IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25” CarPlay Units?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-22, 08:31 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Jushin23
Hmm this happened to me again after the cr being off a few hours between starts, and no matter what I try I cannot get it to reconnect. Tried the above 2 solutions, and several other combos of turning off and turning back on settings in the zlink app settings and the zlink settings in the main screen settings. Wouldn’t care this happens if I had a quick way to reconnect but for whatever reason for me, there doesn’t seem to be a way other than powering the screen off and back on, at least not one I’ve been able to find yet.

If I can find a way or a newer zlink apk or something and have success, I’ll post back. Any other suggestions are welcome!
This is annoying problem, it happened to me yesterday too. The more you drive the more you will encounter. It's not iOS related i've started my phone from scratch and no Apple watch paired either. Zlink app is quite old it never gets updated through settings in the app but needs to update through Android OS.
Old 05-10-22, 09:57 AM
Jushin23
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
This is annoying problem, it happened to me yesterday too. The more you drive the more you will encounter. It's not iOS related i've started my phone from scratch and no Apple watch paired either. Zlink app is quite old it never gets updated through settings in the app but needs to update through Android OS.
Is there an .apk of any new version? Or never gets updated separate outside of an Android OS update? Speaking of .apk, how can we install an .apk outside of an update?
I’m looking to install Rockbox bc I can’t yet figure out how to get the screen to read the iPod file system outside of the iTunes database. I put Rockbox on the iPod itself but no dice. It’s unrelated to anything - main Q is how to install an .apk from a USB drive.
Old 05-10-22, 02:46 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Lexion unit starting to have issues with mouse pad?
Old 05-10-22, 03:27 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Is there an .apk of any new version? Or never gets updated separate outside of an Android OS update? Speaking of .apk, how can we install an .apk outside of an update?
I’m looking to install Rockbox bc I can’t yet figure out how to get the screen to read the iPod file system outside of the iTunes database. I put Rockbox on the iPod itself but no dice. It’s unrelated to anything - main Q is how to install an .apk from a USB drive.
zlink does not have .apk it is part of the OS, so in order to update zlink MCU needs to be updated. That was what I was told, it's not a separate app. I have same zlink version as yours even though your unit is much newer. Today I encountered the same waiting screen and I went to Settings within zlink and exit out it starts to connect to my phone.
Old 05-10-22, 08:15 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

I haven't had any Lexion connection issues for quite awhile now. Just lucky, I guess. I know my zlink is not as up to date as you guys. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Or something.
Old 05-10-22, 11:26 PM
wongnee
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazzrock
I haven't had any Lexion connection issues for quite awhile now. Just lucky, I guess. I know my zlink is not as up to date as you guys. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Or something.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

AGREE!
Old 05-11-22, 04:05 AM
Jushin23
Rookie

Originally Posted by wongnee
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

AGREE!
I definitely subscribe to that mantra!

Now I’m getting a new thing going on - It will connect but the bluetooth connection repeatedly drops. Over and over and over. If I turn off enable CarPlay in the Bluetooth settings on my iPhone for the specific connection, it will not drop and it stay staying Connected on the phone. Of course then it doesn’t provide any functionality to the screen but it’ll see the phone and stay in connecting with the Apple logo and orange box cycling as if it’s loading. Once I turn enable CarPlay back on on the phone for the connection, it’ll show the CarPlay screen on Lexion as if it’s all working, but a few seconds later the Bluetooth connection drops. I can tap Not Connected on the phone to get it to reconnect, it’ll show connected for maybe 3-5 seconds then go back to not connected. I disabled the Lexus Bluetooth, not sure if that did anything. Disconnected and reconnected to the android wifi which may have help it stay connected longer but it still dropped 10-15 minutes later.

Eventually it’ll stay connected longer but it’s not reliable. Not sure what changed - took a 4 1/2 drive with no issue, then got the whole waiting thing with zlink failing to connect, now dealing with this new issue. 😡

I’ll have to reach out to Reyn again, see if he can solve this as he did my jog wheel issue, which has still not failed since that update.

Old 05-11-22, 04:55 AM
Jushin23
Rookie

Strange - I just got in the car, it went to connect and stayed in waiting. I checked Bluetooth on the phone, it said not connected. I tap it, it spins forever and doesn’t connect. I tap the info, forget device. Then it finds the screen, tap connect, it’s connects and the screen shows the CarPlay screen. Then the Bluetooth connection on my phone says not connected (as expected and described in my last post) yet the connection to the screen never dropped or anything weird. Also phone was no connected to the android wifi either.

I can’t make any sense of it!
Old 05-11-22, 09:59 PM
wongnee
Intermediate

Strange - I just got in the car, it went to connect and stayed in waiting. I checked Bluetooth on the phone, it said not connected. I tap it, it spins forever and doesn’t connect. I tap the info, forget device. Then it finds the screen, tap connect, it’s connects and the screen shows the CarPlay screen. Then the Bluetooth connection on my phone says not connected (as expected and described in my last post) yet the connection to the screen never dropped or anything weird. Also phone was no connected to the android wifi either.

I can’t make any sense of it!
1.) Perform a factory reset inside of the unit's Android settings, so as to give it a clean start all over again;
2.) Make sure you have deleted all Bluetooth profiles in the original Lexus console and on your iPhone's Bluetooth page.
3.) Try entering the car without another device(s) connected to the Bluetooth of your phone, leaving just the iPhone + the CarPlay unit, 1 to 1.

For me, the above 1:1 setup is extremely stable. It was not good when I had the Huawei watch connected.

Alternatively, you may try using the USB to Lightning cable and use WIRED CarPlay and see if that is stable or not.
(This is just for comparison between wired [USB] and Bluetooth connection)

Last edited by wongnee; 05-11-22 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-12-22, 06:36 PM
Jushin23
Rookie

Originally Posted by wongnee
1.) Perform a factory reset inside of the unit's Android settings, so as to give it a clean start all over again;
2.) Make sure you have deleted all Bluetooth profiles in the original Lexus console and on your iPhone's Bluetooth page.
3.) Try entering the car without another device(s) connected to the Bluetooth of your phone, leaving just the iPhone + the CarPlay unit, 1 to 1.

For me, the above 1:1 setup is extremely stable. It was not good when I had the Huawei watch connected.

Alternatively, you may try using the USB to Lightning cable and use WIRED CarPlay and see if that is stable or not.
(This is just for comparison between wired [USB] and Bluetooth connection)
I started with step 2 this morning and after doing that, it is now back to auto connected as it did when I first installed it. Haven’t experienced it get stuck in waiting yet but needs more testing. Oddly enough, in my phones Bluetooth list, it still shows Not Connected next to zlink, yet it is definitely connected and working.

I’ll keep testing and see what happens. It is now 1:1 connection and is back to how it was so that’s at least a step in the right direction.
Old 05-12-22, 07:41 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

I started with step 2 this morning and after doing that, it is now back to auto connected as it did when I first installed it. Haven’t experienced it get stuck in waiting yet but needs more testing. Oddly enough, in my phones Bluetooth list, it still shows Not Connected next to zlink, yet it is definitely connected and working.

I’ll keep testing and see what happens. It is now 1:1 connection and is back to how it was so that’s at least a step in the right direction.
BT only connects in the beginning for handshaking, real connection is through WiFi. Check your WiFi it’s connected to something. BT doesn’t have enough bandwidth for CarPlay.
The following users liked this post:
wongnee (05-12-22)
Old 05-12-22, 09:37 PM
wongnee
Intermediate

Bluetooth is just for establishing a connection, it switches to Wi-Fi once connected.
CarPlay is a Wi-Fi thing.
Old 05-13-22, 04:45 AM
Jushin23
Rookie

Got in the car this morning…stuck in waiting.

Tried all the on/off stuff with Bluetooth and wifi even though both said connected already, couldn’t get zlink to change over to connecting.

I tried restoring to factory settings but the passcode to do that is different than the advanced settings one. Tried searching for it but couldn’t find it here/google. Anyone have that?

Got to where I was going, turned the car off. A few minutes later, car back on, connected fine.

just to add more weirdness, another strange thing happened when it reconnected - the wifi signal was showing the little wifi bars icon which it didn’t before. So I’m in CarPlay but my phone and therefore the screen wasn’t getting any actual internet. I turned wifi off on my phone then on again, it reconnected to the screen but now did not show the wifi bars and it worked fine.

This is getting old real quick. If I have to switched to wired and that resolves all the issues then that’s what I’ll do, but would like this to work as intended. Is switching to wired just a matter of turning off the wifi and Bluetooth and wireless auto connect in the screen settings?

I’ll reach out to Reyn, see if he can provide any other solutions as well.
Old 05-13-22, 09:49 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Got in the car this morning…stuck in waiting.

Tried all the on/off stuff with Bluetooth and wifi even though both said connected already, couldn’t get zlink to change over to connecting.

I tried restoring to factory settings but the passcode to do that is different than the advanced settings one. Tried searching for it but couldn’t find it here/google. Anyone have that?

Got to where I was going, turned the car off. A few minutes later, car back on, connected fine.

just to add more weirdness, another strange thing happened when it reconnected - the wifi signal was showing the little wifi bars icon which it didn’t before. So I’m in CarPlay but my phone and therefore the screen wasn’t getting any actual internet. I turned wifi off on my phone then on again, it reconnected to the screen but now did not show the wifi bars and it worked fine.

This is getting old real quick. If I have to switched to wired and that resolves all the issues then that’s what I’ll do, but would like this to work as intended. Is switching to wired just a matter of turning off the wifi and Bluetooth and wireless auto connect in the screen settings?

I’ll reach out to Reyn, see if he can provide any other solutions as well.
Did you try going into zlink app setting while showing waiting? Settings is on same screen just go in and come out, mine starts to connect afterward. It’s a weird bug.
Old 05-13-22, 10:04 AM
Jushin23
Rookie

Originally Posted by dojoman
Did you try going into zlink app setting while showing waiting? Settings is on same screen just go in and come out, mine starts to connect afterward. It’s a weird bug.
I did, unfortunately it stays stuck in waiting for me. Not sure what is different between yours and mine but something is making mine still not work after going in and out of settings. I try again, see if I didn’t go in and exit out fast enough maybe?

if that worked anytime it got stuck in waiting, I’d be fine with that. But if not, I need to find a solution to this.

Quick Reply: 10.25” CarPlay Units?