3IS Alignment on RSR springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-22, 08:54 AM
Chrisbaxxt
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3IS Alignment on RSR springs

2015 IS350 AWD on RSR down springs.
Already installed SPC rear adjustable camber arms to fix negative camber on rears. Alignment attached done right after, rear camber was set to about -1.6deg -- hoping that will take care of inner wear on rear tires.

Now trying to fix already noticeable inner tire wear on the fronts at just a few thousand miles of spirited daily driving: I'm about to order RCF LCA bushings, but noticing on my alignment sheet that the front camber is also out of spec? Do I need camber adjustment in the fronts in addition to upgraded LCA bushings?
Any advice?

Last edited by Chrisbaxxt; 01-10-22 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-09-22, 09:29 AM
Answer
Instructor

Received 835 Likes on 405 Posts

The wear is caused by the dynamic toe up front because the bushings are too soft. RCF LCA bushings will fix most of the wear. Camber alone won't eat tires.
The following users liked this post:
MagStock (01-09-22)
Old 01-09-22, 06:11 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Front camber adjustment would probably be favorable for performance, if that is what you're going for. LCA bushings will help with the dynamic front toe as Answer said.
sNotM3 (01-20-23)
Old 01-09-22, 08:47 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

There are no arms you can buy for the front and there's very minimal factory adjustment for the front with the AWD IS. You're pretty much stuck there as is
Old 01-10-22, 06:42 AM
Chrisbaxxt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yri
Front camber adjustment would probably be favorable for performance, if that is what you're going for. LCA bushings will help with the dynamic front toe as Answer said.
This is just my tastefully riced daily driver, so priority is to eliminate premature inner tire wear -- any performance gains are just a cherry on top at this point. Definitely will upgrade LCA bushing, just working on getting confirmation that the RCF bushing are in fact made out of a harder material than the 350s. Will shoot BellLexus an email and see what they have to say.
Old 01-10-22, 06:47 AM
Chrisbaxxt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by swaangin
There are no arms you can buy for the front and there's very minimal factory adjustment for the front with the AWD IS. You're pretty much stuck there as is
SPC makes these adjustable ball joints that give you +/- 1.5deg adjustability in the front. Seeing that my front passenger side is at -1.9deg (out of spec range) makes me worry I might still have inner wear even with upgraded LCA Bushing. I had little over -2 deg camber on the rears after RSR down springs and that seems to have been giving me inner tire wear on rears too.

https://www.spcalignment.com/compone...AFrom&to=USATo

Last edited by Chrisbaxxt; 01-10-22 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-10-22, 06:51 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,687 Likes on 1,784 Posts

^^ The RC F bushings are indeed a bit stiffer than the OEM LCA bushings of the IS 350 but if you want something to change the way the car handles and feels, you would be best served with FIGS or RR bushings....The RC/GS F bushings will not produce a noticeable change in the way the car handles or corners and will be drive very similar to your stock OEM bushings but will help (not eliminate completely) the inner tire wear. Before deciding which way you want to proceed, really assess what you are trying to achieve so that you aren't disappointed. I installed these on my 2021 IS 350 F Sport and I like how the drive has remained very Lexus-like with no NVH....
Old 01-10-22, 06:52 AM
Chrisbaxxt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Answer
The wear is caused by the dynamic toe up front because the bushings are too soft. RCF LCA bushings will fix most of the wear. Camber alone won't eat tires.

I've heard others say camber alone won't give you inner tire wear...I guess I'll be able to pitch in from experience soon: I had inner tire wear on rears on previous set of tires, camber was little over 2deg, toe was just a smidge negative as recommended. Put adjustable camber arms and now running -1.6deg on rears, we'll see if that fixes the rears. Do we believe excessive dynamic toe is an issue on rears too?
sNotM3 (01-20-23)
Old 01-10-22, 07:01 AM
Chrisbaxxt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ The RC F bushings are indeed a bit stiffer than the OEM LCA bushings of the IS 350 but if you want something to change the way the car handles and feels, you would be best served with FIGS or RR bushings....The RC/GS F bushings will not produce a noticeable change in the way the car handles or corners and will be drive very similar to your stock OEM bushings but will help (not eliminate completely) the inner tire wear. Before deciding which way you want to proceed, really assess what you are trying to achieve so that you aren't disappointed. I installed these on my 2021 IS 350 F Sport and I like how the drive has remained very Lexus-like with no NVH....
I've researched the alternatives, and the potential for increased maintenance (periodic greasing) turned me off the FIGS and RR polyurethane bushings. I'm not gonna lie though, I'd like to have the increased handling performance too, but not at the cost of significant more maintenance; again, this is no garage baby or track car that gets limited use. I'm going with the RcF's.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chrisbaxxt:
sNotM3 (01-20-23), wthrman2 (01-10-22)
Old 01-10-22, 07:08 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,687 Likes on 1,784 Posts

I went the same route and will be doing the same with my IS 500 - Some will say there will be no gain but for a couple of hundred dollars and the peace of mind, even if it's just a placebo, I'll get my done
sNotM3 (01-20-23)
Old 01-10-22, 08:26 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisbaxxt
SPC makes these adjustable ball joints that give you +/- 1.5deg adjustability in the front. Seeing that my front passenger side is at -1.9deg (out of spec range) makes me worry I might still have inner wear even with upgraded LCA Bushing. I had little over -2 deg camber on the rears after RSR down springs and that seems to have been giving me inner tire wear on rears too.

https://www.spcalignment.com/compone...AFrom&to=USATo
Interesting, I am surprised no one has ever mentioned these before but that sounds good, just for reference, my front was around -1.4 to -1.6, -1.9 seems to be the highest I've seen. My rears are about -2.2 to -2.3. I haven't really noticed any wear but I just got new tires. My old tires were wearing on the inside even after the RCF/GSF bushings but that might be due to the camber, I'll see what's going on with these tires though. Thanks for the post
Old 12-06-22, 12:50 PM
Paul4949
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I do not install any aftermarket parts on my 2011 IS250 suspension. Would anyone happen to have alignment specs for the factory suspension that they have used that would help with the inside tire wear?