IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Remote start, yes or no???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-22, 12:47 PM
Gasturbine
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Remote start, yes or no???

I've been getting all kinds of (mis) information over the past few months about whether I have (can have) remote start on my 2014 IS250. Some say yes, some say no, some say you must have Enform, some say you need a subscription, some say you don't, some say Direct Connect, some say you don't need it. To add confusion, Lexus no longer offers the Enform app, and if you download it, it directs you to the black Lexus (non-Enform) app. which does not offer remote start on my car.

Ive even contacted my 3 closest dealerships, and got 3 different answers.

Add the cease of the 3G network at the end of October, adds to just more confusion.

So my questions are these...

1. Is my car even capable of remote start?
2. If yes, what do I need to do to have it factory enabled? (no, I don't care if its just even for this winter)
3. If the answer to #1 is yes, and no to #2, is there ANY work around for it, that can use the factory control/FOB?

Please, no disrespect, but no guesses, or "I believe" replies, Im looking for some solid and known solutions, but if you have a 2014 IS that has a working factory remote start, I would like to hear from you regardless.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-22, 02:05 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Ok...this response does not answer any of your 3 questions...so feel free to ignore.

Have you considered a physical remote start unit?
I got a DS3 for $100 CAD and installed it myself. The vendor programmed the unit for the vehicle as part of the purchase.
It came with installation instructions which were actually pretty good...they were actually for a 2IS, but for this purpose it was basically the same as the 3IS.
If I recall correctly it was less than a dozen wires to connect and everything was under the drivers dash and at the steering column.
It works with the factory fob...3 presses of the Lock button and it starts...you don't even have to hold on the 3rd press like the factory remote start from the fob.
I have a 2014 IS250 AWD as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
Gasturbine (01-24-22), whoismiked (01-24-22)
Old 01-24-22, 02:22 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 287 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
This is the route I went with also. I did not want to pay a reoccurring subscription fee in order to have remote start, so I just went with an aftermarket remote start. Affordable and easy to install.

Same as you, 3 clicks on the factory fob and it starts.
The following users liked this post:
Gasturbine (01-25-22)
Old 01-24-22, 02:51 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Call Bell Lexus, give them your vin. They will tell you if RS is available for your IS. There used to be RS+, that had the app and enform involved but you should be able to use the fob either way. I personally installed RS on my 2014 ES350, easy job, then initialized it myself with Techstream. If you currently have it installed your fob should be able to remote start your car, press lock, in 3 successions with a one second gap between the presses and hold it on the 3rd. After about 4-5 seconds you’ll get another audible beep and the lights will flash and the car will remote start. Last I was on Bell’s website you could still by RS, not RS+, for around 60 bucks. That’s what I paid a year ago and recently viewed it still at that price, it’s regularly over 300 bucks, very easy install, no cutting wires or splicing, you only need techstream once to initialize it, anyone with a cable and the software can do it, no TIS subscription is needed. Frank
Gasturbine (01-25-22)
Old 01-24-22, 02:58 PM
Gasturbine
Driver

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Ok...this response does not answer any of your 3 questions...so feel free to ignore.
Sorry Sasnuke, my frustration is showing thru. Your replies and insight are *always* appreciated!

I havnt bc I really wanted to keep my factory remote, but with your reply, Im going to look into it. Seems my only option at this point anyway.

Thanks!

Old 01-24-22, 02:59 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Sorry it’s correctly called RES and RES+
Gasturbine (01-25-22)
Old 01-24-22, 03:22 PM
jmatc
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone of you with an aftermarket remote start confirm if the car still turns off once the vehicle is started and a door is opened? I've been trying to figure out a way to get around this annoying "safety" feature that comes with the OEM Remote Start.

Please let me know if anyone has a way around this
Old 01-24-22, 05:50 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jmatc
Can anyone of you with an aftermarket remote start confirm if the car still turns off once the vehicle is started and a door is opened? I've been trying to figure out a way to get around this annoying "safety" feature that comes with the OEM Remote Start.

There no way around it being oem or aftermarket. It a Toyota safety so your car doesn’t get stolen with the fob not beings present.

as for the OP I used this with eas of installation. It’s a simple DIY and works with oem fob.
https://shop.mypushcart.com/plug-n-p...0-lexus-is300/
The following 2 users liked this post by laobo979:
Ellingtoni (01-28-22), Gasturbine (01-25-22)
Old 01-25-22, 05:20 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 287 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by jmatc

Yes I can confirm, even with an aftermarket remote start, the car still shuts off after opening the door. As far as I am aware this is a "safety" thing that cannot be bypassed on a Lexus.

Edit: just seen someone above me answered this, sorry for repeating
Old 01-25-22, 06:35 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasturbine
I havnt bc I really wanted to keep my factory remote, but with your reply, Im going to look into it. Seems my only option at this point anyway.
Thanks!
There are several aftermarket remote start units that will work with the factory fob...so no need to carry around a second fob.
You would be limited to the range of the factory fob, so keep that in mind.
Old 01-26-22, 10:48 AM
ISinTN
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by laobo979
There no way around it being oem or aftermarket. It a Toyota safety so your car doesn’t get stolen with the fob not beings present.

as for the OP I used this with eas of installation. It’s a simple DIY and works with oem fob.
https://shop.mypushcart.com/plug-n-p...0-lexus-is300/
Installed this exact same set up in October. Plug and play, had to program it to the car, but extremely simple process. Works flawlessly.
Ellingtoni (01-28-22)
Old 01-27-22, 06:10 AM
Gasturbine
Driver

After more research, I have abandoned the idea of any factory remote start solution. Note to frankymenz, Bell Lexus we’re a bunch of cluster f@#$s, totality worthless.

I have decided to install a First Tech unit, with the optional 5g module, to use with the Drone Mobile app. The cellular cost is only $59.95 per year, with the first 30 days free.

And after reviewing the install procedure, I’ve decided to farm it out to an established shop where the tech has 16 years experience, and a lifetime warranty on parts and installation. Total cost is $399.

Thanks everybody for your input!
kj07xk (01-27-22)
Old 01-27-22, 05:47 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Glad to hear you found a solution and it’s what you really wanted. I’m a tech so for me I typically know what I’m looking for and I install my own parts. I’ve gotten great prices from Bell Lexus Parts, again though I typically know what I’m looking for. Hope the system works well for you, I used to live in Western NY, so I know how nice remote start can be in the cold, I don’t use it a lot now in FL but in the colder months I use it and for $60 it was worth it to me, I don’t really need the long distance ability with an app but I can see someone wanting it when they don’t have direct line of sight with just a fob style remote start.
Gasturbine (01-27-22)