all turbo, another confusion on my part. They don't seem to be that high in supply in my area at the moment relative to other models anyway so that's not a huge deal.

Thanks for clarifying that I had thought all the V6's were well regarded and it was only the turbos that had these issues.
arentz07 (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 08:22 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 313 Likes on 240 Posts

I’m in the Chicago western suburbs, and bought a 2014 IS 350 AWD three years ago to use as my winter/bad weather car.
I test drove an identical 250 before the 350, and was ready to walk away from Lexus if that is all the performance they were offering, the 2014 IS250 AWD is terrible.
I specifically ignored the F sport version when shopping, as the early 3IS years did not have the options I wanted, and I absolutely hated that full mesh grill on the nose. Installed the FIGS LCA bushings to mitigate the front inner tire wear.
The car I got is great. Just changed over to my winter tires yesterday, so ready for some fun.
Don’t have a diagnostic setup yet, as there’s been no need, the car is solid, and just runs.
Juicin123 (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 01:01 PM
Juicin123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I’m in the Chicago western suburbs, and bought a 2014 IS 350 AWD three years ago to use as my winter/bad weather car.
I test drove an identical 250 before the 350, and was ready to walk away from Lexus if that is all the performance they were offering, the 2014 IS250 AWD is terrible.
I specifically ignored the F sport version when shopping, as the early 3IS years did not have the options I wanted, and I absolutely hated that full mesh grill on the nose. Installed the FIGS LCA bushings to mitigate the front inner tire wear.
The car I got is great. Just changed over to my winter tires yesterday, so ready for some fun.
Don’t have a diagnostic setup yet, as there’s been no need, the car is solid, and just runs.
That grill is very polarizing lol. I don't mind it that much. Although it doesn't fit on more luxury oriented vehicles IMO. Works better knowing there is a something big under the hood. I'll try both. Seats matter a lot to me too.

I feel the same way about the carbon fiber in the IS F's. I'm tempted but why would you cover the dash and center console with it... Granted it does age well, at least flaws don't show in pictures. But the car isn't exactly light just give me wood or something. I would have already bought an 08 F if they didn't all have that shiny crap in there.

I'm pretty tech savvy so there is little reason for me not to do the diagnostics. But yea most car buyers I'm sure don't and the point of buying a lexus is it wouldn't be a huge concern. I'll probably go L certified unless i pick GS which have very limited options relative to IS/RC/ES. Which reduces the need even more. We have a lot of good dealers in our area. (i too am in the western burbs)

Last edited by Juicin123; 12-05-21 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-05-21, 07:39 PM
LocoStrnge
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in the Chicago burbs and been driving m17 IS300 for 2 years now. I think heated seats is standard but heated steering is an awesome luxury that I use all the time now.
Juicin123 (12-06-21)
Old 12-06-21, 09:01 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 313 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by LocoStrnge
I live in the Chicago burbs and been driving m17 IS300 for 2 years now. I think heated seats is standard but heated steering is an awesome luxury that I use all the time now.
Yes, heated steering wheel was an option I had to have, but have been disappointed with the IS implementation, with heat only at the 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock positions.
My other car, which doesn’t get driven in the winter, heats the whole top half, 9 o’clock through 3 o’clock (never checked the bottom half).
Juicin123 (12-06-21)
Old 12-06-21, 09:06 AM
Juicin123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Yes, heated steering wheel was an option I had to have, but have been disappointed with the IS implementation, with heat only at the 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock positions.
My other car, which doesn’t get driven in the winter, heats the whole top half, 9 o’clock through 3 o’clock (never checked the bottom half).
Yea that's rough I'm normally 1 handed at 12

More good info, TY
Old 01-01-22, 11:10 AM
DoDoDozer
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks
I'm in the same boat as you..... Starting to search.. and it seems that the the IS 350 AWD is what I should shoot for ( Boston weather, snow rain , hills etc, want to drive up to VT maybe.)

also looking to spend max 35k more like 30k. Audi A4s are 4k ish cheaper but..... seems more "issues" at least in long term owner ship vs short term.

I"m looking to buy from anywhere in the country to avoid rust/ rust seized bolts doing maintenance, I'v e seen cars from IL.. rust turns a 3 hr job into 7 hrs with broken bolts, replace bolts, drilling in out of bolts.