IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Long term reviews on Lexion Apple Carplay headunit? (Not 4x4 or any other model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-22, 12:15 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Long term reviews on Lexion Apple Carplay headunit? (Not 4x4 or any other model)

Anyone who owns the unit can you state your experience so far with it and how it's been going? I'm thinking about biting the bullet since I found someone who is willing to install it for me but it's basically going to be a $1000 upgrade
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (01-22-22)
Old 01-22-22, 01:51 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 198 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
Anyone who owns the unit can you state your experience so far with it and how it's been going? I'm thinking about biting the bullet since I found someone who is willing to install it for me but it's basically going to be a $1000 upgrade
I had mine installed by an excellent car stereo shop near me. The unit and larger touchscreen have been flawless from day one. I continue to discover apps to play music through CarPlay. It's been in my car since June.
Old 01-22-22, 01:59 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by Jazzrock
I had mine installed by an excellent car stereo shop near me. The unit and larger touchscreen have been flawless from day one. I continue to discover apps to play music through CarPlay. It's been in my car since June.
1. Have there been any updates to the unit, if so have you done them and what is the process?
2. Any overheating issues?
3. Do you have the jog wheel or mouse pad? -- 3a. How does it work with the mouse pad? 3b. Do you use the mouse pad / jog wheel when using the screen or do you use your hand?
4. How fast is the boot up compared to OEM? 4a. Does it ever fail to connect wirelessly to Apple CarPlay?
5. Do you have to go through any menu options in order to connect the Apple CarPlay wirelessly or does it happen on it's own when you start the car?
6. Any notice in degradation of sound quality?
7. How does the voice call system work, are you still using OEM microphone / head unit or is it through the new head unit?

I am so sorry for all these questions lmao
Old 01-22-22, 03:42 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

1. Have there been any updates to the unit, if so have you done them and what is the process?
2. Any overheating issues?
3. Do you have the jog wheel or mouse pad? -- 3a. How does it work with the mouse pad? 3b. Do you use the mouse pad / jog wheel when using the screen or do you use your hand?
4. How fast is the boot up compared to OEM? 4a. Does it ever fail to connect wirelessly to Apple CarPlay?
5. Do you have to go through any menu options in order to connect the Apple CarPlay wirelessly or does it happen on it's own when you start the car?
6. Any notice in degradation of sound quality?
7. How does the voice call system work, are you still using OEM microphone / head unit or is it through the new head unit?

I am so sorry for all these questions lmao
1. No overheating issues. I haven't updated the unit since I got it. Dojoman has a later version of the software, but I never updated it. He has helped answer CarPlay function questions.
2. Bootup is very fast, maybe 20 seconds.
3. It works fine with the mouse pad.
4. It failed to connect one time. It connects equally fast with wireless and wired. Not a problem.
5. It connects automatically once you check an option in Lexion settings to do so.
6. Sound quality is excellent. No degradation.
7.I usually use the mouse pad or touchscreen. The installer installed the Lexion microphone, to the left of the rear view mirror. I use Siri on occasion. It works as well as Siri always works. It depends on how much she had to drink the night before.
8. No, it doesn't cook dinner, unfortunately.
9. Since ReynChan is now responding via email, any issues with Lexion get addressed by him. You're probably aware of this already.
10. The only thing I cannot do is answer phone calls while on the Lexus side without opening my phone and changing the setting while driving, which I will not do. I just let the call go to voicemail and call back. I am not
on Lexus audio that much and don't get phone calls in the car much either. If you're on Lexion, phone calls and messages work flawlessly.
11. It's a great unit and touchscreen! Highly recommended.
swaangin (01-23-22)
Old 01-22-22, 05:42 PM
swaangin
Racer

Thanks a lot for answering those questions.

What about music? Is it through the wireless Apple Carplay or is it through Bluetooth?
And for phone calls, you said you can't open it on the Lexus side but on Lexion it's fine? Is there a reason you'd be on the Lexus side if you're in Carplay? -- If I used the "call" button on steering wheel while in Carplay, would it answer the phone and I could speak normally through it? I was told by the Lexion rep to not install the external mic, but then I thought, wouldn't that be using the Lexus bluetooth to make calls?
Old 01-22-22, 11:48 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Thanks a lot for answering those questions.

What about music? Is it through the wireless Apple Carplay or is it through Bluetooth?
And for phone calls, you said you can't open it on the Lexus side but on Lexion it's fine? Is there a reason you'd be on the Lexus side if you're in Carplay? -- If I used the "call" button on steering wheel while in Carplay, would it answer the phone and I could speak normally through it? I was told by the Lexion rep to not install the external mic, but then I thought, wouldn't that be using the Lexus bluetooth to make calls?
Audio works fine, whether it's wired or wireless. The quality is the same.
If you're listening to audio through Lexus, you can't do phone calls if doing navigation in Lexion (Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze) at the same time. You have to exit Lexus audio to use the phone.
You have to click on Aux in Lexus to access Lexion audio (music, phone, navigation apps).
swaangin (01-23-22)
Old 01-23-22, 08:46 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

If you're listening to audio through Lexus, you can't do phone calls if doing navigation in Lexion (Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze) at the same time. You have to exit Lexus audio to use the phone.
You have to click on Aux in Lexus to access Lexion audio (music, phone, navigation apps).
Out of genuine curiosity, what uses do you have with the OEM lexus UI side? Reason I ask I because I have an andriod unit as well (not Lexicon) for nearly 2 years now I do not think I've switched over to the OEM UI a single time. Never had a reason to. So I'm curious as to what you use on the oem side?
Old 01-23-22, 10:25 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

I’ve chatted with jazzrock once a while about this unit, so far it works flawlessly for both of us. He uses CD player sometime and I listen to OTA radio. In this case we do have to switch back to OEM. In our case if a phone calls come through Lexion screen switches back to CarPlay automatically which is nice except it cannot switch over to AUX input for audio. In this situation you won’t hear any phone calls unless you manually switch to AUX. It’s a bit confusing at first but once you get what’s going on it’s fine.

You can opt to have Lexus BT connected while using CarPlay to solve this phone call issue but I had an issue where you started playing music in CarPlay and when AUX was already selected you still won’t hear music. The reason is now you have both Lexus BT and CarPlay as speakers and iOS doesn’t know where to output the audio. The only solution is to go to control center in iOS and manually choose CarPlay as speakers.
The following 3 users liked this post by dojoman:
Jazzrock (01-23-22), swaangin (01-23-22), whoismiked (01-23-22)
Old 01-23-22, 12:08 PM
swaangin
Racer

so if I'm understanding dojo and you correctly, you guys sometimes use the CD player / radio, that's why you guys need to switch inputs? I use Spotify only so I would never have to switch off the Aux so I wouldn't have that issue, is that correct?
Jazzrock (01-23-22)
Old 01-23-22, 12:20 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

so if I'm understanding dojo and you correctly, you guys sometimes use the CD player / radio, that's why you guys need to switch inputs? I use Spotify only so I would never have to switch off the Aux so I wouldn't have that issue, is that correct?
That’s right. If you keep your input to AUX all the time you should not have to worry about phone calls audio mixed up. I need to go back to Lexus Bluetooth and pair it again to test out whether latest iOS 15.2 fixes this. iOS setting has options to route phone calls audio to BT device automatically but it wasn’t working on prior iOS.
AUX audio quality is as good as BT at least for me I couldn’t tell the difference.
Jazzrock (01-23-22)
Old 01-23-22, 01:26 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by dojoman
That’s right. If you keep your input to AUX all the time you should not have to worry about phone calls audio mixed up. I need to go back to Lexus Bluetooth and pair it again to test out whether latest iOS 15.2 fixes this. iOS setting has options to route phone calls audio to BT device automatically but it wasn’t working on prior iOS.
AUX audio quality is as good as BT at least for me I couldn’t tell the difference.
And I know I asked jazzrock this, what do you think of the trackpad?

Lexion should really give you guys a discount code or something because you guys just sold me the unit, going to buy it! Anything I should tell them moving forward? I've seen some reviews where people say they forget to pack certain harnesses, I have the navigation base IS, do I need to tell them anything specifically?
Jazzrock (01-23-22)
Old 01-23-22, 01:28 PM
Kaianuanu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just upgraded from my 07 IS250 to a 2015 IS350, with the dreaded infotainment rebooting issue. Will this unit fix this issue?
Old 01-23-22, 01:33 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by Kaianuanu
Just upgraded from my 07 IS250 to a 2015 IS350, with the dreaded infotainment rebooting issue. Will this unit fix this issue?
No, the issue you're talking about is with the actual radio itself. I'm surprised because I thought the problem happened mostly with the 2014, never seen a 2015 model with it. This is a known issue and there's steps listed in another thread with disconnecting your battery or taking out the SD card and putting it back in which may fix it (those aren't the exact steps to fix it but just from what I remember vaguely)
Old 01-23-22, 01:39 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Originally Posted by dojoman
I’ve chatted with jazzrock once a while about this unit, so far it works flawlessly for both of us. He uses CD player sometime and I listen to OTA radio. In this case we do have to switch back to OEM. In our case if a phone calls come through Lexion screen switches back to CarPlay automatically which is nice except it cannot switch over to AUX input for audio. In this situation you won’t hear any phone calls unless you manually switch to AUX. It’s a bit confusing at first but once you get what’s going on it’s fine.

You can opt to have Lexus BT connected while using CarPlay to solve this phone call issue but I had an issue where you started playing music in CarPlay and when AUX was already selected you still won’t hear music. The reason is now you have both Lexus BT and CarPlay as speakers and iOS doesn’t know where to output the audio. The only solution is to go to control center in iOS and manually choose CarPlay as speakers.
I listen to CDs on occasion and radio on Lexus at times, though it's become quite rare with added music apps. It's a great unit, plus the larger touchscreen makes it so much more elegant.
swaangin (01-23-22)
Old 01-23-22, 01:44 PM
Kaianuanu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the issue you're talking about is with the actual radio itself. I'm surprised because I thought the problem happened mostly with the 2014, never seen a 2015 model with it. This is a known issue and there's steps listed in another thread with disconnecting your battery or taking out the SD card and putting it back in which may fix it (those aren't the exact steps to fix it but just from what I remember vaguely)
thanks for the response and apologies for hijacking, but I’m desperate to get this solved. I tried a hard reset by disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and by replacing the fuse, it worked for a day then started again. I was unable to locate the sd card, not sure if my model has one? Do you know what I need replaced or how much it will cost? Again thank you so much for your help.

Quick Reply: Long term reviews on Lexion Apple Carplay headunit? (Not 4x4 or any other model)