IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25” CarPlay Units?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-22, 06:58 AM
Jushin23
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazzrock
Dojoman will weigh in, but I don't believe you can plug in your iPod into the Lexion unit.
My only regret is not having the installer run the two USB Lexion cables around and out the head unit area instead of leaving them in the glove compartment. It sounds like you'll be able to take care of this.
Just placed the order!

If the iPod doesn’t work with the Lexion unit it’s definitely not the end of the world by any stretch. As for extensions and running in the console, I’m sure I’ll be able to find a gap or something, or I’ll make something, or at worst case a hole and put a grommet to make it looked finished even though it won’t be seen.

Need to find a spot to run the mic where it is inconspicuous/fully hidden. I have wires running up the rear view mirror windshield mount and cover and into headliner from front and rear dashcams I installed (mirror mount actually has 2 small channels that the wires fit perfectly in for a nice finished/hidden look), will need to tuck this up in there as well if possible but maybe can locate it with the factory mic. Will check the shop manual see what I can find/if that’s possible.
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (03-03-22)
Old 03-03-22, 08:21 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Here are some pics how to hookup Beatsonic Switch to reverse signal. Brown wire from Lexion box is reverse detect signal. Hookup a wire from it to rev signal on beatsonic box in green circle. You can trace the brown wire on the connector it will end up in one of those clear rubber connector, you can tap the signal there you don't need to try and attach at the white connector, it will come off. The brown wire coming from Lexion isn't long so you need to extend the wire all the way to behind the scree since beatsonic which needs to be close to the screen.

I would test out the rev signal with volt meter before wiring them up. Put your car in reverse and measure the voltage off from the leads it should be 12v. When in park should be no voltage.

Last edited by dojoman; 03-03-22 at 08:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dojoman:
Jazzrock (03-03-22), Jushin23 (03-03-22)
Old 03-03-22, 08:55 AM
Ruzifan
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just get a GROM Vlin2. the best

Old 03-03-22, 02:30 PM
Jushin23
Rookie

Originally Posted by dojoman
Here are some pics how to hookup Beatsonic Switch to reverse signal. Brown wire from Lexion box is reverse detect signal. Hookup a wire from it to rev signal on beatsonic box in green circle. You can trace the brown wire on the connector it will end up in one of those clear rubber connector, you can tap the signal there you don't need to try and attach at the white connector, it will come off. The brown wire coming from Lexion isn't long so you need to extend the wire all the way to behind the scree since beatsonic which needs to be close to the screen.

I would test out the rev signal with volt meter before wiring them up. Put your car in reverse and measure the voltage off from the leads it should be 12v. When in park should be no voltage.

Excellent! Thank you for providing this, should not be an issue hooking this up….SHOULD not!

I’ll post if I run into any snags and/or once all installed. Not sure how long it’ll take to get here but don’t expect it for a week or 2.
Old 03-03-22, 03:51 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jushin23
Excellent! Thank you for providing this, should not be an issue hooking this up….SHOULD not!

I’ll post if I run into any snags and/or once all installed. Not sure how long it’ll take to get here but don’t expect it for a week or 2.
You should be fine since i had another member wanting to do the same. Two of us got it working, the reason you need to hookup with brown wire is that Lexion screen needs to know when you car throws into reverse, factory backup camera doesn't need this wire since it's internally connected. But Beatsonic switch works by hijacking this reverse camera input and using as front camera. So by hooking up rev out from beatsonic it's telling Lexion to put the screen to backup camera without actually needing for you to put the car in reverse. Not sure I explained this correctly.
Old 03-28-22, 11:38 AM
Jushin23
Rookie

Update - My Lexion unit finally arrived today! Probably get at it this weekend. Hopefully it goes smooth and I don’t have to consult/troubleshoot here!

Plan is to run everything and test while the car is apart, then tackle the front camera wiring. And that’ll be that.

Only questions I have now while looking at all the wiring is, I thought there was an external Mic….I see the connections for the mic but no mic itself. I guess it integrates into the factory mic?

Also if I’m not using the gps, I just need to connect the 2 antennae it comes with to the wifi port and the other one on the other side….I don’t need to have the GPS connected, correct?

I’ll take photos of the install and post when completed!
The following 2 users liked this post by Jushin23:
Jazzrock (03-28-22), swaangin (03-28-22)
Old 03-28-22, 04:46 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Update - My Lexion unit finally arrived today! Probably get at it this weekend. Hopefully it goes smooth and I don’t have to consult/troubleshoot here!

Plan is to run everything and test while the car is apart, then tackle the front camera wiring. And that’ll be that.

Only questions I have now while looking at all the wiring is, I thought there was an external Mic….I see the connections for the mic but no mic itself. I guess it integrates into the factory mic?

Also if I’m not using the gps, I just need to connect the 2 antennae it comes with to the wifi port and the other one on the other side….I don’t need to have the GPS connected, correct?

Looking forward to this. I am still interested in this unit myself, just don't have time rn.
Old 03-28-22, 04:47 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 162 Posts

This is my mic that came with the Lexion unit. You don't need to use it, I'm fairly sure. Not sure about the GPS.
Jushin23 (03-29-22)
Old 03-28-22, 08:49 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

GPS is only used for Android Map app it’s not required for CarPlay.
Jazzrock (03-28-22), Jushin23 (03-29-22)
Old 03-29-22, 06:03 AM
Jushin23
Rookie

Hmmm I’ll have to double check the contents and see if there’s a mic but I don’t believe mine came with one. Hopefully it’s not required but during testing if I find that it is, I’ll run the wire up one of the A pillars and into the headliner (or however far I can go near to where I’d put the mics final resting place) for easy access until I get one. I’ve installed mics like those in aftermarket head units in the past, they usually come with pretty long wires anyway.

I wasn’t sure if I’d get some error on the screen or icon or something associated with the gps if it wasn’t plugged in. I’d install it and just hide it if that was the case but if it doesn’t come into play outside of the Android map app then I won’t bother.
Old 03-29-22, 09:49 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

You won’t get any error for not installing GPS. it’s passive device anyway the system doesn’t even know whether you have GPS or not map app just won’t show your position. I took off mine CarPlay still works.
Jushin23 (03-30-22)
Old 03-30-22, 09:28 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
You won’t get any error for not installing GPS. it’s passive device anyway the system doesn’t even know whether you have GPS or not map app just won’t show your position. I took off mine CarPlay still works.
A friend of mine brought up an interesting point about this, she told me when you don't have cell signal in certain areas, your navigation won't work and that's when a car's native navigation comes into play. I thought this would never happen to me and the other day, my phone died and the USB in the IS is so underpowered that it was not turning my phone on. I remembered the address and put it in thru the OEM nav and it worked good.
Jazzrock (03-30-22)
Old 03-30-22, 02:10 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by swaangin
A friend of mine brought up an interesting point about this, she told me when you don't have cell signal in certain areas, your navigation won't work and that's when a car's native navigation comes into play. I thought this would never happen to me and the other day, my phone died and the USB in the IS is so underpowered that it was not turning my phone on. I remembered the address and put it in thru the OEM nav and it worked good.
Yes, this is a good thing about having OEM nav as opposed to relying on Carplay map although you can download Google offline map to your phone it still works without cell signal. Modern smartphones uses cell tower triangulation to find your location as well as low power GPS.
Jazzrock (03-30-22), swaangin (03-30-22)
Old 04-02-22, 09:00 AM
Jushin23
Rookie

So I just installed everything and did a first test before putting everything back together….no power at the screen. I double checked my connections, connectors appear to only be able to be plugged in one way in specific locations so not sure what’s going on. I bypassed the beatsonic interface to rule that out, still no good.

I have a couple connections not being used, nowhere I see to connect them, specifically a bunch of RCA cables labeled auxL and R, and a small black connector labeled UART.

Looks like I’ll need to reach out to Lexion and see what they say.
Old 04-02-22, 09:25 AM
Jushin23
Rookie

Ok I jumped the gun- one of the connectors was not fully clicked and locked it - screen is working!

still not sure about those other cables. I reached out to Lexion to see what those are about. Also have more testing to do - see if I need a mic, integrate my front camera, test CarPlay and setup radio app. But so far so good.

Quick Reply: 10.25” CarPlay Units?