IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Auto Dimming Side Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-22 | 05:34 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Default Auto Dimming Side Mirror

Happy New Years everyone. I hope you are all well and with your loved ones.
So yesterday I picked up a 2022 IS350 that is fully loaded and even has the memory package (you’ll see in a sec why that’s relevant). A couple months back I had Jake from Lexus of Cool Springs send me the Lexus Learn training material that is handed out to dealership staff. And in that material which I am attaching a screenshot of, it mentions that 2022 IS, regardless of packages, has an auto dimming drivers side mirror with auto tilt down in reverse. I got the memory package in which one of the features is the auto tilt down in reverse, but I do not have the auto dimming side mirror. The rear view mirror does dim, but not the side mirror. And I don’t even see a visible edge of where it would be, kind of like on the rear view mirror. Can anyone confirm if I’m supposed to have that, or if anyone in a 2021+ IS350 has that feature in a US Spec Model? The training material I was sent has a bunch of other errors, so if this ends up being an error I wouldn’t be surprised. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-01-22 | 06:17 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

In order for the mirror to tilt while in reverse, you need to push the select button for either the right or left mirror for it to work. If the switch is in the middle, it wont tilt. Now pressing either the left or right mirror will tilt both, but you need to select one

Happy 2022 to you too and your family
Old 01-01-22 | 08:13 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by wthrman2
In order for the mirror to tilt while in reverse, you need to push the select button for either the right or left mirror for it to work. If the switch is in the middle, it wont tilt. Now pressing either the left or right mirror will tilt both, but you need to select one

Happy 2022 to you too and your family
Thanks bud! Unfortunately I was referring to the auto dimming function. The tilt down works fine already. Thank you though!
Old 01-01-22 | 08:15 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Oups my bad...I was just browsing through my phone and must have glanced too fast.

I cant be 100 sure if my side mirrors dim, I rarely drive my car at night anyway...sure others will chime in
The following users liked this post:
TipsyTonio (01-01-22)
Old 01-01-22 | 10:08 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

The auto dimming outside mirror is for the driver's side only, aside from the inside rear view mirror. In the other models, both outside mirrors were auto dimming.
wthrman2 (01-01-22)
Old 01-01-22 | 11:20 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by flipside909
The auto dimming outside mirror is for the driver's side only, aside from the inside rear view mirror. In the other models, both outside mirrors were auto dimming.
Yes, that is what the training material claimed, but neither of mine dim. Where did you obtain the information if I may ask? Thanks
Old 01-01-22 | 12:19 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
Yes, that is what the training material claimed, but neither of mine dim. Where did you obtain the information if I may ask? Thanks
The best way to test this is to shine a flashlight or lamp into the inside rear view mirror. Make sure the Auto Dimming power switch is on (green light). The rear view mirror should dim, and the driver's side outer mirror will do the same. If it's not working, take it in to service to have them diagnose it.
Old 01-01-22 | 01:30 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

The best way to test this is to shine a flashlight or lamp into the inside rear view mirror. Make sure the Auto Dimming power switch is on (green light). The rear view mirror should dim, and the driver's side outer mirror will do the same. If it's not working, take it in to service to have them diagnose it.
Gotcha. I appreciate it. By any chance though, do yours have a visible outline of the portion that dims? From the videos I’ve seen of other cars there is a very small discernible line marking the area that dims, similar to the rear view mirror.
Old 01-01-22 | 05:16 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

So I found this document from the press release in which it does mention it, but when you go into the product page on the Lexus website and go through the features it is not mentioned. It is however mentioned on the Canadian website. It also shows up on my owners manual but it says “if equipped”. I’m curious if this is a massive mess up on Lexus’s PR department and the feature is only available in the Canadian markets? It is a possibility given that the US and Canadian market share the same owners manual as well. Truthfully, the only way I see if confirming this would be checking TIS, but I don’t have access to it. Perhaps, the man, the myth, the legend @Sasnuke could chime in?

https://lexus-cms-media.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/2022-Lexus-IS_Specifications-FINAL.pdf
Old 01-01-22 | 09:42 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

How about a few photos of this car, unless you've done that in another thread? Thanks.
Old 01-02-22 | 12:20 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Gotcha. I appreciate it. By any chance though, do yours have a visible outline of the portion that dims? From the videos I’ve seen of other cars there is a very small discernible line marking the area that dims, similar to the rear view mirror.
Yes mine does, but you have to remember the suppliers for these mirrors can change during the course of a vehicle production.

I already looked a TIS and all it mentions is the operation of the electrochromic mirror and wiring diagrams and using the light to check for the mirror's dimming operation. Take it to the dealer to get it checked if you're uncertain. Canadian-spec IS' are configured differently than the US-Spec cars.
Old 01-02-22 | 07:35 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Yes mine does, but you have to remember the suppliers for these mirrors can change during the course of a vehicle production.

I already looked a TIS and all it mentions is the operation of the electrochromic mirror and wiring diagrams and using the light to check for the mirror's dimming operation. Take it to the dealer to get it checked if you're uncertain. Canadian-spec IS' are configured differently than the US-Spec cars.
Gotcha. Thanks for the help. I opened a case with Lexus Corporate already and I’m waiting to hear from them to see what they say. Regardless I’ll mention it when I take it to get the oil changed after my break in. Thanks for the help.
flipside909 (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22 | 05:24 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

So I found this document from the press release in which it does mention it, but when you go into the product page on the Lexus website and go through the features it is not mentioned. It is however mentioned on the Canadian website. It also shows up on my owners manual but it says “if equipped”. I’m curious if this is a massive mess up on Lexus’s PR department and the feature is only available in the Canadian markets? It is a possibility given that the US and Canadian market share the same owners manual as well. Truthfully, the only way I see if confirming this would be checking TIS, but I don’t have access to it. Perhaps, the man, the myth, the legend @Sasnuke could chime in?

https://lexus-cms-media.s3.us-east-2...ions-FINAL.pdf
In reading the thread I noticed it went from the Driver's side mirror to both outer mirrors being auto-dimming...officially called Electrochromic (or EC for short).
When looking at the repair manual and wiring diagram, they both agree that the only EC mirrors are the inner rear view mirror and the Driver's outer mirror. The Passenger outer mirror is not indicated to be EC.
However, when you look at the New Car Features for 2021+, it would indicate all 3 mirrors are EC.
I think we can safety say it's only the 2 mirrors that are EC.

To test yourself to see them dim, cover the front of the inner rear view mirror.
There is a light sensor on the passenger front side of the inner mirror that looks for ambient light out the front of the vehicle.
If you're testing during the day, cover the sensor with some electrical tape.
If you're testing at night, then make sure you are somewhere with no ambient light outside the vehicle.
Ideally covering the sensor is the best way to go regardless of day or night.
Confirming that the green light is on at the bottom of the mirror (Ignition should be on at least), shine a light somewhat directly at the inner rearview mirror to simulate a vehicle behind you.
At that point both mirrors should dim.
As far as I'm aware there is no visible line on the outside mirror...then entire glass will dim.
Old 01-04-22 | 05:33 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
In reading the thread I noticed it went from the Driver's side mirror to both outer mirrors being auto-dimming...officially called Electrochromic (or EC for short).
When looking at the repair manual and wiring diagram, they both agree that the only EC mirrors are the inner rear view mirror and the Driver's outer mirror. The Passenger outer mirror is not indicated to be EC.
However, when you look at the New Car Features for 2021+, it would indicate all 3 mirrors are EC.
I think we can safety say it's only the 2 mirrors that are EC.

To test yourself to see them dim, cover the front of the inner rear view mirror.
There is a light sensor on the passenger front side of the inner mirror that looks for ambient light out the front of the vehicle.
If you're testing during the day, cover the sensor with some electrical tape.
If you're testing at night, then make sure you are somewhere with no ambient light outside the vehicle.
Ideally covering the sensor is the best way to go regardless of day or night.
Confirming that the green light is on at the bottom of the mirror (Ignition should be on at least), shine a light somewhat directly at the inner rearview mirror to simulate a vehicle behind you.
At that point both mirrors should dim.
As far as I'm aware there is no visible line on the outside mirror...then entire glass will dim.
You’re the man @Sasnuke . Last night another forum member, @Katran , tested his mirror on his 2022 and he said that his driver’s side mirror did dim, but very very slightly. I checked last night when I got his message and it appears to dim, just not very much. Like Katran experienced, it was very very dim. Almost negligible. It’s almost like you have to look for it in order to realize it. And you are correct in that there is no visible line. This is the same theory that @flipside909 had. From your experience with these vehicles, is the side mirror’s dimming very very light? It’s definitely not anything like the interior mirror. I feel like once I get tints I won’t even be able to notice the side dimming at all. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-22 | 05:51 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

You’re the man @Sasnuke . Last night another forum member, @Katran , tested his mirror on his 2022 and he said that his driver’s side mirror did dim, but very very slightly. I checked last night when I got his message and it appears to dim, just not very much. Like Katran experienced, it was very very dim. Almost negligible. It’s almost like you have to look for it in order to realize it. And you are correct in that there is no visible line. This is the same theory that @flipside909 had. From your experience with these vehicles, is the side mirror’s dimming very very light? It’s definitely not anything like the interior mirror. I feel like once I get tints I won’t even be able to notice the side dimming at all. Thanks in advance.
The interior rearview mirror will dim darker than the outers. The older model Lexus auto dimming outside mirrors had a visible edge, specifically the previous generation IS.

Tint will definitely help the glare.

Quick Reply: Auto Dimming Side Mirror