IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25” CarPlay Units?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-22, 09:52 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

You need to make sure to extend the reverse signal wire coming out from Lexion unit. It’s not long enough to reach to screen since that’s where you’d place beatsonic switch. You don’t need to use extra RCA jacks.

Test your backup camera first without hooking up bestsonic. sometime you have to go into system setting to turn on backup camera.
Advanced Setting password 8868123
The following users liked this post:
Jushin23 (04-02-22)
Old 04-02-22, 10:05 AM
Jushin23
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

So I’m going from the brown wire you showed in that previous post to the Rev Out wire from the beatsonic interface - doing that now and will report back.

Factory Mic works so that’s a plus to not have to run external. I was also able to fit the box under the factory radio. I don’t have the Mark Levinson so maybe that’s why I could fit it? It was very tight with all wire harnesses but I was able to stuff it all back there. The box also has mounting holes that line up perfectly with the existing radio bracket.

For radio apps, if I leave wifi will those drop? Is there a setting on here to use cellular service from my phone? Basically how do I get radio reception through a radio app once I leave my wifi network? Maybe this is a stupid question as I haven’t played with the setting much yet.
Old 04-02-22, 11:06 AM
Jushin23
Rookie

So I wired that brown wire from the Lexion unit up and spliced into the brown wire coming from beatsonic which on the interface is labeled Rev Out, and I have no reverse camera when shifting into reverse and no front camera or rear when I press the camera button. I jumped the beatsonic connection so it was going straight through like factory and I still don’t have backup camera when shifting in reverse.

im going to see if I have backup cam when bypassing beatsonic interface altogether but I must have done something wrong. I soldered the wiring and put shrink tube and electric taped everything so I’m confident in my connections, just don’t know which is wrong
Old 04-02-22, 11:48 AM
Jushin23
Rookie

So I have no backup camera at all but I think I know what the issue may be - the male RCA coming off the Lexion unit labled Camera, I plugged that into the female rca also on the lexion harness (the one with the USBs). I’m thinking that may be wrong? Should the Lexion male RCA go to the Beatsonic interface in the output location? Id have to get another cable to connect them as the male coming off the Lexion harness is too short

I put things back together so will have to dig deeper tomorrow but otherwise everything appears good to go!
Old 04-02-22, 02:28 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

When you unplugged OEM screen there’s a black connector where did you connect it to? Not the blue one but black one with lots of pin. There should be another connector from Lexion that looks like this in blue circle. This connector taps backup camera signal from black connector you unhooked from screen and then rca out from this goes into the switch see how mine is? RCA Output from switch goes into Lexion RCA input.

if you want to test back camera without beatsonic connect the blue circle output directly into Lexion input to rule out what went wrong. Also check advanced setting in Lexion. I had to choose another option something like LVDS to turn in my OEM camera.

Last edited by dojoman; 04-02-22 at 02:33 PM.
Jushin23 (04-02-22)
Old 04-02-22, 09:13 PM
Jushin23
Rookie

Originally Posted by dojoman
When you unplugged OEM screen there’s a black connector where did you connect it to? Not the blue one but black one with lots of pin. There should be another connector from Lexion that looks like this in blue circle. This connector taps backup camera signal from black connector you unhooked from screen and then rca out from this goes into the switch see how mine is? RCA Output from switch goes into Lexion RCA input.

if you want to test back camera without beatsonic connect the blue circle output directly into Lexion input to rule out what went wrong. Also check advanced setting in Lexion. I had to choose another option something like LVDS to turn in my OEM camera.

I plugged in the Beatsonic harness that taps into the factory harness into the Lexion harness but you said RCA out from switch goes to Lexion RCA input- I do not have it hooked up this way. First thing I will try is changing that setting you mentioned, then I will rewire the camera connections as you stated.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-22, 03:48 AM
Jushin23
Rookie

I was looking more into this - above is the beatsonic front camera interface diagram. It’s clear that this is my issue - the RCA OUT on beatsonic (red circle) is still going to the input on the beatsonic harness, which then plugged into the old screen. The 24 pin connector that used to go to the old screen (green square) is now plugged into the lexion harness, but there is no pin from the lexion harness that connects to the pin in the beatsonic harness to transfer the RCA OUT signal from the beatsonic interface to the lexion screen.

Basically this confirms what you said - RCA OUT from beatsonic needs to go to RCA IN on new screen, no longer through beatsonic harness. Kinda ashamed that I missed that to begin with! I’m sure that will at least get my rear camera back.

Going to start digging back in shortly. Also need to run the USBs internally into the center console pocket. I bought a flush mount dual USB connector I planned on putting somewhere. There’s a little access panel in the bottom of the center console pocket to access some SRS connections, might mount it in that panel if there’s enough space below without interfering with those connections

I was using wireless CarPlay last night and the audacy app on my phone for radio….I already love this screen, major upgrade. Wish radio was integrated and not using my phone to stream but it worked well. I guess that’s the only way to get radio on the screen when leaving wifi, since I downloaded the audacy app on the screen directly but when not on wifi, I can’t use any of the downloaded apps, gives me an error that I’m not connected to a network.
Old 04-03-22, 09:33 AM
Jushin23
Rookie

Success! I ran the out from the beatsonic interface to the female yellow RCA labeled camera on the Lexion cable and everything works - rear camera in reverse, front and rear when pressing beatsonic camera button. It’s a beautiful thing!

I want to thank everyone who helped answer any questions before and after the install, particularly dojoman and jazzrock.

Will post a few pics. If anyone has questions about anything, feel free and I’ll help as best I can since the install is still fresh.

Time to really play with it and see what daily life is with it. I did have the jog function disappear once last night on one drive. Had to use touchscreen. Then when I left where I was to drive home, job worked fine again. See if that’s a one-off glitch or something I should expect every so often.
Jazzrock (04-04-22)
Old 04-03-22, 09:45 AM
Jushin23
Rookie

Before

Lexion box fit perfect under head unit

Another shot of fitment

Gutting things

Bolt holes in Lexion box line up perfect with factory bracket

Beautiful new screen

Small access panel in center console box

Access panel removed

SRS box and connections under access panel

Perfect gap to run USB cables under console

Flush mounted dual usb cable in panel inside center console

Tested both yellow RCAs labeled camera in Lexion harnesses - female is input to Lexion screen

Further out shot of USB connector in center console
The following 3 users liked this post by Jushin23:
DaveGS4 (05-10-22), Jazzrock (04-04-22), Racer00J (05-03-22)
Old 04-03-22, 10:00 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

You have the cleanest install pretty neat fitting Lexion box under oem radio. I have ML there’s very little room behind radio. Enjoy the CarPlay.
Jazzrock (04-04-22)
Old 04-03-22, 04:56 PM
Jushin23
Rookie

Thank you!

I did run into the jog wheel not functioning again issue. I went out and it worked fine on my drive there. Got back in the car about 3 hours later, no more jog. I need to pay attention and see if there’s some correlation to what is making it not work sometimes. Has anyone had this issue? I admittedly haven’t searched the forums yet, will do so now.
Jazzrock (04-04-22)
Old 04-03-22, 08:57 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jushin23
Thank you!

I did run into the jog wheel not functioning again issue. I went out and it worked fine on my drive there. Got back in the car about 3 hours later, no more jog. I need to pay attention and see if there’s some correlation to what is making it not work sometimes. Has anyone had this issue? I admittedly haven’t searched the forums yet, will do so now.
My joystick also doesn’t work maybe 1 out of 10. I think it’s a bug a bit annoying but it comes back on after a few min of driving. You just need to wait a bit. My CarPlay also sometimes takes a long time to connect, when it works it’s almost right away but sometimes it just waits to connect.
Jazzrock (04-04-22)
Old 04-04-22, 01:10 AM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Jushin23
Success! I ran the out from the beatsonic interface to the female yellow RCA labeled camera on the Lexion cable and everything works - rear camera in reverse, front and rear when pressing beatsonic camera button. It’s a beautiful thing!

I want to thank everyone who helped answer any questions before and after the install, particularly dojoman and jazzrock.

Will post a few pics. If anyone has questions about anything, feel free and I’ll help as best I can since the install is still fresh.

Time to really play with it and see what daily life is with it. I did have the jog function disappear once last night on one drive. Had to use touchscreen. Then when I left where I was to drive home, job worked fine again. See if that’s a one-off glitch or something I should expect every so often.
I'm happy I was able to share a bit of my experience with this wonderful unit. I'm very glad it's working! Dojoman is the real man of knowledge when it comes to Lexion and CarPlay/Android Auto. Enjoy!
The following 3 users liked this post by Jazzrock:
dojoman (04-04-22), Jushin23 (04-04-22), ReynChan (04-12-22)
Old 04-04-22, 01:13 AM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
My joystick also doesn’t work maybe 1 out of 10. I think it’s a bug a bit annoying but it comes back on after a few min of driving. You just need to wait a bit. My CarPlay also sometimes takes a long time to connect, when it works it’s almost right away but sometimes it just waits to connect.
I have the same experience. Sometimes the joystick doesn't work for a minute or so upon connecting to Lexion. Then it works fine. Same with the connection as Dojoman described. Minor issues really.
dojoman (04-04-22)
Old 04-04-22, 04:52 AM
Jushin23
Rookie

If you guys are experiencing the same then at least I know it’s not something isolated with my unit. I’ll have to see if it comes back mid-drive next time it happens. Does appear random.

Haven’t experienced zlink not connecting or taking a while yet. I’m very happy with how fast the system starts up from engine on to CarPlay connected.

Definitely not a deal breaker as the touchscreen functions fine and I’m using my phone anyway stream radio and google maps so all functions are accessible by other means for those times where the jog wheel doesn’t work on startup.

I have about a 13 hour drive to make in my very near future so having this screen is major.
Jazzrock (04-04-22)

Quick Reply: 10.25” CarPlay Units?